Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat group of prog fans are the most fun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Dream Theater fans or YES fans?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [35.29%]
11 [64.71%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 15:18
Citizen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 15:23
Zeuhl and Krautrock fans, probably. Most of the Dream Theater fans I've encountered have just been annoying, although I suppose it could be argued that they're having fun while doing it.

Edited by Citizen - June 06 2008 at 15:24
This is my signature.
Amazing, isn't it?
Relayer09 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 15:41
Buckeye fans are even more fun.
If you lose your temper, you've lost the arguement. -Proverb
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 16:54
Dream Theater fans are the 2nd-most obnoxious fans, beaten only by Rush fans. what I mean by that is that they tend to go and say"...." (fill in they name of any band member) is the greatest player of .... (fill in the name of the instrument he plays)". now I have nothing against people saying "..." is a great musician on his/her instrument", but the best? how are you going to measure that? I am not saying that fans of other bands don't do that at all, but it is especially notable with these 2 bands. now while I certainly have my preferences as to whom I like best as a musician on a certain instrument I would not go and say anything like that; I would only say "I prefer ....'s (fill in the name of a musician I like best) style of playing". but best? how are you going to measure that? tempo? expression? ideas?

Edited by BaldJean - June 08 2008 at 15:20

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 17:31
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Dream Theater fans are the 2nd-most obnoxious fans, beaten only by Rush fans. what I mean by that they tend to go and say"...." (fill in they name of any band member) is the greatest player of .... (fill in the name of the instrument he plays)". now I have nothing against people saying "..." is a great musician on his/her instrument", but the best? how are you going to measure that? I am not saying that fans of other bands don't do that at all, but it is especially notable with these 2 bands. now while I certainly have my preferences as to whom I like best as a musician on a certain instrument I would not go and say anything like that; I would only say "I prefer ....'s (fill in the name of a musician I like best) style of playing". but best? how are you going to measure that? tempo? expression? ideas?

I agree with you.. but let me tell you that you should meet Magma fans.. those are even worse as they really think every member there is a superior genius...TongueWinkLOL
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 20:42

Dream Theater fans are the 2nd-most obnoxious fans, beaten only by Rush fans....

Damn,. I am one obnoxious SOB then! LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 20:46
gotta vote for the DT fans... 

can't say much for their taste... but they are good sports.. and no group is easier to toy with and get a rise out of hahhaha.  Whenever the forum is slow ... or things are gettting too serious.. .just piss on the group and watch the acne scarred masses rise to defend their heros hahha

by far the best of the fanatic groups....

thankfully the PT fanatics have sort of gone underground for the time being...  they aren't true fanatics...  where is the S.W. vs. God poll.  Amateurs...

The Magma group was cute at first... now they sort of have become a joke... noticed they aren't even acknowledged much.  A great group.. in spite of those who sing their praises the loudest.

Yes fans?  who really is a Yes fanatic...  really can't think of anyone who is whole hog Yes or a Knight in the service of Yes hahhaha.

ELP fans... the coolest probably...  completely bulletproof against the stupid things said around this forum about them .. yet secure in the knowledge that ELP... IS prog.  The rest... merely ride the wings of popularity.. without ELP.. prog would have never been what it was.

what other fan groups are there here anyway?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 20:48
ahhh.. Rush fans....  oh yes...  right behind DT and ELP for the shear awesomeness of Tony and his fearless brigade of fighting Rush fanatics..  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 20:58
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

laplace
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2008 at 21:10
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Calm down.. in 20 years we will be running the prog show.... 70's prog fans will be old and powerless against us....Evil%20Smile

Yes, that may well be true, kind of like what happened when 'Punk Rock' kinda stole Progs thunder, but as we all know that was short lived. Some of us old proggers intend on being around for quite some time to keep you young buggers on the straight and narrow.............WinkLOL
Luke. J View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 13:42
Magma fans are only fun when they go mad in Kobaian. Dream Theater and Rush fans tend to be over-enthusiastic about the musicians, but the most fun for me is when people start praising the "beautiful, angelic" voice of Jon Anderson LOL
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 19:01
Originally posted by Luke. J Luke. J wrote:

