Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 216>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 06:11
...and I agree about CftBL, beautiful film that holds up surprisingly well.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 06:40

put on a CD of James Bond film themes while doing the dishes which hooked me into starting the movie series from scratch again (this time in Blu-Ray)

So last night was :

Dr. No

Impressed by the Blu-Ray transfer .. looked fantastic.
As far as the movie goes ...everything we'll ever see again in a bond film was right here.
Connery was a little goofy in this one though - he perfected his 'cool' a little later on
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 06:51
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

put on a CD of James Bond film themes while doing the dishes which hooked me into starting the movie series from scratch again (this time in Blu-Ray)

So last night was :

Dr. No

As far as the movie goes ...everything we'll ever see again in a bond film was right here.
Connery was a little goofy in this one though - he perfected his 'cool' a little later on

One of my favourite films, Walton!

I've got many of the Bond blurays, just not that particular one yet.

So many greats scenes in it. I love the really drawn out bit where Bond is waiting behind the door for the baddy to show up, and quickly and coldly plugs him.

The only letdown about it is the final fight with Dr No! He essentially falls off a platform into water that's barely even a metre below him, and that's it!

By the way, have you ever noticed the scene in the club, and the black dude dancing behind Bond? Man, that dude is OFF THE CHAIN wired!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 07:05
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

So last night was :

Dr. No

One of my favourite films, Walton!

I've got many of the Bond blurays, just not that particular one yet.

So many greats scenes in it. I love the really drawn out bit where Bond is waiting behind the door for the baddy to show up, and quickly and coldly plugs him.

The only letdown about it is the final fight with Dr No! He essentially falls off a platform into water that's barely even a metre below him, and that's it!

By the way, have you ever noticed the scene in the club, and the black dude dancing behind Bond? Man, that dude is OFF THE CHAIN wired!!

although I have all the Bonds on DVD, I picked up the Blu-Ray boxset (BOND 50) and it's outstanding.

yeah - Dr. No's demise was a little anticlimactic to say the least :)  He was a fantastic villain too ... probably the most frightening visually .. really creepy delivery.

The black guy dancing was in the scene where the club owner was walking through his dance floor surveying the crowd and barking orders - yeah I noticed him .. he was looking to get noticed for sure :)

- SpongeBob Socrates
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 19:52
I had a friend who says when Dr. No came out it was a very modern spy flick.   Good movie, probably the most believable Bond film.   I can see them remaking it.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 04:04
I personally think that position belongs to From Russia With Love, which doesn't have anything as outlandish as that kind of supervillain lair or the dragon tank, or Daniel Craig's tenure as the character. Maybe also Timothy Dalton but I haven't seen any of his.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 04:14
Really?  Chased by a repressed lesbian and her big blond uberspy?  Well I never liked believability in my Bond anyway, so either way is fine.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 04:26
I have a much easy time suspending disbelief about repressed lesbians and sociopathic bodybuilders than an ex-Triad mad scientist with cyborg hands operating a huge secret facility for messing around with missile tests in order to trigger a new world war.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 04:31
LOL   Shaw was good in that wasn't he

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 04:32
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I personally think that position belongs to From Russia With Love, which doesn't have anything as outlandish as that kind of supervillain lair or the dragon tank, or Daniel Craig's tenure as the character. Maybe also Timothy Dalton but I haven't seen any of his.

You haven't missed anything then. Those movies were horrible and lacked the humour from all of the other movies. The twinkle in Bond's eye is missing, and that is just about the most important, and empathetic, characteristic of his. Even in the hard-boiled and raw violence of the recent Daniel Craig fronted flicks, it's still there. You still get the famous smirk - the humorous undertones.

So yeah, you're definitely not missing out on Living Daylights and License to Kill.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 04:40
The Beast

Before Fury there was this gem from '88 tracking a Russian tank lost in the Afghan badlands during the Soviet Invasion.  Great desert photography and atmosphere highlight the Vietnam parallels with a keen eye for combat psychology.  Jason Patric effective as a dissenting tanker and George Dzundza his disturbed commander.     
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 04:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

You haven't missed anything then. Those movies were horrible and lacked the humour from all of the other movies. The twinkle in Bond's eye is missing, and that is just about the most important, and empathetic, characteristic of his. Even in the hard-boiled and raw violence of the recent Daniel Craig fronted flicks, it's still there. You still get the famous smirk - the humorous undertones.

So yeah, you're definitely not missing out on Living Daylights and License to Kill.

