Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 185186187188189 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2021 at 06:18
^ i really liked it, it took me three viewings to finnish it but i felt like it was worth while and all rhe Fourth World tie ins and Flashpoint referances are really tempting herrings.

I really like the Wonder Woman theme, one of the best themes made i think, i also liked some of the stoner doom riffage in the battle scenes, Ben Affleck is freaking awesome as Batman, stoic as a mountain and the two scenes featuring Martian Manhunter i screemed (inwardly) like a teenage girl.

Edited by Icarium - March 23 2021 at 06:23
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 18:06
The Night Eats the World (2018) - 8/10  A really great and well-acted French zombie movie (in English by the way) with very little dialog.  Anders Danielsen Lie is the main actor and keeps the viewer intrigued and entertained through it all, which he has to do since he is the one solo actor through most of the movie.  His character isn't always the most likable or smart person but you always end up cheering for him.  I wonder how many of us would behave much differently if it happened in real life.  Being alone can drive you mad.  It's quite an interesting slant on the zombie genre.  Highly recommended.

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 18:33
I've watched about 15 more movies after I last posted here. Most are 7/10 movies; as real surprises are rare in life and I recently prefer not to take the risk of watching movies with low ratings, out of which may come amazing movies but with paying a bitter price: having to watch some real garbage till you meet a misunderstood or underrated gem...

One of those gems was Koko-di koko-da (Sweden/Denmark). A 10/10 movie for me. But together with it, there came some really awful "art movies" in the package; so till my next emotional phase, I'll watch the types of movies which I most likely will enjoy but not be blown away. Like I enjoyed watching Life (2017) a couple of days ago and As Above, So Below (2014), around a day ago.

Edited by Shadowyzard - March 30 2021 at 18:53
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2021 at 22:53
Austin Powers (1997) - Great fun when you're in the right mood. Will have to see the sequels again soon. 

Tetsuo II: Body Hammer (1992) - While it certainly has its flaws in many departments, director's manic surreal visionary obsession carries the film. 

You, the Living (2007) - One of the better things I've seen since ages. More surrealism here and delightfully bleak yet humane comedy. 

Ratatouille (2007) - I watched this with my 8-year old and we both had excellent time. Superb animation and lots of action and fun. If you're into fine dining and French cuisine (I'm not), I'm sure there's still another level to enjoy. 

Frankenweenie (2012) - Watched this one with the kid, too, and with same results. Also superb animation, but in a different way. More references to old horror movies than you can count. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 05:48
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Impostor (2001). Well, I'm almost positive that Philip K. Dick's short story is impressive (the plot seemingly would easily and seamlessly fit to the short story format), but I cannot say the same thing for its movie adaptation. First of all, it is not sci-fi enough. It didn't make me feel like I'm in an "alien" world (space and time). Secondly, too much action is seen throughout and too much protagonist-centrism. I liked the ending, but it didn't worth spending/wasting around an hour and a half. Some say that it is better than Minority Report, and to that I sarcastically disagree.

6.5/10

I just watched this two weeks ago and completely agree with your assessment.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 03:32
Mission Impossible Fall Out . Big dumb action movie with Tom Cruise squeezing out every last ounce he can out of the tired formula. Its basically very expensive moving wallpaper with big set piece action scenes in London , Paris and Kashmir. No sense of style or of the ridiculous. At least Bond normally has a decent baddie. Sean Harris is criminally underused in that role (pun intended) as Cruise hugs as much of the screen as possible. 4/10

Run . Just come onto Netflix. Fairly standard thriller set up and no great surprises but still manages to crank up a certain amount of tension. Won't say too much (spoilers) but Sarah Paulsen is good 'fun' as always. 7/10
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 06:27
The Father 2021 (Anthony Hopkins)

A 93 minute insight into the ravages of dementia. Certainly well acted and maybe an Oscar vehicle for Hopkins.
I'm glad they kept it brief and didn't drag it out too much.

6/10...maybe a 7/10.

Edited by JD - April 05 2021 at 06:27
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 14:28
Shadowbuilder (1998) - A perfect 90s' horror film of a high calibre like Wishmaster and Warlock. 10/10 for me. How have I missed it till today?.. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 15:26
One Point O (2004) - The story of a f**ked up man, like the guy in The Machinist (from the same year, 2004). One can see it as a anti-consumerism movie of a conspiracy theory based sort, too. Interesting cast, some "Wow!" references, good acting, haunting atmosphere; but without any intriguing plot. 7/10

Night Watch (2004) & Day Watch (2006) - Well, not very impressive but some really cool scenes here and there. 6/10 (for each)

Loft (2008) - A very well done film, but not exactly my type. 6/10

El secreto de sus ojos (2009) - I really couldn't understand the point of this movie. Almost garbage, for me. 4/10

Edited by Shadowyzard - April 11 2021 at 15:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 17:35
Sleuth (1972) - Excellent movie. I haven't seen the original play from which it was adapted, yet I'm positive that this shows the merits of a deserving adaptation. Always a delight to watch the great Michael Caine, even more so in such delicate movies. I'm not a movie watcher who always (or regularly) tries to "predict" what will happen, but I effortlessly and unintentionally guessed most of the events before happening. An obvious "dramatic irony" (at least from my perception) was prevalent for a long time, in the film. Funny that Mr Caine had to "play games" with some idiosyncratic persons with dark(ish) skin, again. As in The Magus (1968). Apart from the wondrous entertainment it granted, I also appreciated the undertones of the movie (play). I'll not mention these, or the obvious themes -some of which are really powerful- lest they be spoilers for those who are interested to watch the movie. A 9/10, from me. Perhaps even a 10/10.

