Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 216>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 15:26
Raw Deal

Otherworldly noir from director Anthony Mann and legendary cinematographer John Alton has a man on the run from prison helped by his nervous girlfriend and a cerebral caseworker as their hostage.   Eerily narrated by the perfectly cast Claire Trevor, the film is the noir genre at its relentless and drug-induced best as the man tracks down his nemesis Raymond Burr for revenge.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 02:01
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ I too enjoyed Hereditary (but share your misgivings about the unwittingly comedic ending) so I might take a peek at Midsommar Thumbs Up The Scandinavians do seem to have their own style of horror and you might enjoy Bodom directed by Taneli Mustonen from 2016 (Finland)

I would have liked a bit more creepiness in Midsommar but it's still an entertaining watch . Thanks for the recommendation.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 16:18
Uncut Gems

In a tumult of frantic energy, Adam Sandler is a NYC jeweler with a bad Basketball gambling problem, too many criminal friends, and the worst judgement in a character since Ray Liotta's Henry Hill as he tears his life apart in a mad race to retrieve a precious hunk of gem-embedded rock while fending-off gangsters and risking other peoples' cash hoping to hit big on a game.   Uncut Gems is a celebration of schadenfreude as the audience sits back and thanks the gods their life doesn't even approach the relentless lifestyle captured by Sandler and filmmakers Josh & Ben Safdie.   A small criminal fantasy of tragic proportions.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 01:44
The Platform - Netflix

Spanish language film that is totally gripping. Basically 2 people are locked in a prison ( called the hole) and the 'cells' are stacked on many levels ( 2 people per cell). There is a hole in the middle where a platform containing food comes down from the top and stops for a few minutes to allow the inmates to eat whatever they want before it continues on to the next level. There is fast retribution for anyone that hordes food so the higher levels stuff their faces when they can and the lower levels basically … well you can imagine that the higher level inmates don't leave very much for those below. So there is another form of food but not what you would want. Very clever premise and a very good watch for its hour an a half ( but don't eat your dinner watching it).
4 stars (out of 5)
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 04:51
the Platform Directed by Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia (2019)

Can only endorse the sentiments of richardh above. This is certainly not for the squeamish but incredibly prescient and relevant given the current global pandemic. Redolent of Cube and Snow Piercer, it explores the iniquities of a vertical structure where those who take more than they need simply create a self perpetuating cycle of resentment, distrust, cruelty and revenge. Heavily allegorical and all three movies can be reduced down to variations of Goethe's Faustian pact narrative. (you can also throw into the mix a critique of capitalism and the occasional echo of Sartre's No Exit) Yes, the 'child as the message of redemption' riff at the conclusion is a tad w.a.n.k.y but this is otherwise, hugely enjoyable from start to finish.
Prog trivia: that the lead (Iván Massagué) is a dead ringer for Zappa, will not be lost upon the PA membership

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 04 2020 at 05:01
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 07:32
Caught up with a bunch during the lockdown (still ongoing) with mixed results. Not listing the Indian films I watched for obvious reasons so it's a lot more effectively than this list. Tongue

Gangs of New York - Finally got around to watching what seemed like the movie prototype for Peaky Blinders.  Vintage crime.  Powerhouse performance from the unbeatable DDL shrinks what might have been a rather long movie. Leo was a great foil too, but a foil was all he could be up against the otherworldly villainy DDL wrought. 

Training Day - Watched it to finally satisfy my curiosity as to whether Denzel really deserved the Oscar over Crowe (Beautiful Mind) that year.  I came back with a no but it was a good watch, one of Denzel's better movies.  Ethan Hawke did well too in unusual (for him) crime beat settings.

Darkest Hour - Had heard previously that it was rather a propaganda affair but I watched it for Gary Oldman and wasn't disappointed on that count, nor with the supporting cast. 

Baby Driver -  Lily James essayed Churchill's PA of sorts for Darkest Hour and transforms effortlessly into an Atlanta waitress for this car chase caper with a twist - this one taps into the mix tape craze of our times.  The denouement was unconvincing but until then, it was a superfun watch.

