Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 03:22
Reading about Guardians of the Galaxy I think I'm probably respond to it the same way I did about Pacific Rim when watching it: It's what the Star Wars prequels should have been but wasn't, the same way Pacific Rim was what the Transformers movies should have been.

Even then, though, I'm just not into that kind of sci-fi action movies the way I were like 10 years ago.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 03:30
Pacific Rim was very well done but had little emotional impact or thoughtful storytelling, but better than Transformers to be sure.   As for Guardians I avoided it because I wasn't a fan of the comic.   Sounds like it might kinds good though.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 03:35
Yeah, today I prefer big budget science fiction movies to be more on the Blade Runner model than the Star Wars model. I just don't have an active interest in the genre overall like I used to however.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 02:04
The Lunchbox

Fine little human interplay about a wife who makes lunches for her husband through the dabbawalas in Mumbai and a widower who begins accidentally receiving them.   They start exchanging friendly notes as both work through the end of their marriages, eventually deciding to meet.   Irrfan Khan and the exquisite Nimrat Kaur are both excellent in the lead roles.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 02:28
Locke

Tom Hardy continues his extraordinary acting journey as a building contractor who takes a long car ride to see a woman who is having his illegitimate baby.   Stripped of all typical film techniques, Locke is simply a man in a car going through what is probably the worst time of his life as the world at night passes by his window.   This is the role that proves Hardy's brilliance and shows why he is probably the finest actor of his generation.

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 18:15
The Dead (2010) - people are probably sick to deth of zombie movies, but this one was a refreshing take on the zombie outbreak across the African safari, the white lead was a little stiff, but the practical effects were cool and had a nice contrast of atmospheres between zombie threats during the bright as day and dark of night, I'd give it a generous 7/10

Edited by mithrandir - September 14 2014 at 18:16
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 03:16
Godzilla  (2014)

Painfully slow and shockingly stupid entry where the best thing is Godzilla himself except that he's trapped in a shell game of a film that teases with nonsense, waits forty-five minutes to show the G man and then only for a few moments at a time.   Dishonest, terribly written, and undeserving of the legendary namesake.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 23:00
The Double

Bizarre industrial other-world has Jesse Eisenberg living out the Dostoyevsky novel as a nervous worker who realizes he's been replaced by a doppelgänger.   Richard Ayoade brings elements of Orwell, Terry Gilliam, and the Coens to this somewhat amusing dark comedy.

Edited by Atavachron - September 23 2014 at 02:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 00:52
Tim's Vermeer

Fascinating account of inventor Tim Jenison who developed a way of painting images with mirrors in the way he believes Dutch master Johannes Vermeer must have achieved his remarkably high level of photorealism.   One of the best documentaries of 2013.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 03:45
For admirers of truly great photography and light management, To The Wonder by Terrence Malick will be a serious feast. My favourite film at the moment, so couldn't recommend it more Why not revisit Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi and Baraka at this occasion as well? Masterpieces
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 02:19
Chef

John Favreau as a cook who's had enough of restaurant life and opens a food truck selling Cuban sandwiches.   Favreau writes & directs and though the film has plenty of heart and a few big laughs from both Robert Downey Jr. and Dustin Hoffman, it is uneven and loses its arc about halfway through.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 01:54
Edge of Tomorrow

In a fun, quick-paced mix of Groundhog Day and Starship Troopers, Tom Cruise continuously relives his death in combat at the hands of a deadly alien invader and must devise a way to outsmart the time-manipulating creature.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 12:42

Good film, but not quite what I expected. The marketing led me to believe this was a rather goofy "convoluted criminal conspiracy goes wrong in violent yet hilarious ways" fast-moving caper comedy as popularized by Guy Ritchie, instead it's more of a slowly paced character-driven crime drama with some absurd humour sprinkled on top. Between the very businesslike depiction of organized crime, stereotypical Roman Catholic obsession with guilt and absolution as well as mostly realistic but still stylized visual side it reminds me more of something Martin Scorcese could have thought up in the mid-1970s were he of Irish instead of Italian cultural background.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - October 10 2014 at 02:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 20:27
^ title ?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 02:07
In Bruges. I'll find a poster image that works now.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 02:36
heard good things about it, been meaning to see it some day
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 02:44
Tender Mercies

Small and easygoing rural drama in Texas with Robert Duvall perfect as a has-been country/western singer trying to restart his life.   Quiet, touching, beautifully shot.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 03:15
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

heard good things about it, been meaning to see it some day

Just wanted to warn that it's nowhere as silly as advertised. While I enjoyed In Bruges immensely and were surprised at its thoughtfulness, I still can't help but shake the feeling it probably wouldn't come across as all that well thought out upon rewatch. Read some reviews of the director's follow-up Seven Psychopaths indicating that the seams in the writing are much more apparent there. From the marketing it also looks even more Guy Ritchie-esque, but then again IB was very misleading on that front...

(again: I like Guy Ritchie's movies, all I'm saying is that Martin McDonagh's are very different in style and sensibility)
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 20:08
http://livluna.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/blue-is-the-warmest-color.jpg
It was fairly good but I kept getting distracted because I would keep noticing that Adele's mouth was open almost 100% of the time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 02:33
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Elegant sketch of the final days of Jesse James and his slowly dissolving gang of raiders photographed in filtered tones and with deliberate tediousness, tension, and a nice blend of style with reality.   Casey Affleck is excellent as James follower Bob Ford.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 216>