Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDrunk Driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: How would you manage the situation? (read my post)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [20.00%]
7 [46.67%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [13.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drunk Driving
    Posted: May 30 2008 at 21:56
Suppose you go to a friend's house and from there, your friend using his/her car goes to another place to meet other friends and then they go drinking. The driver (and sadly the others as well) are somewhat (but not totally) drunk ... and a friend wants to drive to go somewhere.

What would you do in this situation?

Note: choose 6,7, or 8 if you'll go in if you can't convince them not to drive and choose 3,4,5 if you won't go in the car if you can't convince them not to drive.

Assume the alcohol level is around 15-20% (when the limit for safe driving tends to be around 8%) and that the friends are not easy to convince (well, they're drunk). Also assume that the trip is neither short nor long.

Edited by Zitro - May 31 2008 at 08:48
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 01:08
Having done it, having allowed it, this is my best rresspponeseee .
Ooops, here ... i waited thill I ssssobberreddd up
Up the penalties for DUI, no more one two three strikes. My province, New Brunswick Canada; has just changed its' license graded steps. Until you are 21, 0% alcohol is the accepted limit for ALL drivers. Period. No ifs and or buts. And, even better ( and this new ruling stems from a childhood neighbour), the damage done (lost life, injury, monetary loss) is completely your responseability. No more " I was not conscious of what I was doing 'cause I was drunk" defence. If you got drunk, whatever you did afterwards that you should have known you weren't able to is your fault.
God knows this makes sense, but the excuse was always, " i was drunk, therefore, did not know what I was doing/ did not have control over my actions / It's not my fault !
So if I choose to consume mass quantities, that's my choice. If I choose to get behind the wheel of a dangerous weapon, it is a crime waiting to happen.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 08:13
Don't know if I read your story right, but if it were my friends and they're drunk and I'm sober, I'll drive - doesn't matter whose car it is, they'll be too drunk to care.

I chose the wrong option - if they insist on being behind the wheel, I'm not getting in the car.  But let me say this - don't accept no for an answer.  You don't want those guys driving!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 08:17
I would offer to get a cab. If they refuse, I'd notify the barkeeper and/or the police. Luckily, I don't have any friends who would even consider to drive a car while drunk.

EDIT: voted "3", but of course I won't go in if I failed. Sorry!Wink

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 31 2008 at 08:18
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 08:25
I'd take a cab, and i will convince my friends to do the same. I never get in a car when the driver has been drinking.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 08:29
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Don't know if I read your story right, but if it were my friends and they're drunk and I'm sober, I'll drive - doesn't matter whose car it is, they'll be too drunk to care.

I chose the wrong option - if they insist on being behind the wheel, I'm not getting in the car.  But let me say this - don't accept no for an answer.  You don't want those guys driving!

Very true. If you let them drive and they get involved in an accident you'll be - partially - to blame, or there might even be legal consequences depending on which country you live in.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 08:36
Either of the two options (4 or 5) people have been selecting -- whichever is more appropriate to your situation.

And DO NOT get in that car with him at the wheel!

A day or two later, when he's sober, you can talk about the irrefutable reality of slowed reaction times due to alcohol. Also, he should remember that in the event of an accident (say a kid runs in front of the car), even if it "wasn't his fault," if he tests as legally impaired, he will be in DEEP sh*t. (Not to mention feel guilty for the rest of his life.)

Take care, and do the right thing. DWI is always wrong, and always avoidable!
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 08:53
oops, noticed everyone making the mistakes, so I switched the 3,4,5 and 6,7,8 choices around.

yeah, I made the mistake of letting it happen. Luckily nothing bad happened, but I learned the lesson and now I know what to do (not that I really want to hang out with them anymore, it was an awful night in all possible ways)

On a related note:
One of the guys from there (who used to be sort of like my best friend when I was a young teen) was picking me up to go somewhere and after 3-5 minutes I noticed he was drunk, he starts driving 60-80mph, passes some red lights and ignores my pleads to stop or at least slow down. I thought I was gonna die (and I didn't have a cellphone with me) and that we could have killed anyone, children, mothers, etc. I hate drunk driving.

Relayer09 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 10:10
Even though the car isn't yours and you may not be insured to drive it, a cop will be more understanding of the situation if you were to get pulled over than if your drunk friend were pulled over.
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb
johnnyfr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 10:45
Drink driving endangers lives. Simple as that. Don't do it and don't let others do it. Regret is a terrible thing.

Visit us for Driving Lessons in Ormskirk.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 12:47
DUI, no good. M'kay.
Yukorin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 13:03

Zero tolerance in Japan for alcohol mixed with a drive. More than zero percent alcohol in your body when tested by the roadside police means a prison term. Doesn't stop the idiotic red-light jumpers though.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 13:54
I had to answer other and by that I mean, get them stoned, drop some acid on them, shoot them up with heroin, and then drive around town as fast as you can.  Lifes's too short for not doing your part to thin out the herd.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 31 2008 at 13:56
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 15:26

I would offer to drive them or call them a cab.If they refused I would ask for their keys and if they refused to give them to me I would take the keys from them,forcefully if necessary.

I have had to do that before.I don't drink and many of my friends do,so most of the people I hang with know I will drive them.I have lost quite a few people to drunk driving,and the thought of anybody getting behind the wheel when they are so drunk they can barely walk disgusts me.

KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 15:37
Been there, done that.
I don't drink much, so most of the times I'm the designated driver.
But if we are all planning on drinking we plan on staying overnight or sleeping it off in the car.

If they refuse, I would take the keys away, call a cab or another friend. It helps that none of my friends are violent drunks.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 11:45
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I had to answer other and by that I mean, get them stoned, drop some acid on them, shoot them up with heroin, and then drive around town as fast as you can.  Lifes's too short for not doing your part to thin out the herd.

Hence why are there helmet laws for motorcycles. If they want to leave there brains on the highway let them.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 13:30
In this situation, it's obvious...offer to drive (or call a cab, but screw that in my city) and if they don't take the keys away from the driver. Huzzah!

But really, say they've had 1 or 2 mildly alcoholic beers. I don't know how close that gets you to the limit, but I've been in situations like that. No one's messed up or slurring their words, but there's a slight buzz going on? Or maybe there's no outward sign. And if it's late at night and we're just trying to get home...for better or worse we hedge our bets. There's not really a chance of getting in a crash, but get pulled over by the cops...*gulp*
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 21:16
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

In this situation, it's obvious...offer to drive (or call a cab, but screw that in my city) and if they don't take the keys away from the driver. Huzzah!

But really, say they've had 1 or 2 mildly alcoholic beers. I don't know how close that gets you to the limit, but I've been in situations like that. No one's messed up or slurring their words, but there's a slight buzz going on? Or maybe there's no outward sign. And if it's late at night and we're just trying to get home...for better or worse we hedge our bets. There's not really a chance of getting in a crash, but get pulled over by the cops...*gulp*

How many squares are there in San Berdino these days?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 00:21
I should have put "get the car keys, with force if necessary" as one option. 
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 14:19
i've had friends drink & drive but i didnt know till the next day because i was so drunk myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>