Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Featured Artist of the month
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJune 2008: CONTRARIAN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: June 2008: CONTRARIAN
    Posted: May 29 2008 at 08:08
CONTRARIAN is a New Jersey (USA) based high energy, hard driving, progressive rock band founded in 2007. After years of playing in various cover bands on the greater New Jersey bar and club circuit multi-instrumentalist Tim Boney and vocalist Joe Leming recorded "Minor Complexities" as their 12 song debut album. They formed the band CONTRARIAN in 2007 following the album's release.

Their music is distilled from their many progressive rock and hard rock influences. From these influences they have crafted their own powerful and engaging sound. Lyrically, the songs include those inspired by historical events, the writings of the philosophers Kierkegaard, Nietzsche and Plato, religious tribulations, and self actualization. So if you are looking for a new, heavy-prog band then check out CONTRARIAN.

Check PA homepage for song samples, links and more.

Edited by M@X - June 03 2008 at 07:10
Prog On !
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 16:36
what the hell... checking this out.. can't be any worse than last month's selection was hahhaha

or can it?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 16:44
In this case I'm very familiar wth CONTRARIAN; because a couple months ago was added by HT.

They were proposed to Symphonic, even when they didn't fit, but there was no way this excellent band could be left outside, so after HT made the contacts with the Heavy Prog Team and they were succcessfully added.

You got ingfluences from Genesis, Tull, KC, Kansas, Yes, Dream Theater, etc, one of the most exceptional representatives of this new movement in Prog that while respecting the past, manage to add new sounds and styles.

Outstanding material.

Iván

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 12:35
Good band ..  seems they have grown on me a bit since I wrote that review ....  wish I could pull that review out  doesn't do the justice ...  well I suppose three stars is all I could give them due to slight inconsistency throughout the CD but its a high three stars  7/10  ..  good cd for Kansas fans and Proto Kaw too any open minded prog fan could at least enjoy it for what it is .  
Treasure View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 14:02
I found them interesting. Sort of predictable...The singer sounds pretty cool however.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 17:03
I listened to the free samples.  Not great and not my cup of tea, but certainly worthy of some additional exposure.
marcuz29 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 00:56
hmmm. I think i'll try to check this band out. They might have something special from the others.
 Post Reply Post Reply