Topic ClosedAD II question for the experts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: AD II question for the experts
    Posted: May 26 2008 at 10:37
Could look this up.. .but this what we have a forum for.. to ask.. and discuss.. and see who are the real experts hahahha. Wink

over the last couple of months, after a so-so first impression when I first got into the group..  AD II's album Carnival in Babylon has REALLY shot up in my appreciation and estimation.  Had never really put my finger on why.. I think my review of it explains part of it..  see it as a bridge between the early and later era's of the group..has the best of both world's if you will. Yet there was something in particular that really grabbed me about the album.. listening to it last night ..  it hit me.. it is some of the vocal harmonies on it.

Anyone here.. know of Joy Alaska .. and how she came to be on the album. Love how her voice blends in with the group.

Edited by micky - May 26 2008 at 10:40
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 10:52

I am just spinning the CD now.....no, I can't help about ''Joy Alaska''......might just be one of the girls of the AD2 ''commune'''......you know where they share everything, even musicLOL

Yes CARNIVAL IN BABYLOn is a great album, not as high as the other ones of the AD2 golden age, but still upthere in the prog pantheon....and you should be happy, your secret ''fantasm'' Renate is all over the album better than everWink

Which version of CARNIVAL have you got? mine is worthy because of the great bonus tracks SKYLIGHT and TATZELWURMLOCH reminiscent of the old musical odysseys of the past.
However WOLF CITYHeart remains my favorite

so i guess you will have to google Joy Alaska!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 10:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Anyone here.. know of Joy Alaska .. and how she came to be on the album. Love how her voice blends in with the group.

Great name...sounds like she could work in "adult entertainment" Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 10:56
I got it before the damn bonus tracks started being reissued.. I have slowly been replacing them with the ones with bonus tracks.. but this album.. having only recently become a favorite of mine was down the list.  Now it's on the top hahahha.

I do have  thing for Renate... her voice.. oh lordy HeartLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 10:58
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Great name...sounds like she could work in "adult entertainment" Wink

hahhaha.. yeah really.. .probably was one of the commune LOL
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 11:12
Joy, Alaska is a little homestead community of 5 or 6 families about 60 miles north of Fairbanks.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 11:13
Joy Alaska was a member of the Bhakti-Tautropfen Orchester. It consisted of Holger Waenecke (vocals, acoustic guitar), Joe Jenzen (acoustic 12-string guitar, vocals), Ronny Grünert (acoustic lead guitar, vocals) and Joy Alaska (vocals).
"Tautropfen" is German for "dewdrop", by the way.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 26 2008 at 11:16

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 11:14
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Joy Alaska was a member of the Bhakti-Tautropfrn Orchester. It consisted of Holger Waenecke (vocals, acoustic guitar), Joe Jenzen (acoustic 12-string guitar, vocals), Ronny Grünert (acoustic lead guitar, vocals) and Joy Alaska (vocals).
"Tautropfen" is German for "dewdrop", by the way.

I figured I could count on you for an answer..  thanks Friede. Clap
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 11:35
Well, relistening to this album, the 2 extra instrumental tracks (no Joy Alaska vocals, sorry!) ....more Yeti-ish or Tanz-ish are definitely an added bonus to the quality of the album; so get the new version: revisited records 2007, .     and the art work is great!.....Very Amon duulishTongue 
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 11:39
I forgot to add the 2 extra tracks are 9:50 mns and 17:45 mns long, it's worth a new investment, believe me!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 11:40
well I do love their instrumental excursions almost as much as Renate's voice hahahha.. thanks..  going to get that. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 05:04

Could look this up.. .but this what we have a forum for.. to ask.. and discuss.. and see who are the real experts hahahha. Wink

over the last couple of months, after a so-so first impression when I first got into the group..  AD II's album Carnival in Babylon has REALLY shot up in my appreciation and estimation.  Had never really put my finger on why.. I think my review of it explains part of it..  see it as a bridge between the early and later era's of the group..has the best of both world's if you will. Yet there was something in particular that really grabbed me about the album.. listening to it last night ..  it hit me.. it is some of the vocal harmonies on it.

