Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 196197198199200 216>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2022 at 22:55
Spencer

It's been a very courtly period in film and TV between The Crown, Bridgerton, and now this fictionalized & microscopic account of Lady Diana later in her life while the catastrophic reality of being a royal had begun affecting her mental health.   Up close and personal, Spencer is perhaps a bit too intimate, largely biased, and without doubt strictly from Diana's tortured perspective.   What we get is a painful, somewhat warped fable about a life that was neither real nor false, and a cautionary tale about desiring a fairy princess existence.

Edited by Atavachron - January 22 2022 at 23:04
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 04:50
Spider-Man: No Way Home 2021
(Action/Comic)
Tom Holland & Co.

Not a bad third movie in the trilogy. A fitting introduction to the Multiverse and a few worthy guest villans to boot. No Oscars coming here, just lot's of popcorn !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 11:38
Greenland (2020)

Another one of those end-of-the-world films where some celestial object is going to crash into the Earth (this time an interstellar comet broken apart into hundreds of pieces). Probably the most notable member of the cast is Morena Baccarin (of Firefly fame). The story is mostly about a family struggling to get to a bunker built at a U.S. military base in Greenland designed to withstand a nuclear war. I'm a bit critical on the science used in this film, but won't go into it due to spoilers. The family dynamics and the struggles they are dealing with may seem over the top at times, but I feel Baccarin and Gerard Butler do a fairly nice job in their roles. I like this one better than Deep Impact and Armageddon. Overall I would give this 7.5/10, maybe even 8/10.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 14:12
The Call of Cthulhu (2005 - US): One of the better known Lovecraft adaptations. I "tried" to watch this once, around the time it was out. But, I was dead drunk and fell asleep halfway through. If my memory serves right. A fine adaptation, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. Now, there are only 2 HPL adaptations left, that I really want to see. Both are Italian movies. 7/10
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 13:58
Sorry to Bother You (2018)

One of the more bizarre films I've watched in recent months. This is about a black telemarketer that develops a "white voice" to succeed at his job and is given the opportunity to climb the corporate ladder but at great sacrifice to his loyalties to his co-workers who are organizing a labor union and his girlfriend. The movie gets more and more bizarre as he discovers his boss is making horse people to replace the labor force and eventually comes to the realization that there are more important things to life then power and money. A nicely done surreal satire/black comedy on corporate power/poorly-treated worker relationships and the dark side of capitalism that has many parallels in American society. Fans of Gilliam's Brazil might like this. 8/10

Edited by progaardvark - January 24 2022 at 13:58
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 14:03
Revelation (2001 - UK): Obscurum per obscurius - As if all those conspiracy theories related to Vatican were not complicated enough...

One of the most boring movies I've ever watched. The ending was VERY INTERESTING though. Its sequel could have been marvellous. 4.5/10
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2022 at 14:15
Encounter 2021. Riz Ahmed stars and he's one of my favourite actors (The Night Of was tremendous). From imdb: A Marine Corps veteran suffering from PTSD takes his kids from California to Groom Lake, Nevada. He tells his children that alien parasites have landed on Earth to take over the planet.

It's not what you'd think from that summary and it heads in an unexpected way. Really well acted too and the young boys playing the brothers were excellent. 8/10
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 12:25
The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship (1991 - UK): Magical Russian tale, fantastic stop motion animation film. 9/10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 13:12
Sorry for being off-topic; you can see the image in its real size by opening in new tab/window:

FJ5-J-e6-XEAk-QIpa

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 25 2022 at 13:14
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 02:06
Son of Frankenstein
Son.. was easily the best of the bunch. Many of the sets were heavily influenced by early expressionist cinema. 
Ghost... was just stupid, but Bela Lugosi's acting was delightfully demented. 
House... threw Dracula and Wolf Man into the mix and much silliness ensued. Trash cinema for the refined taste, I enjoyed it. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 13:17
The Eternals.....Disney Plus 2021...

