Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStar Wars Saga.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which one is your favourite episode?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [17.14%]
17 [48.57%]
4 [11.43%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
6 [17.14%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 04:04
y'know for every quart of Yaddlemilk sold, 25 cents goes straight into the Emperor's pocket..  it's not right

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 04:52
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

I think I pulled something from laughing so hard at the Yaddle milk container.  "teat hair pulp"  DeadLOL
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 05:07
Which one is number one again? LOL

As a young lad I saw the first one which is the fourth one.  Not being huge fan I kind of lost interest after that.  The second set, the prequels, seemed to be trying too hard to rise above the first three. The first of the prequels was the last I went to see in a theater.  Come to think of it I didn't go out to see the last two of the first three.

Dagnabit, I think I didn't vote right.  I support the first one released for it's campy-ness.  IV? well, I've had more than a few of those.  And musically speaking the other John Williams did a really nice soundtrack. Big smile  I'm not sure how well it would have turned out with the John Williams of Sky fame...

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 24 2008 at 05:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 11:41
to me Episode V, the best movie ever of the entire saga.

But i love rellay love the expanded universe, specially the old Sith and Jedi battles.  
Cacho i have a link interesting to you and to all who love Star Wars:

Edited by Alberto Muñoz - November 25 2008 at 11:42

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 12:02
I'm not a fan of the series despite having watched the original Star Wars seven times in the cinema as a young child.  That said, I do like The Empire Strikes Back, particularly because of Yoda (I also saw that in the cinema when it was released).  These episode numbers confuse me -- I have to look them up.  Of the "post trilogy" ones, I have only seen The Phantom Menace, at least in full (only watched it once, when it came out), and I thought it poor.

I much prefer Lucas' earlier THX-1138.  Incidentally, I tthink of Stars Wars more as fantasy than science fiction (it's very soft sci-fi).  Other movie series that I loved as a child I enjoy much more than the Star Wars saga now, such as the Planet of the Apes ones.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 12:12
THX 1138:a masterpiece!I also enjoyed a lot Michael Radford'1984,Brazil and Children of men.The first Planet of the apes is great,how would you rate the other movies? 
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 12:25
^ Brazil was for a long time my favourite movie, and 1984 my favourite dystopian novel.  I still haven't seen Children of Men -- good reminder.

I love the first four Planet of the Apes movies (the fifth is not as good).  I think the second, "Beneath the Planet of the Apes", is terrific.  It's a great sequel.

[minor spoiler, highlight to view]""All things bright and beautiful; all great creatures great and small.  All things wise and wonderful, the Lord Bomb made them all."[/minor spoiler]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 13:49
Thanks for the advice,I will look for them.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

crimson king
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 15:43
I just had a Star Wars-week where I saw each one of them every night, starting with The Phantom Menace and ending with Return of the Jedi. (I actually even had an encore: Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the rather mediocre animated movie). My new thoughts:

I StarStar1/2    Weak in the story and Jar Jar Binks is the worst atrocity ever but the moments with Anakin and Qui-Gon are good...

II StarStarStar  A little more story and the character of anakin starts to grow, even though all the acting in the movie is quite wooden

III StarStarStarStar Excellent, though could be better. Less explosions, more story. At times the constant change of focus makes it look rather soap-opera-ish, but the emergence of the Dark Side pays it off.

IV StarStarStarStar1/2 Excellent, quite a magical experience. It's a little too brief in my view

V StarStarStarStarStar  The best. More story than action, plus a lot of magical new enviroments (like Lando's city)

VI StarStar Quite the anti-climatic ending, the worst in the series. This loks like any stupid action movie with lots of chases and explosions. The only good moments happen between Darth Vader, Luke and the Emperor.

Anexus: The Clone Wars StarStar A rehash of all movies, it wouldn't be so bad if it didn't destroy the characters of the live-action ones (Anakin has no dark side in here), plus the atrocious Padawan of Anakin is the worst addition to the series since Jar Jar Binks. The graphics are just ok.