Crazy Stupid Love - So...covid means more wifetime and she isn't exactly into political thrillers or high concept movies, which means lots of romcoms.  This was a very uneven and overall not well etched out story (seriously, that scene where all actors land up at the celebration was like routine Indian slapstick).  But the performances carried it through.  Marisa Tomei has a brilliant cameo as a sex hungry school teacher.  About the only reason why you wouldn't question the very conceit is the way she carries it.  It took me a while to remember her as the My Cousin Vinny actress (and that's a good thing, it indicates an actor who disappears into their roles as opposed to playing themselves).  I got curious about what all films she's been in over the years and that led me onto...

Happy Accidents - A sort of high concept romedy.  I won't discuss what the concept is but suffice it to say the concept itself doesn't fully hold together and the attempt to engineer a surprise, ambivalent ending ends up finishing the movie on an abrupt note.  With all that said, both Tomei and Vincent D'Onofrio etch their parts beautifully and that makes it well worth the ride. If you can't imagine D'Onofrio in a romedy, that's because it has nothing in common with regular romedy fare like Runaway Bride or Sleepless In Seattle.  I could imagine Tom Hanks pulling off D'Onofrio's role but Richard Gere/George Clooney/Pierce Brosnan would find their considerable physical endowments to be rather ill suited to this endeavour and be at a loss. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2020 at 13:14

More surreal art-movie than period war drama, 1917 is director Sam Mendes solution to having found no script worth making so he wrote it himself based on his grandfather's stories of WWI who was a foot messenger on the Western Front in North France.   The plot is simple and clean and illuminates the personal experience of the lowly foot soldier more than it does the overall war experience in Europe, featuring long extended camera takes creating a feeling of a single-shot film, trench warfare up close and personal, and gorgeous photography.  

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 00:42
^ That's a film I'm looking forward to watching at some point when its a bit cheaper , or maybe I will splash out on the DVD.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 16:43
The Current War

Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse are pitted against each other in a mad dash to secure control over the electrical revolution at the close of the 19th Century.   But though an immaculate cast including Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Nicholas Hoult, and Tom Holland keeps things interesting and a riveting electronic score from Dustin O'Halloran & Volker Bertelmann provides movement and consistency, we feel a bit pushed around--  manipulated by history and circumstance much like the men under these giants must've felt.   Reasonably entertaining and marginally illuminating, The Current War is a decent if melodramatic effort.

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 16:50
Impostor (2001). Well, I'm almost positive that Philip K. Dick's short story is impressive (the plot seemingly would easily and seamlessly fit to the short story format), but I cannot say the same thing for its movie adaptation. First of all, it is not sci-fi enough. It didn't make me feel like I'm in an "alien" world (space and time). Secondly, too much action is seen throughout and too much protagonist-centrism. I liked the ending, but it didn't worth spending/wasting around an hour and a half. Some say that it is better than Minority Report, and to that I sarcastically disagree.

6.5/10

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 27 2021 at 16:51
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 06:06
Friede and I just watched Maren Ade's 2016 movie "Toni Erdmann" again, and this made me want to write a review of it. here we go:

"Toni Erdmann" is mainly a movie about a father/daughter relationship. the father Winfried Conradi (Peter Simonischek) is a retired music teacher and notorious prankster (right in the opening scene you see him receiving a package from the mailman wearing the false teeth and ugly wig he later dons for his assumed persona Toni Erdmann). after his dog dies he feels lonely and longs to see his daughter Ines (Sandra Hüller) again, who works as a business consultant and is currently in Bucharest for an outsourcing project in the oil industry.

he embarrasses her when he appears at a meeting of her with one of the CEOs of the oil company, and they have a row afterwards. Winfried leaves, but then, to the total surprise and shock of Ines, reappears a few days later wearing the false teeth and wig and introducing himself as Toni Erdmann while she is out partying with two girlfriends, pretending he is a life coach (he later assumes other professions too; at one point he claims he is the German ambassador for Bucharest and Ines is his assistant Whitney Schnuck (which leads to one of the two standout scenes of the movie which in my opinion are instant cinema classics).

