Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 216>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 21:56
^ Sounds good
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 00:34
The Gentleman

Never been a Guy Ritchie fan and this was just a case of needing to kill time during my extended holiday break last week. It did mark my first experience of going to a cinema with recliner seats . They come in 'doubles' so unfortunately I had to sit next to some random bloke rather than a hot woman . Oh well.
As for the film itself it was a pleasant surprise. The emphasis on dialogue and characters pleased me and making Hugh Grant the main character was a gamble that largely paid off. He was great and just what the doctor ordered. I would have liked a bit more action but when it came it was perfectly staged and tinged with much needed dark humour. I also loved Michelle Dockery popping up as 'gangster's moll' to Mathew McConaughey's assured turn as 'The Gentleman' . On the downside I found the plot just far too complicated and you just have to go with the flow, but it did flow well after a slow start. Overall a solid 4 stars and fans of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels will love this.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 00:54
Joker

Rarely is a film so extraordinary that it's hard to put into words.   Suffice to say Joker is the best portrayal of mental illness I've seen in movies, and a very special piece of work.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 01:23
^ agreed about Joker even if has been very divisive.

Edited by richardh - January 11 2020 at 01:24
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 09:15
Watched John Wick 3..Parabellum.. the other  day....if you like nonstop killing (literally several hundred people get shot, knifed or bludgeoned to death by Mr Wick..) and 'martial arts' type fighting..then it's your kind of film; while it did have some interesting mythic elements at times  , I would pass on it. I would watch the first one if you haven't seen any of them.

Edited by dr wu23 - January 25 2020 at 09:17
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 09:40
Osānda- 7.5/10
An ex-convict seeks a quiet life in the mountains, falls in love, and becomes a crime suspect. I think this movie was very good, and I think 95% of the people here would like it as well.

I found one with English subtitles on YouTube (below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xoM4cKV1sM
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:30
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Osānda- 7.5/10
An ex-convict seeks a quiet life in the mountains, falls in love, and becomes a crime suspect. I think this movie was very good, and I think 95% of the people here would like it as well.

happy to see people watching this movie, it's one of my favorites. The book it's based on is a page turner, couldn't put it down.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 15:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Osānda- 7.5/10

happy to see people watching this movie, it's one of my favorites. The book it's based on is a page turner, couldn't put it down.

Thanks - I'll add the book to my list :)
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 18:36
Going to the San Francisco Noir Film Festival tonight at S.F.'s historic Castro Theater.   This year's focus is on international Noir, particularly films set in post-War Europe.   Tonight's feature is 'The Fifth Horseman is Fear' from 1965 about a Jewish doctor in Prague who archives property confiscated by the Nazis  --

Image result for and the fifth horseman is fear

Edited by Atavachron - January 28 2020 at 18:37
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 13:18
and last night I caught a British noir from 1957 -

Image result for the long haul movie 1957
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 00:06
^ Diana Dors - 'The British Marilyn Monroe' . She was from my home town of Swindon but hated the place and couldn't wait to get away ( can't blame her for that). Reinvented herself as a 'Character actor' later in her career and never seemed to be too far from controversy it seemed.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 17:53
^ I found her much more like Jayne Mansfield than Monroe.   She was rather good in the role.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 13:56
Terminator: Dark Fate

In a welcome return to James Cameron's original storyline, Dark Fate shows the world as Sarah Connor left it: saved from the rise of the machines as an ironically crusty and bitter Connor watches an unappreciative and oblivious world pass her by.   Until a young woman who's fate impacts the future is marked for termination by an as yet destroyed Skynet and an enhanced human is sent to protect her.   The film has merits and plenty of moments, but in trying to recapture the first two Terminator films it only reminds how good they were and how unnecessary a retelling is.   A fine two hours of entertainment but unrewarding ultimately. 

Edited by Atavachron - February 10 2020 at 13:57
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 00:47
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I found her much more like Jayne Mansfield than Monroe.   She was rather good in the role.

yes that's probably right about the Jayne Mansfield comparison. She certainly had acting 'chops' which she showed off perhaps better late on in her career.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 13:45
Ford v Ferrari

