Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 11:24
The Old Oak (Ken Loach) - 6/10
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:39
Originally posted by Moonshake Moonshake wrote:

Kill Bill Volume 1

Good point well made, that scene you mention especially is excellent but Tarentino can be a bit overrated as you suggest.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 05:27
Avatar - The Last Airbender   I know the original has a sort of cult status but I haven't seen it, so I came into this new series cold. 4 elemental power controlled by 'benders'. Of course we need some malice and the fire benders are the baddies; but they are kept in check by the Avatar (who can bend all 4 elements). This new Avatar turns out to be a kid and it's his adventures we follow here. The story is good, so too are the action and effects. The script and acting are really poor though (maybe it's supposed to be like this). Everything looks clean and cartoonish (again maybe they where trying to do it like this) but I don't find it appealing at all. I'll stick with it as I rarely give up on a show no matter how poor.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 13:16
Kill Bill Volume 2
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 23:02
Ha!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2024 at 21:01

Clan of the White Lotus    A young gongfu fighter's stepsister teaches him the gentle art of Paper Hands in order to defeat the invincible White Lotus Priest.   A stunner and a real chopsocky classic from 1980.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 23:56
Stuck in a hotel room while away on work so I went to watch Abigail last night at a local cinema. I knew nothing about it other than it's 'horror'. The set up is that a young girl from a rich family is kidnapped by a gang and is going to be held for ransom. I had little idea where this was going and won't give the plot away but trouble is when became obvious then it all becomes very uninteresting. Still it kept me out of my hotel room for a few hours and did at least provide some trashy horror type entertainment along the way. 5/10
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 06:17
Hi,

Just saw Nanni Moretti's THE SON'S ROOM and like a lot of his films it is nice, despite it not being exactly fun to watch. The acting is good, and the film has nice touches, and towards the ending that piece of music by ENO is really well used. 

Nice touches all around.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 06:28

The Year of Living Dangerously

7/10
This movie plays on TCM endlessly, because I've deleted it so many times, since my DVR storage is always hovering at around 90%, but I gave it a chance today, and I didn't turn it off. Good story (Indonesian revolution), but the wrong characters, except the Indonesians. Linda Hunt playing a male dwarf? "I asked her to marry me" - sure you did... But some great lines. "I created you" the usual CIA prototype (ala "Burn"). A few other scenes that were too corny. The end was stretched out for "suspense" but I didn't believe any of their motivations, although I would have been interested in their prime/original motivations, which the movie did not go into.

But to my reading of history, Sukarno was the patriot, and Suharto was a CIA puppet.

Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 08:43
Recently watched eight Antonioni films:

- Le Amiche
- Il Grido
- L'Avventura
- La Notte
- L'Eclisse
- Blow Up
- The Red Desert
- The Passenger

I also watched a few Fellini's being I Vitelloni, Nights of Cabiria, Roma and The White Sheik.

I would love to see Fellini's Casanova, but I can't find a good quality version of it.

All of these films are very good by the way but I could not rate them.

EDIT: There is an Antonioni movie called Identification of a Woman. I did not see it, but it features music from Steve Hillage I think. Also Zabriskie Point, one of his worst films, features Pink Floyd. I would also love to watch Schroeder's More which music is composed by Pink Floyd (yes, I am referring to their More album).

Edited by Gnik Nosmirc - May 01 2024 at 10:22
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 10:22
Originally posted by Gnik Nosmirc Gnik Nosmirc wrote:

Recently watched eight Antonioni films:

- Le Amiche
- Il Grido
- L'Avventura
- La Notte
- L'Eclisse
- Blow Up
- The Red Desert
- The Passenger

I also watched a few Fellini's being I Vitelloni, Nights of Cabiria, Roma and The White Sheik.

I would love to see Fellini's Casanova, but I can't find a good quality version of it.

All of these films are very good by the way but I could not rate them.

EDIT: There is an Antonioni movie called Identification of a Woman. I did not see it, but it features music from Steve Hillage I think. Also Zabriskie Point, one of his worst films, features Pink Floyd. I would also love to watch Schroeder's More which music is composed by Pink Floyd (yes, I am referring to their More album).

There you go..

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 01:42

A hunk of priceless Huanan jade is at stake for a bladesmith, two dagger-throwing assassins, and a beautiful but deadly seductress in this 1979 semi-classic from Chang Cheh.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 21:46

Terrific kungfu fighting and a decent plot carries this crowd-pleaser from '77.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2024 at 12:49
Rebel Moon - Part Two: The Scargiver   Part One wasn't that long ago but the impact it had on me must have been miniscule as I had little recall as to what had actually happened. Luckily these movies as so shallow the story makes little difference. This part 2 is like a Magnificent Seven in space where the heroes band together to protect the poor farmers. The gist of it is: the galactic empire places massive importance on some grain from a sad little village on a distant planet. So much so they decide to launch a large scale attack on the villagers. And erm that's about it. The first half is dull as we build up to the battle. The actual fighting scenes are quite spectacular but nothing we haven't seen before. 4/10 I've forgotten it already - what was I talking about again?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 09:01
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire  Wow, how could they mess up such a solid movie franchise? Well they did - massively. Extremely disappointing all round. The old guard were there, but mostly unused and the new team were insipid and dull. Awful really 3/10
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 09:50
^Well that may affect my next viewing choices. Both these were among the next 5 I had planned on watching. Unhappy
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 14:00
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^Well that may affect my next viewing choices. Both these were among the next 5 I had planned on watching. Unhappy

I love Ghostbusters and after the decent Afterlife I was really looking forward to this one. Maybe my anticipation was too high, which is why I disliked Frozen Empire so much. Carrie Coon and Paul Rudd are both actors I really like and they seemed wasted in this effort which is a real shame. Of course I may seem over harsh and my wife thought it wasn't as bad as I did. YMMV.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216