Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes a review a good review?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 19:18
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

More great stuff there to digest...thanks guys.  Ghost...point 3 gets a big YUP from me.  TGM, had not considered that half stars were unprofessional, sometimes its very hard to pick between 3 and 4 especially.  I'll have to think about  that.  Debrewguy, all good points except your last one: The obvious superiority of Italian prog over the other lesser genres MUST be pointed out early and oftenLOL

Which makes Ange, Klaatu & Split Enz all the more amazing as the exception to the rule that RPI rules.

P.S. Me and my 40 RPI albums agree with you re : genre superiority. Tongue And that's not counting the PFM & Le Orme collections.

Ange...hell yeah!  I still haven't heard Emile yet though so I  have that treat to look forward to!!

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 19:21
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Obviouslyrunningallyoursentencestogetherintoonehumongoparargaph.

I'm sorry, I should have used more color and boldness, etc.
Obviouslyrunningallyoursentencestogetherintoonehumongoparargaph...

OK seriously, it's all about perspective...
You have to put some you into the review.
Of course, if you happen to be a jerk, maybe that's not such a good idea.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 28 2008 at 19:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 22:34

Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

More great stuff there to digest...thanks guys.  Ghost...point 3 gets a big YUP from me.  TGM, had not considered that half stars were unprofessional, sometimes its very hard to pick between 3 and 4 especially.  I'll have to think about  that.  Debrewguy, all good points except your last one: The obvious superiority of Italian prog over the other lesser genres MUST be pointed out early and oftenLOL

Which makes Ange, Klaatu & Split Enz all the more amazing as the exception to the rule that RPI rules.

P.S. Me and my 40 RPI albums agree with you re : genre superiority. Tongue And that's not counting the PFM & Le Orme collections.

Ange...hell yeah!  I still haven't heard Emile yet though so I  have that treat to look forward to!!

Klaatu, too. Hope is a perfect merging of rock group & orchestra. Also please note that filming began in Vancouver, British Columbia on December 12, 2007 on the remake of the 1951 classic sci-fi flick "Day The Earth Stood Still" starring Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly, Kathy Bates, and Jaden Smith. There's a push to have Klaatu's music use as the soundtrack. Especially "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft", which would be a perfect fit, given the story.
Klaatu.org has the details on its' main page. Thanks for all your support ahead of time.
Hey, too many people complain about Prog's lack of mainstream visibility. Here's a chance. Let's take it.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 16:50
1) Do you like song x song descriptions, a play by play of each track?    Or do you find this repetitive and boring?

I generally like this when I already have the album. I like to read other opinions about particular tracks, especially albums that have few reviews. The best however is when a reviewer is describing the album and mentions tracks and maybe what he/she considers a highlight or a flaw while talking about the album. Song x song descriptions can get too long if the reviewer gets carried away (heck, it even happened to me haha)

2) Is it better to not go track by track, but to just provide a general overview of the listening experience, speaking more broadly about the songs as a collection rather than individually?

I like a middle ground. Even fantastically written reviews (like Rico's) can make me lose interest when there's not a single mention of one track. I need a few tracks mentioned so maybe I can look them up on youtube. An exception is when the album is not very varied, like an Iron Maiden album or an ambient album, etc.

3) Are comparisons to other bands helpful or is it ultimately unfair because each band is so unique?

Only if the comparisons make sense. I don't wanna read "Opeth is better than Tangerine Dream, so Br00tal"

4) Quotes?  Historical facts?   Comments from the band about the music?  Good to include or not?

Comments from the band? useful when they are old albums to avoid band opinion bias. I don't like historical facts unless they make you understand the music or lyrics.

5) What else do you want the reviewer to include or not include?

When some reviewers give scores to specific songs and then get the average and put the 1-5 star choice. I've seen one who rated the 3 long tracks of Pink Floyd - Animals all 5-star tracks and because the tiny tiny acoustic ditty that surrounds them got 3-stars each, the album ended up with 4 stars. Wacko

_I also don't want any acronyms, unless the acronym is defined the first time that acronym is used in the review.

6) Short, medium, or long reviews?   Assuming all are good quality, do you prefer a concise 1-2 paragraph review or a mammoth mini-book?  Or in-between?

Medium. 2-4 paragraphs.
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 21:46
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

This is random, but Laplace, stop referring to yourself as "this reviewer" and learn to say I.  Forget what your writing teachers told you, it will read better, and it's a review, so it's subjective anyway.

Many people, including myself, find 3rd person preferable. That is, unless the review includes some sort of narrative or personal anecdote. If it isn't one of those exceptions, then I find the review reads better sans first person. (I'm not quite sure what "it's a review, so it's subjective anyway" is supposed to mean).

Keep your reviews the way you always write them lappy. Very high quality (or entertainment value). Clap

Sorry, I just felt the need to respond to that.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 21:49
Originally posted by ClassicRocker ClassicRocker wrote:

Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

This is random, but Laplace, stop referring to yourself as "this reviewer" and learn to say I.  Forget what your writing teachers told you, it will read better, and it's a review, so it's subjective anyway.

Many people, including myself, find 3rd person preferable. That is, unless the review includes some sort of narrative or personal anecdote. If it isn't one of those exceptions, then I find the review reads better sans first person. (I'm not quite sure what "it's a review, so it's subjective anyway" is supposed to mean).

Keep your reviews the way you always write them lappy. Very high quality (or entertainment value). Clap

Sorry, I just felt the need to respond to that.

amen, brother!

Clap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12