Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 15:32
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Collateral Damage

this is the Arnold film that was sensitively shelved for a couple of years due to the attack on the World Trade Centre.

At the time it was quite the departure for him as it wasn't over the top as most of his action films were - it was pretty low key and serious. 

Oblivion

Second viewing - i saw it in the theatre and recently bought it when i found the blu-ray selling for next to nothing. I really enjoyed this film, gorgeous to look at and the story held my interest. I don't think it did that well and i'm not sure why - solid entertainment.
I liked both of these movies and have them in my collection.
I especially liked Oblivion. It had a great cast and excellent visual effects. The script was well written and the continuity kept my attention to the end.

i just noticed this time that all the albums in Jack's collection (Oblivion) were prog :)
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 06:42
Contagion.

yikes!

good film...... but not very spiritually uplifting if you know what I mean.

Gwyneth Paltrow went through the wringer for this one.

- SpongeBob Socrates
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 01:55
Boyhood - ambitious gimmick, overall delivery so so: 6/0
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 06:43
Premium Rush

Normally i'd take a pass on a movie with a title like an 80's Van Damme flick but I trust Joseph Gordon-Levitt's choices... he's a sharp character.

The other red flag was the bike messenger concept which failed badly before in Quicksilver (Kevin Bacon) but I soldiered on and was rewarded with a crisp entertaining film. Highly recommended ..

The baddie, Michael Shannon seemed to be channeling Ray Liotta in Something Wild but it worked just fine in this film.

- SpongeBob Socrates
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *frinspar* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 10:41
See, I'm a sucker for 80s movies like Quicksilver. Bacon's horrible fake mustache and bad wig in the beginning set the tone and let you know what to expect and have fun with it. It was like every after school special crammed together, with a little bit of Trading Places, on bikes. Plus, that alley contest where they're doing the tricks was pretty neat. LOL

I got the feeling Premium Rush was a semi-remake of Quicksilver anyway. There were a lot of similarities, but it was a lot of fun.

I totally got the Liotta vibe from Shannon in that, too. Which is by no means a bad thing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 10:49
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

See, I'm a sucker for 80s movies like Quicksilver. Bacon's horrible fake mustache and bad wig in the beginning set the tone and let you know what to expect and have fun with it. It was like every after school special crammed together, with a little bit of Trading Places, on bikes. Plus, that alley contest where they're doing the tricks was pretty neat. LOL

I got the feeling Premium Rush was a semi-remake of Quicksilver anyway. There were a lot of similarities, but it was a lot of fun.

I totally got the Liotta vibe from Shannon in that, too. Which is by no means a bad thing.

i'll be honest - I like Kevin Bacon in anything
I just didn't see how that subject matter could justify a second film ... but I really liked what they did with it

- SpongeBob Socrates
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 15:19

It's not exactly clear from the poster, but this is a much-hyped documentary about UFOs specifically how the mythology surrounding UFOs was in part deliberately cultivated by US military counter-intelligence in order to confuse outside investigators into secrets. It's built up rather un-sensationalistically around interviews of some of the intelligence agents responsible, as well as people in the UFO investigator subculture, who each get to tell their own stories. The man on the poster is USAF officer Richard Doty, who was tasked with convincing a businessman living close to a USAF base (among other things) that he was indeed seeing alien spaceships rather than secret military prototypes.

At the end of the day, the "real stories" unearthed are so bizarre - apparently the cattle mutilations have connections to fracking tests? - that I'm starting to wonder if they aren't in part misinformation too meant to cover up for even bigger secrets. There's so many layers of disinformation here that I'm ultimately not sure either, and neither does it appear Doty himself is.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 03:47
Gone Girl

Emotionally detached mystery with the ever inane Ben Affleck plagued by his disappeared wife, Gone Girl is a cold and depraved crime drama that leaves us caring little about any of the characters, brought along only by a mildly interesting plot. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 07:24
The Great Gatsby

Gorgeous, well crafted film, as you would expect from Luhrmann, but (I'm embarrassed to say) without having ever read the book, it felt like something was missing.

There is a Wuthering Heights vibe to the story that seemed like it could have been a lot darker, grittier than presented here, but that's fine, it was this directors vision/style

Not entirely sure how I feel about it. I think I was expecting something more complex. The reveals didn't have much impact, the focus was obviously on the gloss of the presentation (which I did appreciate)

I guess with the expectations out of the way i'll have to revisit eventually.

The Dictator

Well, it made me laugh a few times but it was no Borat.
It started strong but fell apart once the character started arcing - the common downfall of most 'shock comedies'  Once they start to deliver a message and get bogged down in sentimentality they lose the comedic energy.

I'm not saying that all comedies have to be shock and awe but if you establish the film thusly - it's best to stay the course - and finish stronger than you started. 

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 07:53
My DVD player took a dump a couple of days ago so yesterday I bought a new one as well as three new movies. 
Fury
Lucy
John Wick
As soon as I get all hooked up I will comment on these.
I also picked up season one of The Americans but it will be a few days before I get into it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 08:01

My DVD player took a dump a couple of days ago so yesterday I bought a new one as well as three new movies. 
Fury
Lucy
John Wick
I also picked up season one of The Americans but it will be a few days before I get into it.

although everyone crapped on it - I really liked Lucy.
I'm picking up John Wick on the weekend ..

