Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Strawberry Bricks Guide To Progressive Rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Strawberry Bricks Guide To Progressive Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 14:09
Excellent website. I don't compare it to PA, because you approach the "subject" from a different perspective, more in a historical sense, like this band fits in here and that group's niche was there etc ... . I haven't been to it in a while, think I'll check it out now.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
djfake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 05:04
Yes, I started the website around 2000. It's just one person, btw!
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 21:42
They have a site, right. I find it quite interesting. Not as massive as PA, but it has its' charms. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
djfake View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 20:59
Thanks for all the kudos regarding the book. If anyone would like to comment directly to the author, I'd love to hear from you. 
inrainbows View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 18:53
I did! , it is definitively a very nice and usual guide to prog, but first of all it is organized very well.

Album by album, year by year, full discographies of each Band, details and comparisons.
I like to see at once e.g. 1976 releases worth listening!

The clue is author's personal lists for 33 essential prog albums of all time and 33 prog deep cuts, elements of style.
A great overview indeed Smile
gsolman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 23:52
Anyone get this yet?

I need a good prog reference manual and thought this might fit.......
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 14:48
I told the author to check this page !!!

Nice comments Phil !
Prog On !
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 15:58

The Strawberry Bricks Guide To Progressive Rock

Charles Snider, 2007

Cover art by Matt Howarth

Progressive rock has been the object of many essays and guides but “The trawberry bricks guide to progressive rock” written by Charles Snider (2007) figures among the top of the list due to a brilliantly documented work. This practical book conciliates descriptive, analytical and critical approches, focusing the subject on the golden era of progressive rock, also reserving a place to the historical roots of this musical scene. Before opening the guide with a representative list of classic (pre) progressive albums published between 1968 and 1979, Charles Snider starts the essay with a prologue appropriate to a discussion around the historical situation / musical context and about specific aesthetic / formal elements that distinguish progressive rock to conventional, standard pop music.  The restrospective list and reviews that accompagny the guide cover all the progressive rock musical spectrum (from symphonic prog, jazz rock, art rock to krautrock and electronic prog). This essay is obviously focused on the  giants of progressive rock but it also gives an important mention to obscure bands that are now cult (Clearlight, Heldon, Far East Family Band, Birth Control...). Consequently this guide can ravish all fans of prog rock classic period. It contributes to an ecclectic, global comprehension to the developpement of the genre. This is a massive, complex collection but there’s only one negative point I would like to notice: When the author speaks about the emergence of prog rock musical identity I estimate that too many attention is given to low musical pop-ish aspects introduced by the Beatles...I would like to read a more exhaustive chapter about the influences of high musical spheres that don’t belong to rock music, I mean classical music, free-jazz, sixties minimalism, raga meditations and avant garde.  

Highly recommended and definitely a good introduction to progressive rock magical / timeless musical world.

Philippe Blache

Edited by philippe - April 23 2008 at 20:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123