Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow often do you get "burnt out" on music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do you get "burnt out" on music?
    Posted: May 08 2008 at 12:25
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

I see it as bands who are independent from mainstream trends and cess.

That's still extremely vague... it could describe punk, prog, metal, industrial rock, folk or the weirder electronic stuff equally well. Wink

Unless I'm mistaken and "indie rock" actually is rock with lyrics about Indiana Jones. LOL
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 04:45
I see it as bands who are independent from mainstream trends and cess. A much more artistic and free kind of rock and pop.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 03:18
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

I guess it's overexposure coupled with a lot of innovation and discovery within the indie genre.

I don't understand why indie is a genre... last time I checked it just meant bands that were on small record labels. Confused
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 00:15
Its very rare- but when I do, there is always Talk radio. Sports talk mostly. 

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 00:07
I really do feel somewhat burnt out on  prog. There's been a  noticeable shift in my listening patterns from prog to indie that has been gradually going on in the past few months or so. I guess it's overexposure coupled with a lot of innovation and discovery within the indie genre.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 23:50
When I feel that happening I tend to listen to "classical" music for lack of a better term. It's a genre that seems to have limitless replay ability. For the good composers anyway.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Poser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 22:18
Toaster gets "burnt out" on music . Cool

I hate to say this, but absence makes the heart grow fonder? I find I get cravings for certain artists after I live in silence for a while and it's a lovely feeling rushing to put them on.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 13:08
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Whenever I start to feel burned out on something I like a lot, I get over it by forcing myself to watch/listen to chart pop music for a day or two, and suddenly everything is put into perspective and I'm fine again.

That's an absolutely great idea... when riding the bus or in some other occasion where they're playing chart pop or other insipid stuff I usually think "I can't wait to wash that out of my system with some good music"!LOL

Yeah, I don't tend to listen to prog after listening to music that charts either.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 13:03
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Whenever I start to feel burned out on something I like a lot, I get over it by forcing myself to watch/listen to chart pop music for a day or two, and suddenly everything is put into perspective and I'm fine again.

That's an absolutely great idea... when riding the bus or in some other occasion where they're playing chart pop or other insipid stuff I usually think "I can't wait to wash that out of my system with some good music"!LOL
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 12:32
I recommend it as some sort of anti-therapy
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:55
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

I'm always semi-burnt out on music in general, and I don't really find that alternating between genres helps that much. Music that isn't *way* above average is far worse than silence to me. I only listen to a few hours of music a day and usually I make sure it's some of the best available. in fact I've been irascible exactly because I've been trying to care about modern music but at least three quarters of this year's prog albums that I've tried have been unremittingly awful and stupid. and I take it personally. ;P

That's because prog isn't the arena in which most great modern music is being released.

that's true. but a lot of metal and indie just doesn't work for me =(

Drop me a PM with some of your interests and I'll see if I can find bands to fit them.
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:46
nope never burnt out on music just genres or sub-genres.....i'll just find something else to obsess over!!!

wonder when my Radiohead obsession will end............going strong for 2 months plus.............
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:33
I had a project, listening to this Finnish teen-girl-energy-pop/rock band for a month, 75 songs a day. My last.fm tells it all if you want to check, www.last.fm/user/Tuomu Anyway, recently I'm really grown to dislike them, I removed them from my playlist adn all. Oh well.

Yes, or most of all Jon Anderson has had the same effect on me, too much of his voice would make my head ache. Now I'm waiting for the interest to return again. Meanwhile I listen to something else :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:24
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Right now I've just kinda burnt out on Type O Negative, but that's more because I've become tired of the wink-wink-nudge-nudge attitude most of their music is full of. I used to think that made them really clever. Now it's started grating on my nerves.

"Everyone I love is dead...............GODDAMNITTTTTTTTTTTTT"

Funny, that's from World Coming Down which is by far Type O's best album since for once they spent most of their creative energy on making the gloomiest music possible instead of trying to show how witty they think they are. (hence fortunately keeping the humour to a minimum)

Sorry if I sound cranky, it's just like I've spent the last half year binging on humorous music.... and now I'm going through the hangover. Dead
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 06:16

I don't listen that much to Genesis, Kansas or IQ anymore, but I used to listen to those bands a lot.

Music in general: my mind never gets tired of it, but my ears can't have that much music, before they protest. 
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 04:31
Sometimes everything sounds boring / unimpressive / bad. The feeling usually passes when I put on a David Sylvian album.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 01:14
Never burned out on music.  In fact, I don't get to listen to it enough I think!.  I mean I listen to it a lot, but I would prefer more MORE MORE!

Right now I've just kinda burnt out on Type O Negative, but that's more because I've become tired of the wink-wink-nudge-nudge attitude most of their music is full of. I used to think that made them really clever. Now it's started grating on my nerves.

"Everyone I love is dead...............GODDAMNITTTTTTTTTTTTT"

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 20:08
lot of things I get burnt out on, music is not one of them, 
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

I'm always semi-burnt out on music in general, and I don't really find that alternating between genres helps that much. Music that isn't *way* above average is far worse than silence to me. I only listen to a few hours of music a day and usually I make sure it's some of the best available. in fact I've been irascible exactly because I've been trying to care about modern music but at least three quarters of this year's prog albums that I've tried have been unremittingly awful and stupid. and I take it personally. ;P

That's because prog isn't the arena in which most great modern music is being released.

that's true. but a lot of metal and indie just doesn't work for me =(
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 16:10

I'm always semi-burnt out on music in general, and I don't really find that alternating between genres helps that much. Music that isn't *way* above average is far worse than silence to me. I only listen to a few hours of music a day and usually I make sure it's some of the best available.

in fact I've been irascible exactly because I've been trying to care about modern music but at least three quarters of this year's prog albums that I've tried have been unremittingly awful and stupid. and I take it personally. ;P

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>