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 09:02
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Fury
Lucy
John Wick

although everyone crapped on it - I really liked Lucy.
I'm picking up John Wick on the weekend ..
I have liked everything I have seen Scarlett Johansson in so I will probably like Lucy.
My son told me that John Wick is supposed to be the best thing Keanu Reeves has done since The Matrix so we'll see.
From everything I've heard about Fury I know I will like it. I grew up watching black and white WWII movies and my Dad was in a tank unit in France and Belgium so I'm anxious to see this movie.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 13:01
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

It's not exactly clear from the poster, but this is a much-hyped documentary about UFOs specifically how the mythology surrounding UFOs was in part deliberately cultivated by US military counter-intelligence in order to confuse outside investigators into secrets. It's built up rather un-sensationalistically around interviews of some of the intelligence agents responsible, as well as people in the UFO investigator subculture, who each get to tell their own stories. The man on the poster is USAF officer Richard Doty, who was tasked with convincing a businessman living close to a USAF base (among other things) that he was indeed seeing alien spaceships rather than secret military prototypes.

At the end of the day, the "real stories" unearthed are so bizarre - apparently the cattle mutilations have connections to fracking tests? - that I'm starting to wonder if they aren't in part misinformation too meant to cover up for even bigger secrets. There's so many layers of disinformation here that I'm ultimately not sure either, and neither does it appear Doty himself is.

Read the original book by Mark Pilkington...looking forward to seeing the film one day. Doty's name comes up in many ufo books as someone who has played games with ufologists  and others . Wouldn't trust anything he says.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 13:05
You can watch The Mirage Men on this Danish TV station's website until the 11/2. Also, it is just me or does the title sound like a perfect name for a 1980s goth rock or shoegaze group?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 04:25
The Drop

Another remarkable performance from Tom Hardy, this time as a Brooklyn bartender who has to answer to the local Chechen mob when the bar is robbed of racket money.   Slow at times but a decent gangster flick overall.   Also features James Gandolfini.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 08:47
Rambo

Good God this film is bat-sh*t nuts - in a fascinating way.
A horror film masquerading as a military action film.

Not sure what Stallone intended here. It starts as a ham fisted message film but devolves into an insanely violent Dirty Harry revenge flick where the bad guys get obliterated like ive never seen before.
Throughout the film you witness the antagonists performing every manner of despicable inhumane acts so you aren't exactly sad to see them go - but this payback is total destruction.

I've got to hand it to the editor because that last battle was so well cut together making it far more effective than it had any right to be. Set pieces that must have taken a long time to work out and set up were on and off screen in a microsecond, one complex gag after another. Normally I don't care for CGI blood effects but it was handled so well here it packed a hell of a visual punch.

On the whole it's a brutal film, rough on the spirit, but that finale was something to behold for it's technical merits if nothing else.

I didn't watch the end credits scroll by thinking, 'man I really liked that film', but it did make me go "holy mother of god - what did I just see?"

Edited by Walton Street - February 06 2015 at 08:48

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 09:45
I assume you're talking about the film where Rambo rescues the missionaries in Burma. I had the wrong Conan last time.
This film was definitely intense and bloody but not that far from the realities that happen around the world on a regular basis. In those instances (as in the film) the bad guys are brutally murdering their own people.
So yes, you really don't mind all that much when the bad guys get blown to pieces by a 50 cal. machine gun.
The film also shows that John Rambo can be more deadly with a big knife and a bow than other action heroes can be with an arsenal of weapons.
I believe this is the only movie where a woman (Sarah) catches Rambo's eye. He was obviously attracted to her and only agreed to ferry the missionaries upriver because she convinced him to.
I honestly believe that if it wasn't for her he would not have agreed to go on the rescue mission.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 09:49

I assume you're talking about the film where Rambo rescues the missionaries in Burma. I had the wrong Conan last time.
This film was definitely intense and bloody but not that far from the realities that happen around the world on a regular basis. In those instances (as in the film) the bad guys are brutally murdering their own people.
So yes, you really don't mind all that much when the bad guys get blown to pieces by a 50 cal. machine gun.
The film also shows that John Rambo can be more deadly with a big knife and a bow than other action heroes can be with an arsenal of weapons.
I believe this is the only movie where a woman (Sarah) catches Rambo's eye. He was obviously attracted to her and only agreed to ferry the missionaries upriver because she convinced him to.
I honestly believe that if it wasn't for her he would not have agreed to go on the rescue mission.

he says as much at one point.

I met Julie Benz on a press junket for Rambo ... she was the first person in the profession I ever photographed.
I was nervous and did a crap job :)

Within days I bought proper pro gear and learned how to use it ...as a direct result of that experience

- SpongeBob Socrates
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 09:54
This is what I watched last night.
A great director and an excellent cast can take 
a done and redone story line and keep you interested  
from beginning to end.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 10:15
I met Julie Benz on a press junket for Rambo ... she was the first person in the profession I ever photographed.
I was nervous and did a crap job :)

Within days I bought proper pro gear and learned how to use it ...as a direct result of that experience
[/QUOTE]
I'm not too familiar with her work but it was very cool that you met her.
In my construction career I worked many times at various studios but never met anyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 216>