Edited by Shadowyzard - April 14 2021 at 17:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 14:23
La migliore offerta (2013) - A slow burner (I hate to have to use this term), but one of the most powerful movies that I've ever watched. 10/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 13:49
Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - I don't very much care about the politically driven motives in far more than some American movies, nor do I normally enjoy action-packed films that much. But notwithstanding, this was a terrific movie. There was a "critical" moment when the military commander (of the "good" (?) guys) could make a wise decision and they could easily win the war much earlier, but I'm not surprised he couldn't think of it. On that occasion, it wouldn't be a "movie worthy" plot. Also Tom Cruise = Mission Impossible. Wink Anyhow: 8.5/10
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2021 at 08:40
The Thursday (1964)
7.5/10

Within minutes, I knew this had to be Dino Risi; it was very similar to "Il Sorpasso", not as great, but maybe a bit more tender, since the two main characters are father and son, who haven't seen each other in five years. Light-hearted, but not corny or dumb. Even funny at times. The father played by Walter Chiari is a very good actor, especially in this comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 06:22
the Dark Knight 2008 Directed by Christopher Nolan

I'm old enough to remember markets, models, conductors, computers, stars, glue and furry animals, so can't say I ever got super excited about the superhero genre. For me, a masked 'goodie' rescuing us from our own impotence in the face of overwhelming anomie is really just a firefighter for the cremation casket. That said, this is entertainment, not Bruce Wayne in therapy and in that regard it succeeds. Heath Ledger's posthumous Oscar for best supporting actor was clearly apropos but frankly baffling and has tended to overshadow some of the other more deserving performances on show re Gary Oldman's Police Commissioner Gordon as a brilliant and understated portrayal of a man who stands up to the prevailing corruption all around him with a quiet dignity that never descends into woke virtue signalling. In stark contrast, the easier role of Ledger's Joker (who never has to suspend disbelief and convince us he's real) is a Tom Waits intoning as Robert Smith with ADD toddler as makeup artist. This is a hugely engaging performance certainly but strictly panto villain theatrics under the corpse paint all told. Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne comes across as a smarmy playboy with a face like a David Beckham delivery i.e. begging to be attacked (and why does he disguise his voice 'in cossie' when speaking alone to people who already know he's Bruce Wayne?) Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman do what they both do in their well earned walking sleep as Batman's erm...batman and armorer respectively. Aaron Eckhart alas, fails to convince as either 'new broom' DA or hideously disfigured vengeful turncoat 'baddie' but his makeup is pretty cool in a nod to Sam Raimi's Evil Dead. Enjoyably silly, unashamedly escapist and brilliantly made, the Dark Knight is decent but hardly worthy of being described as 'one of the best films of the decade' or 'the best Superhero film of all time'.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 01:18
Taxidermia - surreal, gross and pitch black comedy that can only have come from Eastern Europe. 
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 07:40
Mortal Kombat - Exactly what you'd expect. Good fight scenes, no story.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 01:17
Sabata - spaghetti western from the more entertaining end of the genre. It's funny how the film mocks the main villain's superhuman philosophy while presenting the hero as a typical superhuman western hero character. 
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2021 at 01:37
Screwed - latter day film by veteran exploitation director Teruo Ishii, based on a comic by Yoshiharu Tsuge. Already with opening credits you know you're in for something different. The actual film begins as a bleak art drama, but turns more and more disjointed, dream/nightmare-like, surreal and perverted as it progresses. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 06:46
Army of the Dead (2021)

Zombie movies are never high on my list of movies to watch, more of a time killer if I don't want to be too emotionally or intellectually invested in a movie. There are a few that I've enjoyed...but just a few.
This is NOT one of them. This effort by Zack Snyder isn't even redeemable if he did his 4 hour directors cut magic on it.
Let's make something clear form the start...zombies don't have emotions, they don't fall in love and they don't grieve. Ant attempt to make a zombie a sympathetic character is totally absurd. Will Smith's I Am Legend proved that, but apparently Zack was out that day.
The poor attempt to bring emotional connection with any of these characters sinks this movie to B or even C movie status. No satisfying resolution to the ending and a complete waste of the talents of Tig Notaro with useless sarcasm dialogue makes me wonder what the hell happened here?
Lastly, a 2-1/2 hour run time for a zombie movie? Really?
Don't waste your time.
3/10
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 14:20
The Trial of the Chicago 7 2020
A fantastic retelling of a late 60's court case with the Nixon administration vs the freedom of the people.
I was only 10 when this originally took place so I don't have any recollection of details about this case but certainly remember the era and what was 'generally' on the news at the time.
9/10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 185186187188189 216>