Magma fans are only fun when they go mad in Kobaian. Dream Theater and Rush fans tend to be over-enthusiastic about the musicians, but the most fun for me is when people start praising the "beautiful, angelic" voice of Jon Anderson LOL

You also forget that along with his angelic voice comes some of the industries best lyrics. LOL
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 19:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

There are the Camel fans, but it appears that we've managed to scare some of them off, or at least divide them.

besides, I'm sure they're still working out whether Mirage, Moonmadness or The Snow Goose was more influential...

The VDGG fans don't seem to have formed a coalition yet, but when they do, it will be a dark day for the fora Wink (and I'll love it). I know there are more than a few of us around here, we're just not as organised as the other factions.

Besides that, we have the hip-hop/rap group, who are now largely ignored.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 19:21
not to mention the funlovin' chiptune posse
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 20:24
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Dream Theater fans are the 2nd-most obnoxious fans, beaten only by Rush fans....

Damn,. I am one obnoxious SOB then! LOL

I 2nd that! I never knew I was THAT annoying. I guess when you hang around DT fans all the time you don't really have anything to argue about. Except me and my friend always put albums superior to others.

"Train of Thought sucks Images and Words D***!" LOL We just fight to get a rise out of eachother and have fun...also he's a drummer and I'm a guitarist so of course there's the "John Petrucci is more of a God than Mike Portnoy" being sarcastic of course, they're not Gods............................only Petrucci Wink

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 20:36
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Calm down.. in 20 years we will be running the prog show.... 70's prog fans will be old and powerless against us....Evil%20Smile
I plan on sticking around to well past 70 and fully intend to be a thorn in the side of the new-guard once they grasp power from our feeble arhtritic hands - oh what fun we'll have then when we team up with the new VRoomers of 2028 who will sneer at the fuddy-duddy music of the 90s and 00s and together we will plague the new lighthouse keepers with our combined acerbic witt and unparalleled knowledge of all things archaic and modern, imagine the fun we will have when the young upstarts who think they know everything are aided, abettted and spurred-on by the cantankerous old farts who really do know everything, oh yes, mark my words and quake as we embark on our subversive campagne of terror and sweet sweet revenge, for we will have no fear and a lifetime of curmudgeonly grudges to exact upon the new-order, for there will be a word, and the word is later and it's right for us, there is a time and it's time to take the time... Evil%20Smile

...then I'm a fan of the 60s, 80s, 90s and 00s as well as the 70s (and hopefully the 10s and the 20s) so I guess I don't count. Wink

I think all prog fans are fun, some are funny and others are funky.
What?
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2008 at 22:42
I do love my little circle of Canterbury cultists. All five of us, that is...
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 10:01
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

There are the Camel fans, but it appears that we've managed to scare some of them off, or at least divide them.

besides, I'm sure they're still working out whether Mirage, Moonmadness or The Snow Goose was more influential...

The VDGG fans don't seem to have formed a coalition yet, but when they do, it will be a dark day for the fora Wink (and I'll love it). I know there are more than a few of us around here, we're just not as organised as the other factions.

Besides that, we have the hip-hop/rap group, who are now largely ignored.

It will be a very dark day indeed... but us VDGG fans love a dark day Evil%20Smile
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Citizen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 19:15
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

I do love my little circle of Canterbury cultists. All five of us, that is...

You're no match for the 1970s Texas prog and psych fan group.

Wait, did you say five? We surrender.

Edited by Citizen - June 09 2008 at 19:16
This is my signature.
Amazing, isn't it?
popeyethecat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 17:53
I can't answer the poll because I've never met any (in real life) :/
I wish I had friends who shared my interests
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>