I don't want to go into the details of the movie; you really have to see it. the two lead actors deliver stellar performances, their characters are absolutely believable.

the movie is 162 minutes long, but I would not remove a second. which leads to an observation I made while re-watching the movie. there are several scenes in the movie that other directors would most likely have cut earlier. the dialogue is over, cut! not so Maren Ade; she lets the scenes run on for a few more seconds and that way catches the awkward silences after them, which leaves the actors room for some body language - a twitch of the mouth, a desperate look upwards and the likes. this was a really daring decision, but it works and makes the characters feel so much more realistic.

another thing that is interesting about the movie is that it doesn't have any score. the only time you hear music is when there is actual music in the scene. which I actually wish should be so for many more movies.

the film won numerous awards, for example best movie, best direction, best screenplay, best female actor and best male actor at the European Film Festival. it was nominated for an Oscar as best foreign movie in 2017 but didn't get it; I think it should have. I cannot recommend this movie highly enough, it is in my opinion the best movie of the 2010 decade that I have seen. if you haven't seen it yet, watch it now!

Edited by BaldJean - January 30 2021 at 06:48

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 10:29
I would just like to add that after having seen "Toni Erdmann" you will never look at a petit four the same way as before. A petit four is a small bite-sized confectionery or savory appetizer. The name is French for "small oven" (note the resemblance to "furnace").

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 10:44
Movies I watched very recently:

All the Presidents' Men (1976) - I somehow got inspired to watch it. The scenes with Deep Throat and the shopping centre are probably my favourite part.

Ordet (1953) - I admit I have somewhat mixed feelings about it, especially as I have difficulties relating to the religious aspects. The ressurection scene even leaves me uncomfortable. But then, there are other elements of it which I love such as the amazing camera work. Also, the mad son who thinks he is Jesus is definitely a fascinating character. But I think Dreyer has made better films.

All About My Mother (1999) - Very quirky film as often with Almodóvar.

Hail Caesar (2016) - Speaking of quirkiness...

Edited by The Anders - January 30 2021 at 10:45
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 10:56
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

All About My Mother (1999) - Very quirky film as often with Almodóvar.

Hail Caesar (2016) - Speaking of quirkiness...

"Quirky" is definitely a word to describe "Toni Erdmann".

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 11:02
I haven't seen that one. Maybe I will one day.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 11:15
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I haven't seen that one. Maybe I will one day.

Don't rely on the trailer of the movie; it does not communicate at all what "Toni Erdmann" is about. When the movie was screened at the 2016 Cannes Festival there were lots of laughs in the audience, and after two scenes there was spontaneous applause, which is very rare at the Cannes Festival and had not happened there for over twenty years. And after the movie there were several minutes of standing ovations.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 30 2021 at 11:17

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 11:15
I love quirky movies and found "Hail Caesar" to be quite enjoyable but I'm a Coen Brothers fan.  I'll have to check out "Toni Erdmann" sometime.  

"Mutiny on the Bounty" (1935 or thereabouts).  Doesn't even come close to the book, but then the book wouldn't have translated to the screen I would bet.  This version is pretty much just a star vehicle for Cary Grant who plays Mr. Christian, but the roles of good guy (Mr. Christian) and bad guy (Captain Bligh) are reversed from the book, since the book is actually Bligh's diary of the incident.  

"A Quiet Place" - Yes I finally saw this one the other day after being told it was pretty good.  And it was.  This one made me jump several times, and that doesn't happen often.  Very tense, you care about the characters, great premise, though probably not that original as far as an idea, it's still very well done.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 12:07

The Death of Stalin 2017

Not a recent watch, but I remember it as one of the great farces I have seen.
Stellar cast/performance/cinematography.

Edited by JD - January 30 2021 at 14:27
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 13:40
I'm not much of a film watcher except occasionally going to our (relatively) local Arthouse cinema (not for some time, obviously..Cry) and the last film i saw which i really enjoyed was Mark Jenkins 'Bait' (2019) and i am looking forward to his next, Enys Men which hopefully being filmed now/ very soon.

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 08:28
If you like Maren Ade, check out "The Forest For the Trees".. I was disappointed with "Toni Erdmann" despite a great beginning.

A few days ago, I saw "Ditte, Child of Man" a Danish film from 1946, very "natural".. 7/10

I re-watched "Lord of the Flies" - 7.5/10
Another reason Google sucks. When you type in the movie, you get some sh*tty re-make. Respect the original, even if it isn't as good (which has never been the case).

I have seen this movie before, and after noticing it would be appearing on TCM, I decided it would be a good idea to see it again, since it has been a handful of years since initially viewing this.

