Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles or the Rolling Stones ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: B or RS
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
40 [78.43%]
11 [21.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 23:00
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

1.  This isn't in the right section.
2.  Please try to keep the flaming to a minimum.

Thanks.

With all due apologies, this is the correct section as we are asked to choose between the good boys and the bad boys.Confused 

I have no idea what you are talking about.  This poll was placed in Prog Polls, but neither of these bands are prog bands.  It is therefore in the wrong forum.  This was directed not at you, but at the creator of the thread.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 03:47
Beatles and Stones had a hate/love relationship. Perhaps it all started when The Beatles gave 2 minutes of their time and wrote "I wanna be your man" on the spot and gave it to the Sones, Lennon keeping it simple so that the Stones were able to perform it. He later gathered that even Ringo could sing it better and recorded it for "With The Beatles". Hillarious, really.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 03:48
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I don't much care for either, but The Beatles had talent and songwriting skill.  And influence.

What about the Stones?  Um...booze?  Did you catch Mick Jagger's halftime performance during the Super Bowl a few years back?

The Stones had talent, songwriting skill, and influence as well.  Also you shouldn't base your hatred of the Stones on a terrible super bowl performance when they are at a very old age.  I mean if thats the case of basis the Beatles must SUCK a great deal.  Look at all the garbage Paul has been putting out since 1970! You would think having worked with George and George, and John for several years, and practicing for over 4 decades, you would be able to write good songs. 

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Talk of no contest. One of the main reasons I have loved prog is my profound 40 year distaste for the Stones , a group of thugs, profiteers and non-musicians (I repeat NON-MUSICIANS)  that cater to ultra primitive innuendoes that aren't even clever.

disregard my earlier PM LOLLOLLOLWink

Stones, Non-Musicians? Yet the only considered "musician" in the Beatles was Paul. 

Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

Oh The Beatles, a band that was heavily groomed much like the Monkees were. I think much of what the Beatles allegedly wrote was way over their heads considering they started out as a basic blues band and then out of no where they started spinning out hit after hit. They did not even own the rights to 'their' music. The music was owned by a fellow by the name of Theodor Adorno who was incidentally a composer by the way. Paul McCartney had the chance to buy the music but Michael Jackson out bided him for it. I don't know about you, but if I was the composer of my music and someone else owned the rights to that music, I would do anything in my power to get it back unless of course I never wrote the music in the first place......Stern%20Smile

That leaves the Stones then.

The Beatles WERE "groomed" when after they had formed and written some tunes that were obviously enjoyed by several people, as to make them more marketable.  They were no where near the level of "groomed" as the Monkees. 

Yes they started as a simple rock and roll group playing some of their original songs, and a good amount of covers, yet over time they developed into an incredible, artistic group.  The transition can be heard from their first, to their last album.  I'd say they knew what they were doing,  but they did indeed receive help and advice from George Martin, Geoff Emerick, and the other closely related people.  (Remember the Stones also started as an R&B cover group before writing their own songs and eventual masterpieces).

I guess its fair to base your opinion of the Beatles on completely bogus conspiracy theories.  However, there is more true information in the following quote:

"In 1963 Lennon and McCartney agreed to assign their song publishing rights to Northern Songs, a company created by music publisher Dick James. The company was administered by James' own company Dick James Music. Northern Songs went public in 1965, with Lennon and McCartney each holding 15% of the company's shares Dick James and the company's chairman, Charles Silver, held a controlling 37.5%. In 1969, following a failed attempt by Lennon and McCartney to buy the company, James and Silver sold Northern Songs to British TV company Associated TeleVision (ATV), from which Lennon and McCartney received stock.

In 1985, after a short period in which the parent company was owned by Australian business magnate Robert Holmes ŕ Court, ATV Music was sold to Michael Jackson for a reported $47 million (trumping a joint bid by McCartney and Yoko Ono), including the publishing rights to over 200 songs composed by Lennon and McCartney."

In any case, I love both these bands.  They all have their own great history, songs, albums, etc.  In the end, I find myself going back to the Stones more and more.  I'm quite surprised by the amount of Stones hate on the forums, but I guess it happens. 

Between 1964 and 1972 the Stones created great albums.  Some were obviously better than others, but all were still great (yes even the Sgt. Peppers inspired Their Satanic Majesties...). Following Exile on Main Street the stones started falling apart, but they still managed to produce good albums like Goat's Head Soup, the uneven Its Only Rock and Roll, the interesting Jamming with Edward, Black and Blue, Some Girls, and their last mostly good album Emotional Rescue. 

I really don't see the need for bickering about these two great bands.

Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 04:42

Voted for the Stones. Not that it matters much with all the easy listeners on here. So effortlessly cool
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 04:42
The Rolling Stones.
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 01:14

Oh The Beatles, a band that was heavily groomed much like the Monkees were. I think much of what the Beatles allegedly wrote was way over their heads considering they started out as a basic blues band and then out of no where they started spinning out hit after hit. They did not even own the rights to 'their' music. The music was owned by a fellow by the name of Theodor Adorno who was incidentally a composer by the way. Paul McCartney had the chance to buy the music but Michael Jackson out bided him for it. I don't know about you, but if I was the composer of my music and someone else owned the rights to that music, I would do anything in my power to get it back unless of course I never wrote the music in the first place......Stern%20Smile

The Beatles WERE "groomed" when after they had formed and written some tunes that were obviously enjoyed by several people, as to make them more marketable.  They were no where near the level of "groomed" as the Monkees. 

Yes they started as a simple rock and roll group playing some of their original songs, and a good amount of covers, yet over time they developed into an incredible, artistic group.  The transition can be heard from their first, to their last album.  I'd say they knew what they were doing,  but they did indeed receive help and advice from George Martin, Geoff Emerick, and the other closely related people.  (Remember the Stones also started as an R&B cover group before writing their own songs and eventual masterpieces).

