Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelloween (half-serious)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helloween (half-serious)
    Posted: May 23 2008 at 15:31
Really, weren't they as progressive as Fates Warning in the 80s? In my opinion, insofar as 80s power metal bands can have progressive qualities, they beat the crap out of Queensryche and Blind Guardian.

I don't really care if they're here at all, but should we not strive for consistency?
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2008 at 16:00
Half-serious proposal, deadly serious YES.

Power metal perhaps, but for the sake of "Chameleon" they deserve a place here.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 04:22
I'd support it too.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 04:57
I just listened to Chameleon. Ok, the album is tremendously bad, but we can't let that cloud our judgement. But please, what's progressive about it? It's an eclectic mix of genres, true. But that's about it.

A big, decisive NO from me. And about Fates Warning: They run circles around Helloween as far as progressiveness is concerned, even on their earliest albums. And about Helloween vs. Blind Guardian: They're only comparable on their early albums, From Imaginations onward they're in a totally different league.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 11:06
My fan-boy-ness for Helloween does not make me blind to Mike's very good points. I may not be familiar
with those other bands but going back and revisiting my favorite Helloween albums recently does show that
the band has prog and non-prog moments, a lot of them non-prog.

However! I would love to see them on the site and I think they have at least enough prog moments to make
Prog-Related. Some of their longer and more thought out tracks should appeal to any prog-metaller. They
may not be pure to the prog-metal genre, but they have their moments. (I think anyways Embarrassed)

As for Chameleon - It's funny because all the metal-heads I've met hate it and most (MOST) of the proggers
I know say it's the only album they like by the band LOL. Maybe it's not a prog album in whole, but it's certainly
an appealing one for people who are into that kind of "artsy" (for lack of a better term) music.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 11:35
^ but if we added Helloween as prog-related, wouldn't we really have to add every other Power Metal band as well? They all have a few epic songs ...

BTW: You're welcome to review them at Ratingfreak.com ... my own little site where you can tag artists/albums as prog as you see fit.Big%20smile
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 12:02
LOL I've been meaning to get over to that site.

As for your other comment - you're probably right, but I'm a bit biased thanks to my love for the band. I think we
need more opinions. I've heard my fair share of power metal (used to love that genre) and I think that Helloween
has a few more moments than others. Only my opinion of course
The Crow View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 12:45
I really like some power metal albums...

And of course, I think that some Helloween's efforths are amongst the best of that genre... But in my humble opinion, if Helloween are included in ProgArchives, the same should happen to Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray... Sorry, but I think this type of metal should not be in ProgArchvies, though I really love a lot of power metal albums.

The Blind Guardian case is different, in my opinion... Apart from their first three albums, their metal concept is more complex, variated, and open-minded... They make not the typical power metal, and albums like the very proggy "A Night of the Opera", really make this band worthy of being here.

But of course, this is only my point of view...

Best regards!

The Crow.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 13:22
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

LOL I've been meaning to get over to that site.

As for your other comment - you're probably right, but I'm a bit biased thanks to my love for the band. I think we
need more opinions. I've heard my fair share of power metal (used to love that genre) and I think that Helloween
has a few more moments than others. Only my opinion of course

In a way my website is the perfect solution for this ... the tagging system can be seen as a way to gather opinions about music. In this case we can all assign progressiveness levels to Helloween albums (or even tracks) and then examine the result.Smile
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 14:37
Originally posted by The Crow The Crow wrote:

The Blind Guardian case is different, in my opinion... Apart from their first three albums, their metal concept is more complex, variated, and open-minded... They make not the typical power metal, and albums like the very proggy "A Night of the Opera", really make this band worthy of being here.

I disagree there. I have not heard Night of the Opera, but I have heard Nightfall in Middle Earth, which is also cited as one of their proggy albums, but I don't really see it. In fact, I find it rather boring compared to A Twist in the Myth, though that doesn't relate to the progginess. Unless the rest of their albums are totally different, it sounds just like well-composed power metal to me.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 16:54
OK, let's  include Helloween, then we'll find they played ABBA cover, and let's include ABBA as prog-related. LOL

I think PA should not be a kind of "all inclusive" hotel.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 17:08

Personally, I think "Chameleon" is their least prog album, so probably not the best to assess them by.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 17:08
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by The Crow The Crow wrote:

I disagree there. I have not heard Night of the Opera, but I have heard Nightfall in Middle Earth, which is also cited as one of their proggy albums, but I don't really see it.

I think you might need to listen more closely and go down to the musical details ... composition, chord structures, vocal arrangements etc.. The album is really different from any other Power Metal album I know.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 17:09
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I'd support it too.

Me too. Big%20smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
 Post Reply Post Reply