I'm wont to like movies with simple stories, but encompass society. The movie is very political/social.

There are two groups that appear shortly after the movie begins. They realize they are stranded, but think "We'll survive, we're English" and mention democracy and have a vote on how to operate. The choir boys (initially dressed in black robes) are led by Jack (who I will call "Group #2"), but Ralph is elected as Chief (who I will call "Group #1"). They decide to have meetings to decide on how they are structured, and future decisions, using the conch shell for communication; to call out, and to hold as if it were a microphone and to have some order, with everyone else is silent while the one who holds the conch is listened to before further discussion takes place.

When Group #2 comes with the dead pig, Ralph looks a little defeated that it had nothing to do with his leadership and just sits and watches until one of the younger kids brings Ralph a big piece of pork (sounds like politics, eh?).

Jack who is the de-facto leader in part because he has a knife, kills a pig and they finally have something substantial to eat. Jack has the other choir boys responsible for keeping the fire going, but they become negligent and the passing aeroplane does not notice because the smoke has dissipated.

A nice young lad is told "Damn you for being weak", and like any society, those who aren't "useful" will not enjoy the benefits others have, enabling a caste system.

Jack seems emboldened after his bloodthirsty expedition, and breaks away by telling the others, "MY hunters will protect you from the beast, which could be a ghost" after one boy looks around and sees nothing after Piggy claims a giant squid could never come on land, to which Jack can only reply with "Who cares what you think, Fatty?" and smashes one of Piggy's spectacles, making him half-blind. Jack goes on and on about this mysterious "beast" - the age of misinformation and religion - having an answer to consolidate power by having a solution for something unknown, something that doesn't exist, but the boys are gullible, just like many who fall prey to superstition. Even on the hunt, the boys use face paint as if they were native warriors. Ralph even sticks the head of the dead animal on a stick as a tribute to the gods.

During a meeting, Ralph talks about rules, and Jack quickly interjects with "We hunt, who cares about the rules?" and mentions how Piggy can't do anything, with Ralph yelling back wondering how a boy with one-eye can do anything. Welfare. Not all people are equal, and to this day, it's a constant argument between the haves and have-not and what is fair when it comes to the distribution of scarce necessities. Piggy is subsequently told by Ralph to watch the little ones, and with some intelligence and imagination, Piggy tells the boys stories to keep them occupied. Even during the most dire moments and circumstances, entertainment is always necessary to function normally.

When Ralph is alone with Piggy, he says he should quit, after it seems he has lost his power. Despite Ralph telling the others in the beginning of Piggy's nickname after being told to keep it a secret, Piggy urges Ralph to keep going as leader, probably because he is defenseless and being closer to the chief is for his own survival.

As an aside, one boy says aloud, "Grown-ups would have tea, discuss, and everything would be all right" as if the mere fact being over a certain age were to solve every problem, including theirs, man vs. nature and man vs. man.

At night, a boy sees a dead pilot but as he tries to tell Group #2, they figure (in their frenzy) it must be the beast, and instead kill him, developing the swarming behavior not unlike some who stormed The US Capitol on January 6th. Ralph is troubled and calls it murder, while Piggy tries to ignore the fact and quickly changing the subject, but scared of even using the word "murder" and attributing it to an accident.

Even though both sides need each other, Jack challenges the power of Ralph and anyone else with comments like "Who says so?" and how "My tribe does what I want".

Group #2 steals Piggy's glasses, and when Piggy takes the conch, the hunters disregard the rules, and one of the wicked hunters rolls a boulder from a hill that kills Piggy, whose body washes away into the ocean, which only leaves Ralph, who is being pursued by the others, until he stumbles upon the feet of a man who is part of the rescue crew.

It's important that the characters are all children - who have yet to be conditioned by the adult society - because they are more prone to behave by instinct, instead of influence. I never saw the re-make of this movie, but it would have been an interesting sociological experiment to survey the disparity in behavior had the children been younger, and perhaps less interested in ego, but perhaps with other problems, such as further immaturity and co-operation.

It might have been a nice idea (maybe as an epilogue or the introduction) to show the children as they were before this incident, and to show how certain events can change a person. We certainly see less division and more uniting initially before the groups become more fractured.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 216>