It needs to be said: one of the best actors throughout the whole series is R2-D2.. seriously... Lucas managed to give a lot of character to a trash can and makes it so cute... really, it's a much better actor than some of the real ones (including S. Jackson who was kind of drugged it seems as Master Windu....)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 17:42
I thought Jackson's performance was quite right for the solemn and brooding Windu  ..the Clone Wars story is much better in the original animated shorts that came out about five years ago, far superior to the film

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 18:01
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I StarStar1/2    Weak in the story and Jar Jar Binks is the worst atrocity ever but the moments with Anakin and Qui-Gon are good...

LOLLOLLOLClap

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 06:48
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Brazil was for a long time my favourite movie, and 1984 my favourite dystopian novel.  I still haven't seen Children of Men -- good reminder.

I love the first four Planet of the Apes movies (the fifth is not as good).  I think the second, "Beneath the Planet of the Apes", is terrific.  It's a great sequel.

[minor spoiler, highlight to view]""All things bright and beautiful; all great creatures great and small.  All things wise and wonderful, the Lord Bomb made them all."[/minor spoiler]

I think you'll really like Children of Men.  I found the Planet movie series really interesting as a kid.  other distopians of course, 1984 (1984 movie version), Brazil, V For Vendetta, 12 Monkeys, They Live...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 08:52
12 Monkeys is one of my favourites!

crimson king
kevdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 16:17
V for the Win. Though, I do love Return Of The Jedi as well.
I look at the world and see no understanding...
DT
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 16:48
I'd have to say:

5 > 4 > 6 or 3 > 2 > 1
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I think you'll really like Children of Men.  I found the Planet movie series really interesting as a kid.  other distopians of course, 1984 (1984 movie version), Brazil, V For Vendetta, 12 Monkeys, They Live...

I'm sure I will, and I've seen all the others you mentioned.  I love dystopian speculative fiction (in movies, shows, and books).  My nick is a Logan's Run reference.

One of my faves is the odd, and some think very bad (the bad moments only add to the charm) Zardoz:

Here's a little blurb/ review I wrote about it years ago:

A really big, toothy, and freaky stone head magnificently soars through the azure sky. A group of men in red diapers (Exterminators) rush to meet it. Wearing masks with the same visage as the stone head, they gather worshipfully before the Stone head which gracefully lands. With a booming voice it addresses the Exterminators: "The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as o­nce it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth. Now go forth and kill." The stone head, which is Zardoz and the Exterminator’s god, spews forth guns which they greedily lap up.

The Exterminator Zed (Sean Connery like you’ve never seen him before) secretly enters the head which is the o­nly path into the Vortex – a land of immortals (the Eternals) with big mental powers and scanty clothing.

He has worked in the service of Zardoz, cleansing the Earth of Brutals (the masses outside the Vortex) but has learned that it was all based o­n a lie and seeks revenge! But while Zed resents the underhanded manipulation by the immortal denizens of the Vortex, who was manipulating the Eternals? And to what ends?

"We’ve all been used!"
"And re-used."
"And abused!"
"And amused."

It seems that Zardoz, by director John Boorman who went o­n to make Excalibur, is a love it or hate it film – truly weird, truly different, and I think, truly wonderful. The final scenes are incredibly moving and powerful.

It’s a very surreal, satirical, sometimes disturbing, sometimes just plain bad, but ultimately poignant film, and a personal favourite. If fear of seeing Sean Connery in a bright red diaper AND a wedding dress doesn’t deter you, be warned, there are lots of topless females frolicking about, and a depraved orgy scene with seniors involved.

Scene to look out for: Super-human Zed punching through some saran wrap while those near him staring in disbelief exclaim, "It can’t be done, it’s impossible." There are too many quotable quotes to even begin quoting (though I have begun quoting them).

But enough of words, pictures speak louder than, here’s the trailer which is seriously wack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0

Sorry for the digression.... I find the Star Wars universe not so engaging.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 17:19
Hey, anyone seen the Robot Chicken Star Wars Parody?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 17:33
Yes, I have.  Have you seen the Family Guy Star Wars parody?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 17:48
That's gotta be weird. Big smile

Noticed the third season of RC is out. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 26 2008 at 17:49

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 03:39
I've just seen Zardoz trailerClapAnother movie to watch! 

crimson king
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123