I've noticed your reviews of AD II micky, and am glad you're writing them

Of the first five albums I think TDL and CIB might be the weakest, but this is personal tastes. 5i've rewritten these reviews too)

The band was in constant turmoil between the comings and goings of different members and it's a wonder how they managed anything at all.

Should you want to investigate into Amon Duul (that lefty Munich and went to join up the Kommune 1 in Berlin), try out their only real real album Psychedlic Underground, but this is sloppy and messy, sounding like Velvet Underground >> all of the others albums (except the one belowx) are taken from the same two day jam session.....

Although AD's better album is defifintely Paradiesduul's Wartz,
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 15:37
I been thinking about geting this album before, but it seemed it wasent as good as the other classics, so i been holding back from geting it but after reading this thread i feel like runing and geting it right away, or maybe more like pushing some buttons and order it since no music shops got any AD2. I realy liked Wolf city so if this is like a mix btween it and the 3 earlier ones it shuld be very sweet. Tongue

Edited by Zargus - May 27 2008 at 15:38
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 15:54
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

I been thinking about geting this album before, but it seemed it wasent as good as the other classics, so i been holding back from geting it but after reading this thread i feel like runing and geting it right away, or maybe more like pushing some buttons and order it since no music shops got any AD2. I realy liked Wolf city so if this is like a mix btween it and the 3 earlier ones it shuld be very sweet. Tongue

the album would have been a lot better if "Hawknose Harlequiin" would have had the originally intended length of 69 minutes

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 21:26
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

the album would have been a lot better if "Hawknose Harlequiin" would have had the originally intended length of 69 minutes

damn skippy sista...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 21:29
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I've noticed your reviews of AD II micky, and am glad you're writing them

Of the first five albums I think TDL and CIB might be the weakest, but this is personal tastes. 5i've rewritten these reviews too)

The band was in constant turmoil between the comings and goings of different members and it's a wonder how they managed anything at all.

Should you want to investigate into Amon Duul (that lefty Munich and went to join up the Kommune 1 in Berlin), try out their only real real album Psychedlic Underground, but this is sloppy and messy, sounding like Velvet Underground >> all of the others albums (except the one belowx) are taken from the same two day jam session.....

Although AD's better album is defifintely Paradiesduul's Wartz,

thanks Hugues.. I'm too overly critical to ever be a prolific reviewer...   Psychedelic Underground I have heard.. and that was it.  Should explore them a bit more

youllneverbe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 06:56
I really hate to duplicate albums in my collection but this might be worth it.
www.myspace.com/mewithothers
www.myspace.com/desertcitysilence
www.stfu-land.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2008 at 07:10
Originally posted by youllneverbe youllneverbe wrote:

I really hate to duplicate albums in my collection but this might be worth it.

it some cases it IS worth it...

take the VDGG album 'H to He...'  I have the 'original' still.. but Raff (my fiance) has the one with the bonus tracks.. and man alive... if you enjoy the group.. or the album.. having the expanded version is pretty much a must. 
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 19:43
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 05:26
I envy you. You have "Meetings With Men Machines - Unremarkable Heroes of the Past" by the British Amon Düül with the original cover. I only saw it once on an album fair, but my money was limited back then (ah, those student times) and I could only buy one album, so after some long and hard thinking I decided not to buy it (I already had it with the other cover) and bought "Lucky Leif and the Longships" by Robert Calvert instead.
You could do me a favour and post a bigger picture of that cover though; I really liked it. It was well fitting in with the traditional Amon Düül 2 covers.
"Hawk Meets Penguin" has a different (and worse) cover too today, but we have the better version of the cover at home. It is a real mystery what a hawk and a penguin are doing on a cemetery at night. And why are those mines with burning fuses below their places?
I even think that version of the cover should replace the current version in the archives, by the way, since it was the original one. Or at least be shown as an alternative cover.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 01 2008 at 05:42

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>