Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 09:20
Wanted 3..

ho hum entry of the series ruined for me by the hyper kinetic editing - especially during a car chase.

i really hate car chases . there's about 3 good ones in the history of film and the rest bring nothing new to the table.
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 12:08
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Wanted 3..

ho hum entry of the series ruined for me by the hyper kinetic editing - especially during a car chase.

i really hate car chases . there's about 3 good ones in the history of film and the rest bring nothing new to the table.
I like action movies and have for a long time and I agree with you about car chases. I don't know why film makers feel that every action movie absolutely has to have a car chase scene. 
There are only so many scenarios that can be used to create a car chase scene and they have all been done and done and done again. 
No matter how advanced cinematography and special effects get, there are still only a certain number of ways that something can be done. 
And BTW, this definitely includes driving against oncoming traffic.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 17:49
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Wanted 3..

I like action movies and have for a long time and I agree with you about car chases. I don't know why film makers feel that every action movie absolutely has to have a car chase scene. 
There are only so many scenarios that can be used to create a car chase scene and they have all been done and done and done again. 
No matter how advanced cinematography and special effects get, there are still only a certain number of ways that something can be done. 
And BTW, this definitely includes driving against oncoming traffic.

driving against oncoming traffic is one of the three.  and that belongs to To Live and Die in LA

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 18:02
There were two early car chases that have stuck in my mind.
One in Bullitt with Steve McQueen and one in The French Connection with Gene Hackman. (I think Hackman was chasing an L train)
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 18:08
Il deserto dei tartari

Merely a masterpiece. Beautiful, meaningful & stylish, this is a deep existential drama of a phantasmagoric world on the edge. Everything about this movie is flawless: screenplay, actors, soundtrack, production design (the film was shot in a real castle in Iran, now almost destroyed).

Highly recommended.
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 18:16

One in Bullitt with Steve McQueen and one in The French Connection with Gene Hackman. (I think Hackman was chasing an L train)

those are the other 2 :)

- SpongeBob Socrates
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 20:16
^ Don't forget Elliot Gould in Capricorn One;  one of the greatest ever
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 20:59
Don't get me wrong, there have been some very good chase scenes that were necessary to the story line.
But when they're thrown in just for the heck of it, that's a waste of time and money.
And making a chase scene longer does not make it better.

On a personal note, I'm a huge fan of muscle cars from the 60s and 70s.
When I see a beautiful Chevelle SS or Dodge Charger totaled in a needless chase scene I cringe.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 22:01
Just saw Jodorowski's Dune. Which was awesome until he got to the raping Frank Herbert part. But the whole thing makes me so sad that we never heard the Magma Harkonen music realized. It also showed us that Giger's health was quite poor prior to his tumble.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 22:03
^ After seeing it I couldn't help feel as if, had it been made, would've been a disaster
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 06:37
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Just saw Jodorowski's Dune. Which was awesome until he got to the raping Frank Herbert part. But the whole thing makes me so sad that we never heard the Magma Harkonen music realized. It also showed us that Giger's health was quite poor prior to his tumble.

dying to see this

- SpongeBob Socrates
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 10:41
Started Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone last night -
felt like running the series through again.

I know everyone says this but it's so weird seeing how young they were when this began.

I stand by these films as a whole .. very well made films, over the top and a lot of fun - like the best kids books are meant to be.

- SpongeBob Socrates
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 11:22
Definitely with you on the HP films - I like to think these will stand the test of time...

...still begs the question, though:

Edited by Jim Garten - January 19 2015 at 11:25

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 11:37
^^^^ trademark and style defies logic :)

- SpongeBob Socrates
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ole-the-first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 11:38

Started Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone last night -
felt like running the series through again.

I know everyone says this but it's so weird seeing how young they were when this began.

I stand by these films as a whole .. very well made films, over the top and a lot of fun - like the best kids books are meant to be.

And the actors in HP films (i.e. the supporting cast) are more than classy :) Most of them are today's best British & Irish actors, from John Hurt to Brendan Gleeson.
This night wounds time.
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 12:00

driving against oncoming traffic is one of the three.  and that belongs to To Live and Die in LA

One of my all-time favorite movies.

Interestingly enough, the chase scene in To Live and Die in L.A. was so good, because the director stressed that unless it was better than the chase scene in The French Connection, it wouldn't be used in the movie.

Which also reminds me, there's a mission in Grand Theft Auto IV based on the train chase scene from French Connection. Big smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 04:20
RED

Absurd but fun shoot-'em-up as an aging team of ex-black operators reunite to find out why they're being targeted.   Intentionally predictable but often inventive, the film is much in the vein of Ocean's Eleven if not quite as stylish.   Pure old-school escapism. 

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 05:05
Kung Fu Hustle - 2004 Directed by and starring Stephen Chow

Loaned to me by a work colleague, this is NOT something I would normally sample but hell yeah, it was great fun and wasn't above taking the piss out of itself in places. Effectively, it's a wuxia novel turned into a cartoon but with a real life cast who even run and move like Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner. Much better than the admirable but tiresome forensic choreography of Jackie Chan. It also references practically every martial arts, gangster and super hero movie ever made so get ready to 'spot those quotations'.
On the down side, no martial arts movie has ever contained attempts at black humour that were anything other than 'archly chipper'. Swap places with the dog and just lap this up.

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 20 2015 at 05:06
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 13:31
John Wick

Strong action movie, and Keanu's understated emotional performance serves his character well. The fight scenes, which are pretty much what the entire movie is from start to finish, are all very nicely shot and executed.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 13:54
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

John Wick

Strong action movie, and Keanu's understated emotional performance serves his character well. The fight scenes, which are pretty much what the entire movie is from start to finish, are all very nicely shot and executed.
in the theatre or DVD?

I've been wanting to see this but haven't seen it released yet

- SpongeBob Socrates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 216>