Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow often do you get "burnt out" on music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do you get "burnt out" on music?
    Posted: May 06 2008 at 11:56
This happens a one-digit number of times per year to me... a few times when overexposure to either an album, band or genre makes me want to hear something different. Then, after some time when it's faded to the background I can listen to it again because it now feels fresher. Last year I even went a week without listening to music at all.

Right now I've just kinda burnt out on Type O Negative, but that's more because I've become tired of the wink-wink-nudge-nudge attitude most of their music is full of. I used to think that made them really clever. Now it's started grating on my nerves.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 12:18
Rarely, because I listen to a variety of musical styles, so whenever I feel like I'm starting to burnt out of one, I stop listening for a while and turn to another.
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 12:29
That really has never happened to me, although I do get stuck on one band for a long time and can't stop listening to anthing but that band or that genre.

Example: About a month and a half ago I was listening to nothing much but Rush. Of course I would listen to my favorite bands occasionally (DT, PT, Opeth, EJ, Joe Satriani, Vai, KC, Yes, etc) but the majority of what I listened to was just Rush. Now as Progressive Nation 08 draws nearer I am listening to nothing but BTBAM, Opeth, and Dream Theater. Also, even though they're not on the tour but associated with the genre a lot of PT. With a little bit of my other favorite bands on the side like Rush and others that I listed earlier.

I also feel that when you're hooked on a genre for a while, that's what you wind up writing like if you're a musician. When I was listening to rush, a lot of more happy, classic rock riffs came out of what I wrote. Now I seem to be obsessed with writing more dark riffs, I actually have one of my guitars tuned to drop C Shocked.

Well, I'm getting a bit off topic, but you get what I'm saying I hope.

laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 12:40
I'm always semi-burnt out on music in general, and I don't really find that alternating between genres helps that much. Music that isn't *way* above average is far worse than silence to me. I only listen to a few hours of music a day and usually I make sure it's some of the best available.

in fact I've been irascible exactly because I've been trying to care about modern music but at least three quarters of this year's prog albums that I've tried have been unremittingly awful and stupid. and I take it personally. ;P
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 12:46
Since I first got into tunes back in the 70s, not once I have gotten burned out on it.  I love it, it's an integral part of who I am. 

LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 12:54
Can't say I ever stop listening to music, and I'm never tired of it. Listening almost constantly to one thing or another takes it toll by making me less passionate about ALL kinds of music for say one day/week. But that's about it.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 14:24
I've never been burnt-out on a band, genre, or song. I have enough diverse stuff to where I can easily jump from group to group so I'm fine.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 15:01
i never stop hearing music, whether i realize it or not. even in my head when nothing is on.

however, (minus the last 2 weeks) this last month and a half i barely put music on. the only reason i heard music was because my friends would throw some on. i felt i needed a break, something ive never taken in my life of listening to music.

last year, i went 3-4 months playing no guitar, something i thought (at the time) i was passionate about. but it was rough, i was in no band, my last band had dissolved. funny enough that was during a time when i immersed myself in music so much (as in like over half my day or more)

then for some reason i picked it up again and worked my ass off and now im much better than i was before.

music can mess with you psychologically sometimes...
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 15:07
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

I'm always semi-burnt out on music in general, and I don't really find that alternating between genres helps that much. Music that isn't *way* above average is far worse than silence to me. I only listen to a few hours of music a day and usually I make sure it's some of the best available.

Doesn't it feel terrible, or at least a bit unnerving, to be so de-sentisized to music? Confused I mean, when something that people put so much effort into doesn't touch you that more than silence don't you feel something is wrong?
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 15:17
No =P Besides, a musician's efforts aren't wasted just because *I* don't like their music. but I'll usually reject signs of nostalgia or safe-ness in an album because they have a sickening quality - something silence seldom has.

and when I find an album worthy of being a favourite, I romanticise it. That, at least, isn't de-sensitization. =)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 15:32
Ah... so you just have higher standards than most other people? Wink
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 16:10

in fact I've been irascible exactly because I've been trying to care about modern music but at least three quarters of this year's prog albums that I've tried have been unremittingly awful and stupid. and I take it personally. ;P

That's because prog isn't the arena in which most great modern music is being released.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

I'm always semi-burnt out on music in general, and I don't really find that alternating between genres helps that much. Music that isn't *way* above average is far worse than silence to me. I only listen to a few hours of music a day and usually I make sure it's some of the best available. in fact I've been irascible exactly because I've been trying to care about modern music but at least three quarters of this year's prog albums that I've tried have been unremittingly awful and stupid. and I take it personally. ;P

That's because prog isn't the arena in which most great modern music is being released.

that's true. but a lot of metal and indie just doesn't work for me =(
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 20:08
lot of things I get burnt out on, music is not one of them, 
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 01:14
Never burned out on music.  In fact, I don't get to listen to it enough I think!.  I mean I listen to it a lot, but I would prefer more MORE MORE!

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Right now I've just kinda burnt out on Type O Negative, but that's more because I've become tired of the wink-wink-nudge-nudge attitude most of their music is full of. I used to think that made them really clever. Now it's started grating on my nerves.

"Everyone I love is dead...............GODDAMNITTTTTTTTTTTTT"

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 04:31
Sometimes everything sounds boring / unimpressive / bad. The feeling usually passes when I put on a David Sylvian album.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 06:16

I don't listen that much to Genesis, Kansas or IQ anymore, but I used to listen to those bands a lot.

Music in general: my mind never gets tired of it, but my ears can't have that much music, before they protest. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:24
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

"Everyone I love is dead...............GODDAMNITTTTTTTTTTTTT"

Funny, that's from World Coming Down which is by far Type O's best album since for once they spent most of their creative energy on making the gloomiest music possible instead of trying to show how witty they think they are. (hence fortunately keeping the humour to a minimum)

Sorry if I sound cranky, it's just like I've spent the last half year binging on humorous music.... and now I'm going through the hangover. Dead
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:33
I had a project, listening to this Finnish teen-girl-energy-pop/rock band for a month, 75 songs a day. My last.fm tells it all if you want to check, www.last.fm/user/Tuomu Anyway, recently I'm really grown to dislike them, I removed them from my playlist adn all. Oh well.

Yes, or most of all Jon Anderson has had the same effect on me, too much of his voice would make my head ache. Now I'm waiting for the interest to return again. Meanwhile I listen to something else :)
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:46
nope never burnt out on music just genres or sub-genres.....i'll just find something else to obsess over!!!

wonder when my Radiohead obsession will end............going strong for 2 months plus.............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>