Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMusic: family rivalry & rebelry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 08:47
Thanks for the responses, everyone.  There's some wonderful insights here and I guess I am not alone, which is good to hear.

Chris, you are correct with what you say, re: owning albums and especially collections is where I get the thrill.  I also get a thrill out of owning albums few people have heard of or own.  I do not purchase them for the sake of it either, I enjoy the albums in their own right but if the album happens to be a rare one, I get even more of a thrill out of knowing I am one of the few privileged to hear it.

I also happen to have an Alamaailman Vasarat MP3 ringtone on my mobile 'phone and I often wonder if I am the only person in the world with this?  But of course, that's a question I will never be able to answer.  The likelihood is small but that does not mean there are others with the same ringtone as I have.

At the end of the day, I want to be an individual but not for the sake of it.  I do not want to own or play music I hate or dislike just because it is unpopular.  I listen to music I enjoy and some of it just happens to be hard to come by,
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 19:06
I've never given this subject any thought until just now...

My only sibling, (my sister... I have to be careful here - she has started visiting this site, for reasons that will become evident by the last word of this sentence), is a couple of years younger than me so when we were growing up we were poles apart... I was into Floyd, VdGG and all things Prog and she was only into Bowie. Being musically curious I started listening to her albums and found some liked and some I didn't. So in 1973 when our Dad told her she could only go to Earl's Court to see Bowie if I took her, it was no big chore and off we toddled. Conversely, she took no interest in my record collection at all, until I went off to Uni and came home one day to find all my Moody Blues albums had vanished. Ho-hum - by then I'd grown out of them, having been sorely disappointed in Seventh Sojourn, so I though nothing of it and moved on. From then on our musical paths never crossed, her only brush with Floyd being See Emily Play on Pin-Ups (and much later - the 'duet' Bowie and Gilmour performed recently).

Fast-forward 30 odd years - we have both (obviously) flown the parental nest and have families of our own - my daughter (18) [James: you've got 30 seconds to name her ... starting now... Wink], followed my taste for female-vocalled rock and metal so large portions of my collection can be found strewn across her bedroom floor (Angry) as she sings along (very loudly) to Kate Bush, Switchblade Symphony, Nightwish and Siouxsie Sioux, but only knows the words to Run Like Hell because Kittie covered it. My nephew (19) now accompanies my sister to Bowie gigs and (to his credit) has acquired a respectable taste for Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd Approve

ps: I've since replaced all my lost Moodies albums, all be it only on CD.

Edited by Dean - July 02 2008 at 19:09
What?
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 21:25
Her name is Alex not Sam.

See, I have remembered this time!

It is strange though how siblings go their separate ways musically when they're young and end up crossing paths later on in life.

I was lucky though, as both of my siblings like music I consider "decent".  All three of us have gone in different paths though.  One was always into Jean-Michel Jarre, Oldfield, Floyd, Dire Straits and a few other bands and artists whilst the other was into Indie in the 1980s (Paul Weller, Ocean Colour Scene and that sort of thing) but has always liked blues, so he's still a blues and jazz fan.  He also likes Klezmer music like I do.  So all our tastes overlap and infact when the sibling who likes "generic" prog was over last, they heard me playing Guapo and liked what they heard.  They also like some King Crimson now too (actually, said sibling copied me In the Court... and therefore started my proper prog journey).  Whilst the other one has attended a few jazz and blues gigs with me.

Maybe one day we will all play a tune we like. LOL
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2008 at 23:43
never had siblings and didn't want to rebel against my parent's music, but my mom listened to great jazz and my dad great classical, so I guess I figured why rebel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123