Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHoly Moley the new REM album is good!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy Moley the new REM album is good!
    Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:14
Shocked
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:21
I think Michael Stipe said they would pack it in if this album didn't do well. I know they were pleased with it. I was quite a big REM fan in the late 80's/early 90's, but lost interest after 'Automatic for the People'

I saw them live a couple of years ago in Hyde Park in London, and they were superb. I shall check out this album.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:29
I'm not even a big fan of the band, really. Like songs here and there, you know. "Losing My Religion" "Sweetness Follows" "What's The Frequency Kenneth?" (basically the singles except "Everybody Hurts"--so sappy). But this is really good, and it damned well needed to be with the rave reviews it was getting.

I know there's an album recently that's comparable to this. Really streamlined, packed, short songs but not really punk. Hmm...I'll think of it soon.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:34
Ah it was Pearl Jam's new-ish one! Quite similar in style.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:41
I look forward to hearing it! It sounds like they're a little heavier and less commercial than in recent years.

I remember Michael Stipe saying in an interview, a few years back, that he had really didn't like 'Everybody Hurts' and didn't consider it an REM song anymore. Maybe he was just having a bad day, but he said the song may as well belong to Coca Cola!

I always felt their best albums were 'Document' and 'Green'

'Out of Time' and 'Automatic..' certainly had their moments, but they were losing their 'edge' by then. hat said, 'Night Swimming' and 'Star me Kitten' are beautiful songs.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 00:15
Thumbs%20Up Hate to to say I told you so, but didn't I tell you so? Wink

GeekI wrote:

Georgia band REM hit the ground running on their  thirteenth studio album, the brand-new and aptly-titled Accelerate.

While I like all of the Athens outfit's releases (to varying degrees), the previous two efforts, Reveal and the ironically-named UP were decidedly downbeat, and it looked like Stipe, Buck and Mills' harder-rocking days might be behind them.

Thankfully, this is decidedly not the case. After a four year wait, in which band batteries seem to have been fully re-charged, Accelerate gives fans of the band's electric guitar-driven sound the hardest hitting REM disk since the uneven Monster

The entire album clocks in at only 35 minutes, but the eleven tracks are fully-realized, and crafted and burnished to a polished shine -- there are no dud numbers, no padding, not an ounce of fat, nor a wasted second. This veteran band knows how to write great 3 and-a-half minute, knife-edged rock songs that go straight to your brain's pleasure center, and stick stubbornly there like instant classics.

Yes, the album rocks, but there are also shades taken from the group's softer palette. Sandwiched between tracks featuring Peter Buck's crunching, charging electric axe, comes the welcome jangle of acoustic guitars coupled with piano on "Until the Day Is Done," which will take long-term fans back to the band's more country and folk-flavoured early days. A wonderful song!

Michael Stipe's voice is unchanged, and in top form, and here he has penned some of his hardest-hitting, most coherent lyrics yet (see my latest sig for a wee sample from the blistering title track).

Favourite tracks for you to check out, if you're still not convinced, are "Supernatural Superserious," with its catchy chorus and powerful lyrics dealing with issues of abuse, and overcoming one's past.

I also recommend the full-speed-ahead opener "Living Well is the Best Revenge," the nostalgically-dignified "Until the Day Is Done" (as I mentioned), and the adrenalin-drenched "Accelerate." Cool

REM fans simply can't go wrong with this one -- pick it up, and turn it up, ASAP! Clap

*****************************************************************************************************************

Glad you like it, Stonesy!Big%20smile

Edited by Peter - May 17 2008 at 00:17
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 00:38
Monster for me was their best but from what I have heard on Accelerate it ain't too bad. Monster was a brilliant nasty album
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 21:22
I may have to re-think things and pick this up. I'm hearing nothing but great things.

E
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 21:27
This will be in my next CD order.
 Post Reply Post Reply