Good car racing movies are hard to come by and this one both proves and disproves that rule.  Certainly superior to a Days of Thunder or a Grand Prix, Ford vs. Ferrari makes an effort and considering they wanted to cast Tom Cruise & Brad Pitt as the leads, we benefit from that change of direction.   However, the story appears to be greatly fictionalized and has little relation to the real life of sportscar racer Ken Miles or innovative builder Carroll Shelby and as usual, is mucked-up by Hollywood's unflinching drive to mix drama, romance, action, tragedy, and humor into one dumbed-down spectacle we've seen too many times before.   Not bad, just not great.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 01:23
The Irishman - Netflix 2019

well this is one hell of a marathon stretching to 3 and half hours . Good job you can just press 'pause' occasionally for a toilet break! So we have the much talked about Scorcese epic featuring the fantastic triumvirat of actors Robert De Niro , Al Pacino and Jo Pesci. De Niro plays the bodyguard of the transport union leader Jimmy Hoffa (portrayed by Pacino) via Pesci's dubious businessman fixer type who has strong ties with the Mafia. Much of the film is about these 3 characters and how their relationship develops. It covers about 5 decades of story (hence the length) and offers an explanation for the well known disappearance of Hoffa in 1975. This is not a spoiler as De Niro's character mentions it early in the film if you didn't already know!
I enjoyed it a lot and much of this is because of De Niro and Pacino being on the screen together for much of the film. They utilise CGI very cleverly to allow the 3 actors to play all versions of themselves. At the beginning I couldn't help notice it and it was a bit jarring but after a while I forgot about it and became very immersed in the story instead. There is one other notable performance in the film and that was the British Actor Stephen Graham playing a very nasty character that clashes with Hoffa. Graham plays these type of spikey annoying little 'sh*tbags' extremely well!
Overall it was a very enjoyable film. Predictably I will have to say it was too long so would give it 4 stars out of 5 but recommend it for anyone who is a fan of Scorcese , Pacino and De Niro which I hope is pretty much everyone!

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 04:23
Girl on the Third Floor 2019 Directed by Travis Stevens

Despite a 'straight edge' wrestler (CM Punk) failing entirely to convince in the role of disgraced lawyer, philandering husband, recovering alcoholic and wannabe handyman (Don Koch) this gets incredibly good after a very sluggish opening half hour. That said, the best performance on screen until the redeeming entrance of Mrs Koch (Trieste Kelly Dunn) towards the conclusion is that of the family dog (Cooper) who exhibits a range and nuance of expression that dwarfs those of both scorned 'ghost' hooker (Sarah Brooks) and 'ethical' African American lawyer (Travis Delgado) The ominously unnerving visuals advance the story far better than the dialogue and it's the uber creepy house and the aforementioned Cooper doing most of the heavy lifting here. You also get a superb twist thrown in for good measure. It's gory in places yes, but never gratuitously so as the psychological dismantling of an already very flawed man (Mr Koch) is the real payback here. Carries a deferential nod from debut Director Stevens in the direction of the Shining, the Amityville Horror and the Devil's Candy. If this was an album on PA it would get 4 stars out of five.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 15:54
Out of the Past

Robert Mitchum at his hard-nosed best in this penultimate Noir from 1947 with a cold & calculating Kirk Douglas as the Big Man and pouty Jane Greer a designing femme fatale.   Seminal and definitive American crime drama in glorious black & white has Mitchum as a private eye searching for Douglas' ex who shot him and ran off with a stash of money.   If you were teaching a class on film noir appreciation and could only screen one, this would probably be it.
Out of the Past (1947 poster - retouched).jpg

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 03:45
Midsommar - 2019 Directed by Ari Aster

I has seen the directors previous film Hereditary which I found confusing (especially the last act) but quite enjoyed the 'intent' at making a proper creepy horror film that gets under your skin. Being a fan of the 1973 British film The Wicker Man (surely the greatest film about pagan cults) and being a genre that is very often overlooked or lampooned ( As was the case in Hot Fuzz) then it was very intriguing to hear about this film.
Basically the set up is a group of young college age friends decide (or are they persuaded? ) to travel to Sweden for a festival . The one girl in the group has had a recent tragic family bereavement event and her boyfriend is one of the group. He is a real stand up guy and looks after and genuinely cares for her. That is not a spoiler as this is made clear from the beginning.
So they arrive in Sweden at the perfect rural setting. The people all seem genuine and likeable. I mean the Swedes are all a nice bunch aren't they. The film like so many modern films is very long clocking in at 2 and half hours but I was never bored at any point. The actors are excellent and the beautiful scenery keeps the thing chugging along nicely. Yes we know something is just not quite right with this hippy community and the first sign of this comes with a weird ceremony. Now at this point most normal people would just hot hoof it out of there pronto! I'm really not clear why this doesn't happen and for the characters you know they are going to regret it. 
Really its a pretty standard horror film plot wise but there's enough fun to be had along the way and it's enjoyable if you like this sort of stuff. I do!

(3 out 5 stars) but maybe add an extra mark if you really like the psychological horror film genre.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 05:25
^ I too enjoyed Hereditary (but share your misgivings about the unwittingly comedic ending) so I might take a peek at Midsommar Thumbs Up The Scandinavians do seem to have their own style of horror and you might enjoy Bodom directed by Taneli Mustonen from 2016 (Finland)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 216>