Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe only good thread is a mort thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which "mort..." comes closest to knocking you dead?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.76%]
1 [5.88%]
2 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [23.53%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
2 [11.76%]
2 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
2 [11.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The only good thread is a mort thread.
    Posted: April 18 2008 at 02:08
I'd like to prepare a proper opening post, but it's late: Gerard Manset, Maajun, and Blut au Nord are not in the archives.

For those at PA, here are the albums with hyper text links to the album pages:

Les Morts Vont Vite
(23 ratings)

Le Bal du Rat Mort
(2 ratings)

Gong Est Mort? Vive Gong!
(11 ratings)

Morte Di Un Amore
(7 ratings)

Mort Aux Vaches
not rated

This poll really started as an excuse to mention Komintern and Shub-Niggurath, but Gerard Manset is worth mentioning too.  I haven't heard the other album choices -- not even Gong's live album.  I expect there will be some people at the site into the avant nordic death metal of Blut aus Nord.  For Italian prog lovers there is Randone, and for post-rockers, there is the US band Tarantel.  Who here knows Maajun?
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 04:18
I might go for Shub, but you must include Morte Macabre! 1,2 and 4 are my three favorites here. 

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 04:34
Le jour de la mortTongueWink

Nice serie of poll you're starting hereClap

MAAJUN should be in the Archives!!!AngryWink

Edited by Sean Trane - April 18 2008 at 09:52
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 09:42
The description of Maajun is very interesting. 
An excellent serie of polls!Thumbs%20Up
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 11:26
Hi LOGAN , you are overdoing yourselfThumbs%20Up....the best polls on PA...original and funny!!

Again, how do you know all those french obscurities living so far in British Columbia?? in Quebec, i might understand, but BC???? bravo, anyway.

I don't have all your knowledge, i just know 3 of them and my choice will be GERARD MANSET-La Mort D'orion.......so good, so unique athmosphere!........
....otherwise i know only the Gong album and KOMINTERN
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 11:31
If I arrange all of the letters in this poll, I'm sure I can create a band name I'll recognize. SmileWink
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 11:38

Komintern - Le Bal Du Rat Mort

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 13:25
Rocktopus: You won't find Mort Macabre on the list, because my original conception of the poll was merely to highlight albums with the word "Mort" (or certain variations) in it, so I discarded it (was planning to mention it in my first post, but forgot).  That said, there was no good reason to limit the options that way, and I offered chances to vote for other options that didn't quite fit my intended parameters (nor did I mention that I has intended to limit this to "mort" album names), so I should have given that as an option within the expansion.  I'm glad you brought it up (and thanks for the myspace page) cause it would have been better to include it, good stuff, and might bring more people into the poll.  Perhaps I'll edit it in, and remove the Circus Mort option. 

Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Hi LOGAN , you are overdoing yourselfThumbs%20Up....the best polls on PA...original and funny!!

Again, how do you know all those french obscurities living so far in British Columbia?? in Quebec, i might understand, but BC???? bravo, anyway.

I don't have all your knowledge, i just know 3 of them and my choice will be GERARD MANSET-La Mort D'orion.......so good, so unique athmosphere!........

I was long into French electronic music.  Two things helped with that: A university radio program I would listen to where one of the people was into that kind of music and a good library which had many relevant CDs.  I was also quite familiar with Quebecois jazz because of the jazz festival we have here in Vancouver every here, and I frequently listen to the French CBC radio station for music (and have caught good music on TV5).

Later on it was because of the internet.  I used to go through the streaming mp3s at this very site looking for music that I liked, and I just found that French prog tended to have qualities that really appealed to me.  As I said in the other poll, there's something about French arts that has long appealed to me -- especially film.  I went into film studies to a considerable extent because of French language cinema -- that also exposed me to lots of French music.  I have spent some time in Quebec, and that helps too.

The internet has proved the real ear opener, and I've been fortunate to find others who share my passion, have helped to guide me, and have made considerable effort to revive or develop interest in albums/ artists, and expose people to what is a very fertile progressive music national or provincial tradition.  I'm indebted to the passion of others.  I'd list all the people at this site whose reviews, recommendations, writing of bios etc. have helped me, but I don't want to miss anyone.   You know who you are...  If it weren't for dedicated/ enthusiastic people such as Assaf, Christer, Yukorin, laplace, Hughes, members of ZART, and many others, I wouldn't know nearly so much.  And of course, a great deal of people here have broadened my horizons to a world (some being "out of this world") of progressive music.

