Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBuying Prog CDs at Stores

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
walrus333 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying Prog CDs at Stores
    Posted: December 22 2005 at 22:15

my local Borders has a pretty good Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, and Dream Theater selections, almost all of Pink Floyds stuff and usually the latest release by Marillion, Pain of Salvation, Opeth and Spocks Beard and the occasional Rush cd. If I want much other than that I go online.

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!
progaeopteryx View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 21:32
You're from Canada, eh? If you're in Toronto, I'd recommend the HMV on Yonge Street. I'm from the States, where prog is just starting to show up more in stores (probably thanks to Inside Out America), but when I was in Toronto, that HMV in particular had an impressive selection of stuff. I think I came over the border with about $250Cdn without getting checked. This was years ago before the border became such a pain after 9/11. The Canadian border patrol was very nice, but coming back I was very disappointed in the Americans. I mean I'm a bloody citizen for goodness sake!

In my area (State College, Pa.), Mike's Video, has been carrying more and more prog (I live in a college town, so this stuff even today, is still attracting college students). The people who work there often don't know what they have when they get it and I end up finding things like Pallas, Porcupine Tree, and Devil Doll (yes, Devil Doll!) in the metal section.

There's a really cool store just north of Ephrata, Pa. (in the middle of Pennsylvani Dutch country!) called Record Connection PA that has a prog/psych section. About twice a year I take a drive down there, but their prices are often higher than online sites, although occasionally I find a bargain or two. They do give a 10% discount on a $100+ purchase.

Other than that, there isn't much in Pa. I saw some prog in a store in Pittsburgh (I think on Carson St., can't remember the name), but very little and what was there was very overpriced.

For online, I like Laser's Edge a lot: http://www.lasercd.com/default.asp

Syn-Phonic in Utah has probably one of the largest selections, but they often don't have them in stock and recommend listing alternates, so I haven't bought anything from them in awhile, although they have reasonable prices, often better than other sites. See: http://synphonic.8m.com/

I've been meaning to check Kinesis out more. Never bought anything from them, but I like a lot of the stuff they have listed: http://www.kinesiscd.com/index.html

Hope you have luck with some of the suggestions here.
Carpetcrawler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 12:28
Does anyone know a good progstore anywhere in switzerland?

Actually the 'MediaMarkt' in Basel features some well-known
prog; floyd, rush, yes, dt, vdgg, Marillion, Hackett, Gabriel
etc...also pts deadwing.
There is no dark side of the moon. Matter of fact there's all dark!
viperjr98 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 12:25

Recently, I've been getting my stuff almost exclusively from www.lasercd.com  aka Laser's Edge.  They've got tons of stuff, from really old obscure prog rock titles to the newest prog metal.  The owner, Ken Golden (also owner of Sensory Records) gives a short description and review for each title, and he's almost always right on.

Fast shipping, friendly service...hey, what a concept!

Someo Therguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 12:16
I havn't bought a CD in a store for several years now. I purchase everything from on line sources like amazonon.com, abstractlogix.com, ebay, or from indie labels (on line) like musea records, lasers edge, or directly from artists web sites.
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 11:47
I just let the local store order my albums, it doesn't come with any extra costs. I was disappointed they couldn't order any Gentle Giant though.
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 11:43
The only store that I've found half-decent where I'm living is Scrape Records. It has some progressive rock, but mainly progressive metal and metal.
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 11:09
Borders has a good amount. All Gentle Giant all Van der Graaf, all Genesis,
Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield... Not a bad selection.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
A'swepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 09:56

I do the vast majority of my CD buying at online stores like Amazon.com.

As far as Glass Hammer, go to their website http://glasshammer.com

The last time I checked they were selling their CDs for $15.00 - Amazon has the same CDs for $15.99.

Their new CD, The Inconsolable Secret, (Excellent CD, IMO), is available for $20.00 - its a double CD with over 100 minutes of music.

David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 07:45

I was in Florida in October and went into a couple of record stores thinking I would be able to pick up CDs by bands like Glass Hammer and Echolyn. How stupid was I? (don't answer that).The only US prog CD I found was Transatlantic (if you can call them US) - there was no sign of anything else.

I've pretty much given up on British record shops for prog, I get them from Amazon or e-bay.

Olympus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 05:13
Originally posted by Fantom JSK Fantom JSK wrote:

I've found myself completely frustrated over the lack of selection for Progressive Rock CDs, especially the fact that there doesn't seem to be a section just for Progressive Rock.

So far I'm trying to find CDs by Glass Hammer and the Flower Kings, but have not found them to any avail. Where do you usually buy CDs?