Another one in the Marvel franchise about  beings created by 'The Celestials' to do their bidding on various planets (this time earth)...allegedly to help people. Each Elemental has a different superpower. 
The production and effects are fine but the story and action is less than stellar....and it's too long. 
Angelina Jolie phoned in her part and is wasted in this minor Marvel entry.
5/10

Edited by dr wu23 - January 26 2022 at 13:18
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2022 at 14:56
Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
(asian/chopsocky)
7/10

From IMDB
Shanghai China in the 1940s, a wannabe gangster aspires to join the notorious "Axe Gang" while residents of a housing complex exhibit extraordinary powers in defending their turf

An enjoyable watch. Perfect for a cold or rainy Saturday afternoon. The characters are real characters in traditional chopsocky style. No better facial expressions in all of cinema.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 11:30
Licorice Pizza by Paul Thomas Anderson (2021)
Rather disappointing actually, especially compared to the masterpieces he's made before. A basic love story that he tries to make extraordinary, but the treatment is not enough going over-the-top, or just too much, to make it (in)credible and/or sufficiently entertaining throughout. Not bad, but there's much lacking of his special treatment that he gave to his earlier films. Is it because the actors are not of the same caliber as a Daniel Day-Lewis or a Philip Seymour Hoffman or a Julianne Moore...? Maybe. I'm not convinced by this film.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 13:33
Spiderman: Homecoming

The thing is you can only take a teenage guy in a funny suit who hangs-out in Manhattan so far before you realize how uncompelling the character is.   Add to that the superior Andrew Garfield version of Peter Parker and this one left me flat.   Tom Holland does a great job with his overzealous Parker still struggling with being an actual superhero and puppy-dogging Tony Stark to be a full-fledged Avenger, but there's only so much interest the characters can generate, despite another excellent performance from Michael Keaton as the Vulture.   Not a bad movie, but after so many iterations the Webslinger franchise has become the Groundhog Day of comic book flicks.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2022 at 16:25
OXV: The Manual (2013 - Australia/UK): Also known as Frequencies... this was overall an intelligent movie. Moderately thought-provoking (mind you, this is a good asset for me), but quite fun and interesting. Some dialogues and lines were excellent, whilst some were verging upon the boundaries of intolerability. Better than I had expected before I began to watch it, but slightly worse than I anticipated after watching about its half.

A valuable addition to the alternate reality/world movies.  8/10
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 03:03
Hammett - absolutely brilliant mystery/crime/detective film in every way. Superb actors and great atmosphere. 

Fahrenheit 451 - classic dystopia. Love the 60s futurism. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 04:15
Madres paralelas (Parallel Mothers), Pedro Almodóvar (2021)
Saw this one already in December, and it is worth mentioning here... If you like the films of Almodóvar then don't hesitate to watch this one. It has maybe not the strength of Volver, Hable con ella or Todo sobre mi madre, to name just these, but it is a great film. As always, the cast and actor direction are very solid. Another splendid role by Penelope Cruz, this time accompanied by the as much convincing Milena Smit, and several solid second roles. The script might look a bit "artificial", combining the story of mistakenly exchanged babies with the Franquist history of Spain, in the hands of Almodóvar it becomes a convincing film. Recommended.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 04:41
Don't Look Up 2021.

Much hyped 'satire' on the media and modern day trash news broadcasting. A couple of scientists played by Leonardo De Caprio and Jennifer Lawrence try to convince the world that a large comet is heading for planet earth. Meryl Streep plays a truly useless US president (no prizes for guessing who its based on) and Cate Blanchett is a hoot as an empty headed blonde news presenter. Best performance though comes in the shape a skin crawling portrayal of a tech billionaire by Mark Rylance (surely some Oscar recognition to come).
I found it often funny and well made. Solid easy to watch comedy. 7/10

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 04:53
The Guilty 2021

Another Netflix movie , this one starring Jake Gyllenhaal as a 911 police operator who has to deal with an abduction of a women by her partner (voiced by Peter Sargaard although you never see him) . I do like a lot of a Gyllenhaal films (including of course classic cult film Donnie Darko) and this one doesn't let down. Great performance from Gyllenhaal and the story is more interesting than I expected rising it above the 'popcorn movie' that it might otherwise just have been. Another plus for me is that it runs to 90 minutes only but that all is needed (other film makers take note!) 9/10
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 05:05
^ Ah, this must be a remake of the original Danish film with the same (international) title, directed by Gustav Möller. I haven't seen this remake, but the original is really a minor masterpiece, imposing itself the challenge of letting the story develop almost completely within the room of the police phone operator... Curious to see this new version, but I guess it is just the US version of a film that really didn't need a remake.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 196197198199200 216>