Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Martin Turner's Wishbone ash to re-record Argus
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMartin Turner's Wishbone ash to re-record Argus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 04:51
Originally posted by Marc M Marc M wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Just thought I re-specify that Downes will not add more KBs than there was on the original album. He'll only the Tout interventions on the one track.
  BTW, I read this on the latest Classy Crock (the first issue I bought since fall last year.
Hi,
I don't see this as a very good idea either. The album "Argus" was prefect as it was.
Martin Turner had done a good job remastering it (although the intro to "Time was" was maybe really too loud compared to the rest, he missed the contrast there).

I wonder what John Wetton will do ? He replaced Turner as bassit and jnot even singer. Maybe now he'll help him sing some parts.. I think it's needed, without Ted Turner and Andy Powell to sing the harmonies

John Tout played organ on Throw Down The Sword, not Blowin' Free.
I remember that Andy played a very nice guitar solo at the end of "Ashes Are Burning" from Renaissance, in 73, to thank them.

Marc

effectively I wonder what Wetton will do. G=he can double up on vocals, but I doubt Turner will leave him bass spot.

Soory for Trow Down The Sword(I stand corrected)

As for the two instrumental album of the late 80's, I fully agree with James (Salmacis)......  they're best forgotten....
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Raimondo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 04:54
Simple message - please don't do it. Why re-invent the wheel? Original concept un-improvable.
cedo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 10:17

What would Mike Oldfield say?

Martin & Mike could join efforts in recording of "Return to the Tubular Bells of Argus in the Centre of the Earth", with a little help from Rick Wakeman on keyboards.

HailVibrania View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 13:55
To my mind an absolute idiot,i loved the original Wishbone Ash but I am afraid that he is just hoping to make a few quid out of gullible fans,I will just keep on playing the original as I am about to do NOW
cedo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 07:28
Originally posted by cedo cedo wrote:

What would Mike Oldfield say?

Martin & Mike could join efforts in recording of "Return to the Tubular Bells of Argus in the Centre of the Earth", with a little help from Rick Wakeman on keyboards.

Addition to myself:

And of course, group name "shoulda, woulda, coulda" be Wishbone Mash.

Edited by cedo - May 21 2008 at 07:31
Raimondo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 10:03
It's just so rare that re-visits are improvements on the originals. Occasionally this happens in film where new technology helps get the point accross but to actually re-record Argus would be folly.
harmony View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 12:36

Very bad idea.  Cannot improve on perfection.  For the record, Nouveau Calls was a instrumental album and Here To Hear was not.  Nouveau Calls was a huge disappointment for me.  I was hoping for The Pilgrim, FUBB etc. and instead I got TV theme music.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 19:55
Stern%20Smile I really have no problem with this -- while I wouldn't rush out to buy the new version, I would be curious to hear it.

No offense, please, but I don't quite understand the depth of bitterness and negativity being voiced toward the idea by many here. (Other than the fact that -- as I've long observed here -- many prog fans are rather fanatical, and almost obsessive toward "their" music, elevating it far above "mere" rock or pop, into something almost sacred or classical. In that sense, many progholes can be similar to some snooty jazz or classical fans and "purists.")

Here's my thinking on the matter:

1. We'll always have the original Argus -- no new recording is going to affect my copy of that classic, fantastic album.

2. Other rock classics & popular albums have been re-worked before, and never, as far as I could tell, to the detriment or 'overshadowing' of the originals. examples that come to mind are Tubular Bells (orchestral), Jesus Christ Superstar and Tommy (movie soundtrack versions), The Wall, etc. Sometimes the results are interesting, though mostly, they fail to achieve the impact of the originals.

3. Argus has near-mythic status in classic rock/prog circles (in a somewhat "cultish" fashion). Most longterm fans will ignore the new version, and are free to do so, but a few more open-minded types (like me) will want to check it out, just out of curiosity, to see how different musicians, and newer technology, impact upon the music.

4. The "kids" who don't know WA or the original album won't suddenly "latch on" to this new version by a bunch of aging rockers they've never heard of. Why would they? Does anyone really imagine it's suddenly going to swamp the commercial airwaves -- or that today's kids pay much attention to radio in the first place? Do you really think "new" fans of the new album will descend on us here, unaware of the original, or arrogantly announcing the new one to be superior?

So, what are you all so worried about? Haven't Beatles songs been covered by nearly everyone, but aren't the originals still, by far, the best and best known? Doesn't classical music get re-recorded and re-interpreted, with different 'bands' (orchestras and ensembles) again and again? Don't bands put out live versions of popular, often much older, material? What's the big difference, or "danger' here? Why so much concern? No one's going to come into your house, take your old, original Argus away from you and substitute the new one, or force you to even LISTEN to (let alone buy) the new one!

It could be interesting. Would you not want to see the new band perform the old material in a club? What's the big deal with recording it? Confused

Edited by Peter - May 21 2008 at 21:13
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12