Topic ClosedJohn Greaves in Paris 26/03/08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Greaves in Paris 26/03/08
    Posted: March 28 2008 at 10:28

Two days ago I saw John Greaves in concert at the Théâtre de l’atelier a small venue where he presented two weeks after his New Morning “electric” concert (which I missed) an acoustic set, including John on piano & vocals, Jeanne Added on vocals, Scott Taylor on accordeon and David Lewis on trumpet and Flügelhorn.

I always like to discover new places in Paris and I’ve never been to the Théâtre de l’atelier. I  passed twice before the small passageway leading to the atelier and had to ask my way before I finally found it. It was rainy and cold and in the small one room theatre only a few spectators deep in their books and some people including the musicians at the bar!! A nice cozy place with a good dry acoustic and about fifty lose seats in a half circle around the musician area (no stage). Time for some wine and a chat during which I learned that John will present this summer “Kew Rhône” in concert with special guest Lisa Herman...more of this soon!

About 8:30 the audience reached about fourty people and the concert started. The first part found  John alone on piano playing older songs among them the great  adaption of Dylan Thomas’ “Green Fuse” and “All summer long”.

For the second part Jeanne Added and David Lewis joined John and presented a great “Kew Rhône” medley. Jeanne”s voice and technique is absolutely stunning, a former classical trained soprano, she is moving for some time now in avantgarde, rock & jazz fields.... perfect interplay between the trio....and great music that works  as well in this chamber setting.

For the third part the trio became a quartet, featuring Scott Taylor on accordeon and presenting John’s new record adaptions of  poetry by French poet Paul Verlaine. It was interesting to compare the electric record version with this acoustic setting, giving a special place to Jeanne Added...great settings that work as well acoustic as electric while the small bistrot like athmosphere  gave an extra edge to the music....the audience appreciated a lot and the “band “ came back for two encores among them “Saturne “ a cover of a Georg Brassens song.

After the concert most people stayed and had  dinner and discussions  with the musicians, a great evening and a place where I will go back soon.

Edited by Alucard - March 28 2008 at 10:29
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 21:08
Sounds cool. thanks for the report, Martin.
And enjoy Thinking Plague...

Post Reply Post Reply