You are so lucky, in Australia it is IMPOSSIBLE to find anything like Glass Hammer or even something like Symphony X, The CD stores here can say to have over 100,000 CD's but they will only have very famous prog bands like Yes, Rush etc. Prog is just not that popular over here, hell it took me ages to fing In the Court of King Crimson, all the albums I want I have to import from Germany which can take any where from 4 to 12 Weeks. 12 Weeks.

"Let's get the hell away from this Eerie-ass piece of work so we can get on with the rest of our eerie-ass day"
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 17:08
I can usually find a good amount of prog at Virign Megastore, but it's too expensive, and I hate it. Go to the internet.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 15:42
Originally posted by elp-progster elp-progster wrote:

www.synphonic.8m.com

More than 10 thousand prog titles; excellent service.

Great Stuff there, and the serivice can not be beat. Also Doug Larson (the link is on the site) has a great selection. For non-online service i use Vintage Vinyl, a wonderful independent store. One of the best things about Jersey . It's the only store i kno that has an entire section comprised of only prog. Great Stuff.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 16:58

Apparently if a shop sells two of the same CDs in a year then it is worth them stocking it. Our local shops are HMV and Virgin. HMV have better range of bands and albums though it is limited and I have pretty much reached end point. Now using the internet more and thanks to forum members have a good range of alternative sites. Only trouble is I like to hear before I buy and not all bands/publishers are as far sighted as MP3 contributors so far. As I keep saying  - 'Get your marketing guys onto it.' Now who wants my next order?

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 08:35
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Our local HMV and MVC are stacked with Genesis, Yes & Floyd albums, but thats about it.

I went looking for the new Dream Theater album yesterday. MVC only had 'Images & Words' in the bargain bin, and HMV had run out. The guy behoind the counter said they had only been sent three copies to start with. They didn't have any other DT albums.

As for Rush, thats a laugh. In HMV you can by 'Spirit of Radio' compilation and 'Feedback'

I have never even bothered to look for anything slightly obscure. I buy virtually all CD's on line. I looked for Octavarium thinking 'its bound to be there!' how naieve..

Hi Blacksword,

Octivarium @ Play.com, £9.99, 48 hour free delivery sevice.  I use them for the less obscure stuff cos they are very good.

Anyway, how's this Spock's Beard collection of yours doing?

Hi fandango!

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, I've never been let down by Amazon (Uk or .com) I've been able to get everything I've wanted there. Stores like HMV are only any good in big cities. In small towns like mine, its believed that everyone just listerns to chart sh!t. I guess its mostly true.

Re; Spocks Beard. I'm loving 'The Light' I think its a great album. My SB collection will form quite slowly, though. There are so many other things I 'need' to get. I'm still working through my Enid fixation and nothing else really stands a chance for a good few months when I ressurect an old flame  I guess next on SB hit list will be 'V' and 'Beware of the dark'

One day I'll write some more reviews. Honest...

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 07:47

www.freakemporium.com

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
felona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 06:46
Originally posted by elp-progster elp-progster wrote:

www.synphonic.8m.com

More than 10 thousand prog titles; excellent service.

I HEARTILY AGREE ... GREG IS ONE OF THE BEST OUT THERE - YOU CAN'T GO WRONG! 

I was never really sure what I was waiting for. When the moment came I was looking away ......
The Church "After Everything Now This"
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 06:32
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Our local HMV and MVC are stacked with Genesis, Yes & Floyd albums, but thats about it.

I went looking for the new Dream Theater album yesterday. MVC only had 'Images & Words' in the bargain bin, and HMV had run out. The guy behoind the counter said they had only been sent three copies to start with. They didn't have any other DT albums.

As for Rush, thats a laugh. In HMV you can by 'Spirit of Radio' compilation and 'Feedback'

I have never even bothered to look for anything slightly obscure. I buy virtually all CD's on line. I looked for Octavarium thinking 'its bound to be there!' how naieve..

Hi Blacksword,

Octivarium @ Play.com, £9.99, 48 hour free delivery sevice.  I use them for the less obscure stuff cos they are very good.

Anyway, how's this Spock's Beard collection of yours doing?

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 06:26

Originally posted by felona felona wrote:

based in the UK, there's Will Mackie @ caerllysi music   - also very knowledgeable   http://www.caerllysimusic.co.uk/   he always has  great deals going on ebay - username is  caerllysi . He is also  the main UK distributor for Glass Hammer.

I agree... Will's a good bloke, and is also the UK stockist for Anekdoten, Cross, Clepsydra, Lana Lane, Cyan, Magenta and a few others, hence his prices are very reasonable, although he can have supply difficulties....

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 05:41

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>