I guess its fair to base your opinion of the Beatles on completely bogus conspiracy theories.  However, there is more true information in the following quote:

"In 1963 Lennon and McCartney agreed to assign their song publishing rights to Northern Songs, a company created by music publisher Dick James. The company was administered by James' own company Dick James Music. Northern Songs went public in 1965, with Lennon and McCartney each holding 15% of the company's shares Dick James and the company's chairman, Charles Silver, held a controlling 37.5%. In 1969, following a failed attempt by Lennon and McCartney to buy the company, James and Silver sold Northern Songs to British TV company Associated TeleVision (ATV), from which Lennon and McCartney received stock.

In 1985, after a short period in which the parent company was owned by Australian business magnate Robert Holmes ŕ Court, ATV Music was sold to Michael Jackson for a reported $47 million (trumping a joint bid by McCartney and Yoko Ono), including the publishing rights to over 200 songs composed by Lennon and McCartney."

In any case, I love both these bands.  They all have their own great history, songs, albums, etc.  In the end, I find myself going back to the Stones more and more.  I'm quite surprised by the amount of Stones hate on the forums, but I guess it happens. 

Between 1964 and 1972 the Stones created great albums.  Some were obviously better than others, but all were still great (yes even the Sgt. Peppers inspired Their Satanic Majesties...). Following Exile on Main Street the stones started falling apart, but they still managed to produce good albums like Goat's Head Soup, the uneven Its Only Rock and Roll, the interesting Jamming with Edward, Black and Blue, Some Girls, and their last mostly good album Emotional Rescue. 

I really don't see the need for bickering about these two great bands.
[/QUOTE]

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 01:21
I only like one Rolling Stones album, but Their Satanic Majestoies Request is IMO better than anything The Beatles did except Abbey Road.

Well, at least from my perpective.

Iván

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 02:08
as phenomenal as the Fab Four were, the Stones stayed a real band that were able to jam and recreate their material quite well   ..see The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, also featuring Lennon

zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 05:15

yea, very interresting. thanks, that gived to me an idea for one  Nuke  poll!
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 07:13

I don't agree with the bunch of ya saying The Stones had no talent, that certainly isn't true. They were a solid rock n roll band, Keith knows his riffs man. Let it Bleed, Beggers Banquet, Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers are all solid albums.

That being said, I do think The Rolling Stones are insanely overrated. And The Beatles are tied with Pink Floyd for my favorite band. So its gotta be The Beatles.

Edited by boo boo - May 21 2008 at 07:16
spookytooth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 07:16
I love the Beatles a lot, but over the years I've started to like the Rolling Stones better. Albums like Beggars Banquet, Stick Fingers and Let it Bleed are among my favorite albums ever.

Would you like some Bailey's?
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 11:51
I love both bands ca. 65-70 (or for RS: 72), but if I had to choose between a McCartney or Stones concert now I'd defenetly choose the latter. All in all most fab four post Beatles-stuff are just as uneven/pointless as what Stones have been releasing for the last 35 years.

Mick Jagger's a fantastic vocalist and a frontman. Anyone seen him in Nic Roeg's Performance

So Stones for me.

Edited by Rocktopus - May 21 2008 at 11:58
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 15:01

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  What a ridiculous, good read.
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 22:30
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

are you sure?Wink
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 23:51

are you sure?Wink

So very sure.  Dr. John Coleman seems to be confused with his "information" in terms of it being factual, intelligent, and with its placement in time.  It is also said that the Rolling Stones were also players in the little....whatever you want to call that rubbish..Big%20smile
alanerc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 00:14

1.  This isn't in the right section.
2.  Please try to keep the flaming to a minimum.

Thanks.

With all due apologies, this is the correct section as we are asked to choose between the good boys and the bad boys.Confused 

I have no idea what you are talking about.  This poll was placed in Prog Polls, but neither of these bands are prog bands.  It is therefore in the wrong forum.  This was directed not at you, but at the creator of the thread.

well, what are you waiting to move it to the right section?
alanerc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 00:17

Talk of no contest. One of the main reasons I have loved prog is my profound 40 year distaste for the Stones , a group of thugs, profiteers and non-musicians (I repeat NON-MUSICIANS)  that cater to ultra primitive innuendoes that aren't even clever. Ape music and that is not even kind to monkeys (: They even had a song about themselves) Their last decent album was with Brian Jones (but they drowned him!) . Yuck , extremely overated , basic garbage . Even as a rock band , they suck stones. Gall bladder pain.I could go on for years with facts to back my disdain . Oh well!  SleepyCensoredPig
The Beatles on the other hand, exactly the polar opposite.

Your f**king kidding?
how can you say that the stones are non.musicians ?!?!?!
and also primitive?
well... you can stay in ypur little world of selfishness listening "REAL" musicans all day
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 00:58

are you sure?Wink

So very sure.  Dr. John Coleman seems to be confused with his "information" in terms of it being factual, intelligent, and with its placement in time.  It is also said that the Rolling Stones were also players in the little....whatever you want to call that rubbish..Big%20smile

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident. -- Arthur Schopenhauer 1788-1860
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 03:07
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Mick Jagger's a fantastic vocalist and a frontman. Anyone seen him in Nic Roeg's Performance

agreed, one of the best, his solo stuff is great too

Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 10:43

Love em both of course, never understod why you have to shoose between em both made loades of great music. I culdent say you can ever get tierd of ither but the last year i been lisenting more to the stones so they get my vote, and anyone who slam the stones yust show the only thing that sucks is hes music tast. Or let me put it this way if you dont like RS you dont like rock n roll.

Edited by Zargus - May 22 2008 at 11:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>