I completely agree, they were bad.  Even the Pierce Brosnans were better.

ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 04:51
Mżrin

Dark and atmospheric psychological thriller. Not much of originalty in the screenplay, but still looks fairly well. It's mostly about the atmosphere, of course. Ingvar Eggert Siguršsson (known for Frišrik Žór Frišriksson's masteripece Englar Alheimsins) acts excellent here as well.

Himmelfall

Quite a sardonic tragi-comedy. Kristoffer Joner at his best, Kim Bodnia & Maria Bonnevie also demand a special mention here.

Den som frykter ulven

A very dismal crime thriller, although it contains some
motiffs quite unusual for this genre, it still lacks originality a lot. Feels like the screenwriters weren't sure of what they want to do. And again we find here Kristoffer Joner, one of his most intriguing roles to date. This, and the overall very dark tone, makes it worthy watching though.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 06:43
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I completely agree, they were bad.  Even the Pierce Brosnans were better.

when it comes to Bond i'm pretty lenient
the only Bond I don't like - and I still try to find reasons to like it - is Moonraker (ironically - the best Fleming book in the series)
Seeing them trying to compete with Star Wars was pathetic and the humor was infantile.

A View To A Kill had some horrible moments and the worst Bond girl ever, but Walken's villain made up for it.

The thing I liked about the Dalton Bonds is that they came close to getting back to the basics .. the Roger Moore Bonds were getting pretty outlandish.  (obviously the Craig Bonds perfected the 'back to basics' )

The first Bond I ever saw was The Man With the Golden Gun in the theatres and I was hooked.
When I watch them - I have to watch them all :)

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 07:13
Saw last night:

The Hobbit ... Battle of the 5 armies or whatever...

Well, I was kind of enjoying the films until last night when I saw the end of the trilogy
I was never crazy about the book and couldn't wrap my head around it being expanded into 3 2+ hour films,
but I thought they were pulling it off - until last night.

Had a hard time staying awake for the first half, and all the 'big moments' fell flat.
The end just fizzled out ..  ugh.  No sweeping majesty like the Lord of the Rings ..
It felt like a tired forced effort.

I had bad feelings going in - it was worse than expected.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 07:17

I have a much easy time suspending disbelief about repressed lesbians and sociopathic bodybuilders than an ex-Triad mad scientist with cyborg hands operating a huge secret facility for messing around with missile tests in order to trigger a new world war.

good luck with 90% of all Bond Films then :)

- SpongeBob Socrates
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 07:22

Saw last night:

The Hobbit ... Battle of the 5 armies or whatever...

Well, I was kind of enjoying the films until last night when I saw the end of the trilogy
I was never crazy about the book and couldn't wrap my head around it being expanded into 3 2+ hour films,
but I thought they were pulling it off - until last night.

Had a hard time staying awake for the first half, and all the 'big moments' fell flat.
The end just fizzled out ..  ugh.  No sweeping majesty like the Lord of the Rings ..
It felt like a tired forced effort.

I had bad feelings going in - it was worse than expected.
I felt the same way, so boring Sleepy
The end was even worse, it was painful to watch Dead
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 07:29

Yeah, I don't think I really "get" James Bond in the first place and the only entries in the series I liked are the ones that are most normal. I. e. FRWL and the Daniel Craig stuff.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 07:40

Yeah, I don't think I really "get" James Bond in the first place and the only entries in the series I liked are the ones that are most normal. I. e. FRWL and the Daniel Craig stuff.

they are a product of the times (the 50's) when it seemed that what was 'cool' was pretty ridiculous.
Gambling, drinking, fast cars, the blatant misogyny...

I think it was taken seriously in the beginning but as the times changed culturally, was played more tongue in cheek.

There will always be goofs who think he's the cool man's man every woman wants and every guy wants to be but anyone with half a brain can see it for what it really is.
Obviously the Craig reboot changed things up a bit and attempted to show how a man can become hardened and what drives him, changing him from a simple sexist spy to a 'blunt object' with a broken heart.
It was the right path to take ... but I still see great entertainment in those old films and their outdated values ...   Kind of like watching the 60's Batman TV show. It's so ridiculous it's fun.  

- SpongeBob Socrates
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 21:55

The first Bond I ever saw was The Man With the Golden Gun in the theatres and I was hooked.
When I watch them - I have to watch them all :)

I saw Golden Gun when it came out too and liked it a lot, though quite funny three years later to see Fantasy Island basically lift the entire premise.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 216>