Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 06:59
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

The first Bond I ever saw was The Man With the Golden Gun in the theatres and I was hooked.
When I watch them - I have to watch them all :)

I saw Golden Gun when it came out too and liked it a lot, though quite funny three years later to see Fantasy Island basically lift the entire premise.

I saw it completely by accident.

We were supposed to be seeing Treasure Island which I guess was playing at the rep theatre/play stage
but we automatically went to the regular theatre instead.
The movie opened on the island with Scaramanga doing his training .., so we still thought we were in the right movie for a few moments. I was 13 and immediately fell in love with Britt Ekland's bikinied butt.

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:25
I like the way Pierce Brosnan played the role of Bond but if I based my choice on movies I enjoyed I would go with Daniel Craig.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:56
THE EQUALIZER
Denzel Washington

Denzel plays a character who at first appears to be an average guy working at a home improvement center. But early on you get the feeling that there is more to him than that.
When bad things start happening to people he knows he gets involved and discovers that a group of Russian mobsters are responsible. When he singlehandedly (is that even a word?) confronts and eliminates them your suspicions about his secret past are confirmed. 
Marton Czokas (known for his intense roles) plays a fixer sent by the Russian mob boss to resolve the situation.
This is not a wham bam action movie but rather a subtle story line occasionally interrupted by scenes of extreme violence.
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 12:33
^
I enjoyed the TV show and was hoping this adaptation would be good, but haven't heard much good about it. I'll have to watch it myself soon.
I do still keep Stewart Copeland's original series theme in my playlists. LOL

My wife was nice enough to indulge me and sit through Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" for her first (and only) time. She laughed a little, and powered through like a trooper, but it just wasn't meant to be.
Maybe I should've started her on my favorite one, "Life of Brian".
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 13:03
1990 film about three con artists manipulating each other. I was surprised how it focuses less on a linear single plot and instead tries to get inside the protagonists' heads through showing the ins and outs of their interaction. The decidedly unconventional plot structure, which genuinely went places I hadn't expected it to, and exaggerated modernized-noir visual style along with the disturbing psychosexual dynamic between the characters reminded me a bit of some of David Lynch's films from the same time like Blue Velvet and especially Wild at Heart, just nowhere as surreal. (though Anjelica Huston looks rather odd as a blonde)

Wouldn't place this movie on the level of those two either, but I still really liked it.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 06:14
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

1990 film about three con artists manipulating each other. I was surprised how it focuses less on a linear single plot and instead tries to get inside the protagonists' heads through showing the ins and outs of their interaction. The decidedly unconventional plot structure, which genuinely went places I hadn't expected it to, and exaggerated modernized-noir visual style along with the disturbing psychosexual dynamic between the characters reminded me a bit of some of David Lynch's films from the same time like Blue Velvet and especially Wild at Heart, just nowhere as surreal. (though Anjelica Huston looks rather odd as a blonde)

Wouldn't place this movie on the level of those two either, but I still really liked it.

Annette bening was gorgeous in this film - and nude! 

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 06:23
From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice (my favourite score of all time)

then took a break to see Space Cowboys ...
had it for ages but never watched it - didn't realize it was directed by Eastwood
not a bad film, good effects work, fun watching Donald Sutherland playing a geriatric horndog

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 07:36
I liked Space Cowboys and thought it had a great cast of older actors.
I agree with your comment about Donald Sutherland. I've been a fan since M.A.S.H.
He has a small role in a TV series called Crossing Lines. I have season one on DVD and have watched it twice.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 15:09
The Grifters is definitely the movie to watch if you want to see Annette Bening naked a lot.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 04:35
Gave Bond a break and showed Bladerunner to a friend of mine who'd never seen it before.
I'll take any excuse to watch that film.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 04:38
^Awesome movie! Watching the movie to listen to Vangelis' great soundtrack is also a good excuse Wink
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 05:32
Love is Strange

Sincere portrayal of two married men who lose their apartment and have to live with friends and family.   John Lithgow and Alfred Molina sensitively negotiate Ira Sachs' material with a good supporting cast.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 17:18
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Gave Bond a break and showed Bladerunner to a friend of mine who'd never seen it before.
I'll take any excuse to watch that film.
Just caught it on cable the other night. 
If I can't find an excuse to watch this movie I'll make one up.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 07:14
back to Bond

Watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

A lot of people don't like this one but I love it ..

I really like Lazenby as Bond .. I think he pulled off a lot of things that Connery wouldn't have been able to do as well.

Ballsy film too ... they break the 4th wall, he tries to quit, he gets married, etc etc.

Also - and I noticed this for the first time on Blu-Ray - you clearly see a girls nipple - which I don't think was done before or since.  a lot of teasing but no actual skin.

And the opening theme is amazing - one of the best.
I wish he'd had another shot at it before Connery came back ..

- SpongeBob Socrates
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 14:10
^
Agreed on all parts. It's one of my favorite Bond movies, and Lazenby was superb. I'm not a fan of Moore's entries at all, but the rest of the Bond actors and movies I've enjoyed, even Dalton. Well, Brosnan was a great choice, but after his fantastic Goldeneye debut, things got so ridiculously cartoony that they managed to outdo the silliness of even the Moore movies and were nearly unwatchable.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodnarfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 16:34
The Imitation Game

Alan Turing's Biopic.  Great acting by Cumberbatch and everyone else. Emphasizes the value of his work to ending WWII and modern computing appropriately.  Unfortunately glosses over his persecution for being a homosexual and eventual suicide, in favor of a more uplifting ending.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 16:43
Steppenwolf (1974)

Based on a novel by Hermann Hesse. Lame screenplay which (despite of being quite close to the book) makes the film look like a bunch of unconnected episodes, weak director's work and the director of photography's work is even worse. Great actors, it's hard to find a better choice for the leading role than Max von Sydow (the only other actor I could ever imagine portraying Harry Haller is probably Gary Oldman).

It's a shame actually that the movie fails so much. With Max von Sydow it could've been a masterwork.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 09:13
heading to Taken 3 tonight so i watched Taken with my son.

He's the right age for the films now but was a little too young for them when they first came out.

always a pleasure watching Liam Neeson kicking ass. 

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 10:21
Last night I watched the original version (1973) of The Wicker Man with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee. I was scrolling down the cable channels and found it on Flix.
I'll assume that most of you have seen it but if anyone hasn't, I suggest you do so if only to see how some film makers were pushing the boundaries back then.
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 11:23
Blue Ruin (on Netflix)

Intense and fun- a great revenge movie. Don't miss it!

9/10

(95% or so on Rotten Tomatoes)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 216>