Good choice with La Mort d'Orion, that is a terrific album.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 08:58
Tie between Shub Niggurath and Komintern!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 16:26
Douce Mort from Nemo.  Not an album name but a song, but that is the extent of my Mort knowledge
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 17:39
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Tie between Shub Niggurath and Komintern!

They are both terrific indeed.  People should check out PA's streaming "Shrubbery" [sic] MP3 "La Ballad de Lenore" -- hyperlink ahead --> SHUB-NIGGURATH

And for Komintern, here are some youtube clips: CLICK & CLICK
And an mp3 from the WFMU blog [Bal Pour un Rat Vivant mp3]

Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Douce Mort from Nemo.  Not an album name but a song, but that is the extent of my Mort knowledge

That is a good song.  Some other pieces that I think are very worthy of mention with the word "Mort" in it are Abus Dangereux's "Le roy est mort, vive le roy," Eskaton's "Mort de Tristans" Art Zoyd's "La Mort et les Statues," "Cet a Mort Vibre l'air" by La Scite des Timides.." and Pollen's "Vivre la mort." Lots of good "Mort" ones.  Voivod's etc.

Now, just for fun, one of my favourite Mort...s.  Morticia.

Gomez "That's French, Morticia!" *signals amorous intent*

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 20:28
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

While I truly love Shub-Niggurath's and Komintern's, I too have given my vote to this album, which is superb.  I think it would be an excellent addition to the archives.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 04:03
The only mort in my collection is Cum mortuis in ligua morta, two versions.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 23:47
How about the spooky Morte Macabre and their stunning Symphonic Holocaust . Ca c'est froid!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 13:17
It is very good.  Despite having intentionally omitted it from the list originally (since my aim was to focus on "mort..." albums), there was no good reason not to include it as an option.  Mind you, the specific options tend to be not so important as the discussion or posts that inspire it.

But I think I might do another poll for that one of band names at some time... Mort Macabre vs. Shaolin Death Squad vs.  Death vs. Megadeath (for fun) vs. Dead Can Dance etc. called, of course, "The only good poll is a Dead poll... But so many albums with the word dead or death in them too.

My next one might be more of a Science class poll... The Science Group (not yet in) vs. Solution Science Systems (not in) vs. Popular Science's Design for Living (not in) Laurie Anderson's Big Science (will it ever be in?) vs. The Diagram Brothers' Some Marvels of Modern Science (not in) vs. Weird Science (um, yeah) vs. Blotted Science vs. Brian Eno's Before and After Science vs. Forever Einstein's Racket Science vs. Tribal Tech's Rocket Science vs. Landmarq's Science of Coincidence vs. Karda Estra's The Age of Science and Enlightenement vs. whatever.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 13:36
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

My next one might be more of a Science class poll... The Science Group (not yet in) vs. Solution Science Systems (not in) vs. Popular Science's Design for Living (not in) Laurie Anderson's Big Science (will it ever be in?) vs. The Diagram Brothers' Some Marvels of Modern Science (not in) vs. Weird Science (um, yeah) vs. Blotted Science vs. Brian Eno's Before and After Science vs. Forever Einstein's Racket Science vs. Tribal Tech's Rocket Science vs. Landmarq's Science of Coincidence vs. Karda Estra's The Age of Science and Enlightenement vs. whatever.

I had a similar idea (being a scientist) but wanted to also include albums that deal with science in a way, like Nemo's Si partie I+II (genetic engineering).

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 14:43
Knowing only 3 of the albums listed, i may tend for the Shub Niggurath album, the Gong one is pretty nice but itīs not an album i use to play, and the Randone one is just fine.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 20:06
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I had a similar idea (being a scientist) but wanted to also include albums that deal with science in a way, like Nemo's Si partie I+II (genetic engineering).

AHA! You listen to Nemo while engineering Genesis, I knew Avestin that there was something Frankensteinian about you . Wink  The New York (temporarily) madman LOL 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 22:04
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

AHA! You listen to Nemo while engineering Genesis, I knew Avestin that there was something Frankensteinian about you . Wink  The New York (temporarily) madman LOL 

LOL

If I only could post the video I made today of my embryonic stem cells (moving like cardiomyocytes, meaning like cells of heart mucle)... only more proof of your comment...  LOL

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 13:33
That would be an interesting idea of yours, Assaf (rather than just another preferred album poll, one that focuses on the science behind the albums -- unfortunately, I know my speculative and pseudo-science rather better than hard science being just an arts guy).  My wife, who is  a chemical engineer, works in bio-chem.  I feel that I missed my calling by not going into the sciences,, but an aversion to mathematics took me down another path (but if I'd found my true-calling, or at least a somewhat satisfactory career, I probably wouldn't have found my way here).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>