FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Waters quote re "Music from Big Pink"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Waters quote re "Music from Big Pink"
    Posted: April 27 2008 at 22:26
Found this today in the Dallas Morning News.

Referring to "Music from Big Pink" by The Band, Roger said:

"That one record changed everything for me.  After Sgt. Pepper, it's the most influential record in the history of rock and roll.  It affected Pink Floyd deeply, deeply, deeply.  Philosophically, other albums may have been more important, like Lennon's first solo album.  But sonically, the way the record's constructed, I think Music from Big Pink is fundamental to everything that happened after it."

Wow.  I've always been an admirer of The Band but I guess I'd better pull out my vinyl LP and give it a long overdue listen!
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 22:34
I love the Band too, but would never have thought Waters was into that.  Interesting!

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 22:45
In a sense, that first Band album was so different from what was 'standard rock issue' at the time that, in spite of being a work that recalled certain Americana way back to the 1800's, it was proggy at least in essence.  Same with their second.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 00:29
mmm The Band? Now that Waters likes them I will check ´em out jajajaja... but, seriously I will
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 00:58
The Band was awesome.  A college friend of mine got to meet and record at Levon Helm's studio recently.  I guess he is a real nice guy unlike a certain Robertson guitar player. 

Music from the Big Pink was such a great album though, and was greatly complimented by Mr. Zimmerman's cover art.  Likewise, the Band greatly complimented Mr. Zimmerman's music.  

Levon and Garth played on a few tracks of Mercury Rev's Deserter Songs which was pretty cool.

Anyways, its good to see that Waters enjoys good stuff.
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2008 at 21:00
I've NEVER been able to get into the Band. I love so much classic rock, and I love Dylan, but two bands I could never appreciate were the Grateful Dead and the Band. They both seem hokey to me, country-bumpkin-ish in some way that I can't quite explain. Dull. 

I have heard a few of the Dead's extended spacey jams that I liked..but the Band? Never liked anything I heard by them.

But after reading this, I will definitely get a copy of "Big Pink" and give it a few listens.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2008 at 21:25
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

The Band was awesome.  A college friend of mine got to meet and record at Levon Helm's studio recently.  I guess he is a real nice guy unlike a certain Robertson guitar player. 

Music from the Big Pink was such a great album though, and was greatly complimented by Mr. Zimmerman's cover art.  Likewise, the Band greatly complimented Mr. Zimmerman's music.  

Levon and Garth played on a few tracks of Mercury Rev's Deserter Songs which was pretty cool.

What's so unpleasant about Robbie Robertson BroSpence?

Just curous......as I always thought he was such a genuine personality along with the rest of the surviving The Band members.

As far as Levon and Garth on MR Deserters Songs...what can one say, but a great band to contribute to!!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 11:52
ugh i hate talking about The Band, i always get confused
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 01:37
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

What's so unpleasant about Robbie Robertson BroSpence?

Just curous......as I always thought he was such a genuine personality along with the rest of the surviving The Band members.

As far as Levon and Garth on MR Deserters Songs...what can one say, but a great band to contribute to!!

Robertson has some major ego issues apparently.  I believe he did something about getting most of the credit for songs he didn't really have much to do with so he gets most of the Band royalty checks while Garth Hudson went through two bankruptcies, and Helm continues to put on private concerts to get by.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 02:03
The Band is an acquired taste, I suppose. I tried the second album once and a friend of mine as well, and we couldn't really get into it.

It's amazing though, because, if I remember well, the liner notes of Procol Harum's second album, Shine On Brightly, mention that Music From Big Pink was also very influential for Procol Harum.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 21:19
The Band, playing music best called Americana. The Band, 4 canadians and one southerner. But they did have something different. Check out the harmonies, and how the singers don't always come in "on time". Or how Garth added that little flourish that made the song fuller.
As far as Robbie goes, I've seen him say that someone had to lead, organize and come up with ideas and actually follow then through. As to how true that is ? Their sound was due to the whole being more than the sum of the parts, as the saying goes. SO .... who's to say that more group credits should have been given.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 04:19
I can see it....Garth was a classically trained musician well-versed in theory and fluent with a crazy array of instruments....he brought outrageous sounds into the Band's music.  I can see where Waters was influence by Big Pink (maybe even the name of the Band?)....the Chest Fever pipe organ intro with the overlaying electric piano-like runs and different elements introduced gradually chorus after chorus - Waters and other Brit prog pioneers may not have been thinking rootsy Americana but the structure of it all was certainly on their minds.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Lost Follower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2008 at 07:48
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

Found this today in the Dallas Morning News.

Referring to "Music from Big Pink" by The Band, Roger said:

"That one record changed everything for me.  After Sgt. Pepper, it's the most influential record in the history of rock and roll.  It affected Pink Floyd deeply, deeply, deeply.  Philosophically, other albums may have been more important, like Lennon's first solo album.  But sonically, the way the record's constructed, I think Music from Big Pink is fundamental to everything that happened after it."

Wow.  I've always been an admirer of The Band but I guess I'd better pull out my vinyl LP and give it a long overdue listen!

That boy does spout some unadulterated cack at times. Sheesh.
~Jump you f**ker jump~
 Post Reply Post Reply