Originally posted by James James wrote:

That's not a huge issue for me, because I don't get out much. LOL  

Really? No way!

Office '97? jeez I was still in middle school when I last used that.LOL
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 19:05
That's why I'll likely not include it, because I will use OpenOffice.  I also will use AVG, I've never had any issues with it, although I guess McAfee could be useful.  It's an extra cost though and if I can keep the price down, I will.

I didn't mean 97... 2007 I think.  97 is what I have on this 2000 machine. LOL  Although, as I said, I've been using OpenOffice without much of an issue.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 19:06
I really don't like the layout of the new version, but I got it for free since I'm a poor college student.Big%20smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 19:07

I've built several XP desktops that only have SATA drives without problem.

One solution for the dual boot issue is to install XP on a USB drive and boot from that.

Buy the battery upgrade whether you use it or not (though I do not see the logic in buying a laptop if you aren't going to be taking it out - you get more bang-for-your-buck in a desktop, a better keyboard and plenty of room for extra harddrives and other such fancy peripherals inside the goddam box - I see people use laptops with external keyboards, mice, and monitors littering their already crowded desk and scratch my head in bewilderment and wonder)

One other thing to remember with laptops is the harddrives do not last as long as those in a desktop. I've rebuilt several laptops where the harddrive has simply stopped working (you can do the iPod trick of giving them a slap to unstick them, but once you've had to do that you know it's time to replace it)

I have used Dell extensively in the past, but I am now going back to Novatech.co.uk since I have found no improved reliability or quality for the extra cost - I also find Dells to be just a little too non-standard and quirky for my personal tastes (minor things like the motherboard being upside down when compared to a "standard" pc - not the end of the world by any means, but it does mean Dell-only upgrades and replacements). Also the pre-installed crap that Dells are delivered with is a pain in the butt to remove when your buying several PCs at once - but for a one-off its not so much of a hassle. (Why do I want AOL pre-installed on a business machine??)

have fun Wink
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 19:19
Well I want to keep this old dog (this 2000 run 1GHz. high speed (sic) desktop) running for a while yet.  I still use older applications and do occasionally need to use DOS, so having this machine as a back up will be very useful.  I also have space issues.  I can barely put anything down on this computer table, from lack of space.

I don't plan to use an extra screen or keyboard with it, but I will get an external mouse, as the laptops I've dabbled with I always find annoying with the touchpad.  I guess I will get used to it though.

The 1 Tb. external will have to wait, but that's not too much of an issue, because I have a 250 Gb. internal drive in an external case.  However, the fan is crap and it's very noisy, so I probably am better off getting a proper external drive.

I am having fun... I still cannot pluck up the courage to add it to the basket, although I have got Dell to tot it all up... now I need to justify thatI need all that.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 19:35
You won't get use to the touch-pad - infact you might even want to disable it.

Laptop keyboards are not everyone's cup of tea - the travel and feel is not the same as a full keyboard and is not as comfortable if you do a lot of writing, especially as you cannot adjust the position and tilt as easily. Personally I miss the num-pad and cursor-keys as well. The other downer on a laptop is the monitor is a lot lower so ergonomically it is not in the best position for extended periods of used. (I'm not knocking your choice - I have both and use them regularly - nothing beats being able to take my laptop into the garden in the summer, even if I have to hide under a tarp to see the screen)

Once you've decided which Dell you'd like - look at the Novatech site and see what they have to offer (they've a showroom in Reading)

Edited by darqDean - April 23 2008 at 19:35
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 19:46
Well eventually, when I've got the space and the funds, I'll get a new desktop as well.  Being able to use it anywhere in the house is an advantage (as long as the wireless is able to find the router) and it means I can, if necessary, take it with me to Records Offices and other places I may do research at.

I'm hoping it'll all work with the router upstairs and I won't need to purchase another router... I still can access the Internet via this machine, but I want online access with the laptop, obviously.

Will it therefore work in conjunction with a Netgear Router?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 19:56
My Netgear DG834G works with my laptop in any room in the house and out in the garden. But my laptop receives strong signals from both my neighbours routers.

The only issue I've had with the Netgear is I needed to put a high-gain aerial on my daughters desktop, but I think that was because of the amount of debris on her bedroom floor blocking the signal.

I know a few people who have had problems with Netgear MIMO routers (the ones without external aerials) where two or more solid walls stood between router and PC.

Edited by darqDean - April 23 2008 at 19:57
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 20:22
I think we have a DG834G (it could be a different letter...), it's supposed to support 108 Mbps, but I'm only getting a connection on my wireless dongle (also a Netgear) at half of that speed.  Plus the light always flashes on and off.  I'm not sure what speed the router is currently at, as that is in my parent's room.  I'll try and check tomorrow.

My current connection speed is: 48 Mbps (occasionally going up to 54 Mbps)

That's not good.  I think it's the ISP, rather than the hardware.

My wireless picks up my neighbours router, but it's only about 25% or less strength, but we have big thick walls between us.

I just checked and a third connection has been found... interesting!  That wasn't there before. LOL

Only 8% strength... I wonder if that's my other neighbour's son, who's moved back from his old digs in Staffordshire?

Edited by James - April 23 2008 at 20:26
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 20:38
The 48Mbps is not your ISP as it is the wireless connection speed and not related to your broadband connection - the DG834G is a 54Mbps box - the DG834GT is the 108Mbps one - or it could be your dongle is a 54Mbps one.
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 20:57
Originally posted by darqDean darqDean wrote:

Once you've decided which Dell you'd like - look at the Novatech site and see what they have to offer (they've a showroom in Reading)

That site was awesome - if I lived in the UK I'd be inclined to shop there.  Check out their 17" laptop, James, it seems comparable to the Dell but at only £600*.

* so much work to write that - I have to google "pound symbol" LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 21:13
Originally posted by darqDean darqDean wrote:

The 48Mbps is not your ISP as it is the wireless connection speed and not related to your broadband connection - the DG834G is a 54Mbps box - the DG834GT is the 108Mbps one - or it could be your dongle is a 54Mbps one.

Yes, we have the GT router.

The dongle should work at 108 Mbps as well.  I cannot remember the model number, let me see if I can find it.

It's a Netgear WG111T 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0, so I should be able to get speeds of 108 Mbps.  I did upgrade the driver a while back and it caused all sorts of issues... I've sorted them out by downgrading again.  The update supports WPA.  I still couldn't get over 54 Mbps.

Actually, I am using the newer driver.  The old one was more stable and didn't fluctuate as much.  I do know Tiscali have had annoying amounts of problems though and the Internet has gone down quite a few times.

Pat: too late... Embarrassed

Edited by James - April 23 2008 at 21:16
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 21:22
Pulled the trigger, did you?  Well you'll surely enjoy the upgrade...though to be honest, I'm still going strong (currently typing this on) with a 1200 MHz Athlon (512 MB RAM) box that I bought in 2001 - replaced hard drive and video card so far but that's it.  
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 21:31
Well mine's older than that... I have got an Athlon though, a K7 1 GHz with only 392k RAM.

My graphics card though, although it's only PCI (not AGP or PCI Express) (which is one of the reasons I could do with a new machine) has 256 Mb RAM, so in that regard, it's quite healthy, although it's an old card now.

HDD space is where I'm let down and moving and re-installing isn't really what I want to do.  True, I have to do it on my laptop, but it'll be a fresh install and all the unnecessary crap (especially Win2k only installs) will not be required, so it should initially run quite smoothly.

Even my current favourite computer game, Neverwinter Nights, struggles on this 1 GHz. (ideally it needs 1 .3 GHz. with the expansions as a minimum) and some Genealogy Software I've tried uses all my processor speed (it uses Java) and therefore slows my computer down to a halt.  This poor machine isn't very well.  The screensaver slows things down, AVG slows things down and when I put a Music CD on, if I'm using Firefox, it also makes my Music slowdown and sound peculiar.

It means I'll also be able to use the XP version of WinAMP (my MP3 player of choice).

Edited by James - April 23 2008 at 21:32
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 21:38
I'd recommend Fisher Price, their laptops are very cheap and really powerful!  Plus you don't support the Windows regime this way, and you'll be the coolest kid in the UK. Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Bluesaga - April 23 2008 at 21:39
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 21:41
Originally posted by Bluesaga Bluesaga wrote:

I'd recommend Fisher Price, their laptops are very cheap and really powerful!  Plus you don't support the Windows regime this way, and you'll be the coolest kid in the UK. Thumbs%20Up

If I can put Linux on it I'm all over this.  Cool
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 21:43
Eet teetchis u 2 speel 2
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 02:27
James is gunna get THE DELL... FROM HELL MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHABig%20smileLOL

I just had to do that joke.
The Fisher Price doesn't look too shabby either, but perhaps a little slow for Neverwinter Nights.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 02:30
I doubt you could even play Sudoko on that thing. LOL  I can't play Sudoko on this, so how am I supposed to on a Fisher Price?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 03:00
Originally posted by James James wrote:

You're potentially a lifesaver!  These look much better.  Thanks!

I'm just hoping XP and SATA will work together, I'm sure they will.  I'm still worried about a high specification machine like this running XP without issues.... I don't know if nVidia even do drivers for XP in that range, I guess they do, otherwise Dell wouldn't be offering it.

I have a lot of choices too... hmm, a better graphics card would be nice, just in case I ever do decide to buy graphics intensive games

Of course XP works on new (SATA) laptops ... the only potential problem is that if you need to re-install you're going to need a floppy disk with the SATA drivers which sucks because modern computers don't have floppy disk drives. There are ways though to modify the XP installation CD ROM so that it contains the drivers.

About graphics intense games on laptops: It is possible, but of course the graphics card can't be upgraded so the time frame during which you can play new games is more limited than with a normal computer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>