Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 23:41
Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

Originally posted by markosherrera markosherrera wrote:

I prefer a concert of Kiss

Ah, but what about the music?

Kiss all the way. Radiohead as music? Ha. Good one.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2008 at 23:42
I think Radiohead is the kind of band you need to see in a small venue and not an ampitheater. Where as, Kiss is a band that has lots of flash but not much else.   Visuals are important in a live show obviously because you go to the show to see the band. I find watching the musicians do their work is quite rewarding especially if they are good at what they do. They can dance about if thats what gets them going, or they can stand perfectly still. As long as their heart is in the music then you know the show is going to be good. Even if someone is completely motionless but plays with all their heart and soul you can hear it and see the energy going through the instrument and it is amazing.

With Gene you probably don't see that so much considering where his heart lies.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 11:16
Gene once said you get into rock for the money and/or sex, and if you say otherwise, you're a liar.  His only true ambition was to get filthy rich and wear out his willy. He succeeded! LOL
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 22:14
True. After hearing how some state that they humbly make music for music's sake, then finding out the battle of egos that goes on behind the scenes, it's refreshing that Mr Weitz is blunt about his goals. Anyone who doesn't want the attention, fame, and success, should really stay in the garage or basement and keep their music for themselves. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Zodiak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 16:49
Well, since this thread has already spanned an astonishing 7 pages, I might as well add my 50 cents...

I'm a HUGE Radiohead fan. They are, hands down, my favourite band. And I do listen to A LOT of music. For that reason alone I have the right to disagree with Gene. However, despite the fact that I don't like KISS at all (Gene included), I have to admit he has a point...

I'll start with the beaten-to-death comparison of Radiohead and Muse. Muse are, supposingly, just a bunch of Radiohead rip-offs. They are actually my next favourite band, so the accusations might be valid, but that's beside the point. And despite my love for both Radiohead and Muse, I can't but agree that Muse's live performances are MUCH, MUCH better and exciting. They are simply AWESOME live. Whereas Radiohead are, let's say, minimalistic. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Radiohead the way they are but I can certainly see why someone, even Gene, might say something like that. The music is superb, yes, but the delivery of the songs live is often sort of subdued, for the lack of a better word. And while fans absolutely love Radiohead's live performances, and in the end it's all that should matter, I myself might enjoy a more active, wild Radiohead. I mean, take their Astoria DVD (1994 performance). It proves they can be wild, while retaining their musical force.

Though of course Radiohead are special precisely because of all these accusations. And while they're certainly not a unique, best-in-the-world progressive rock band, I think they fully deserve the right to do things their own way. Besides, they ARE an album band, unlike Muse, for example. Their music is supposed to be enjoyed being listened to on a stereo, not at a live gig.  

Edited by Zodiak - June 23 2008 at 16:50
Please suggest a good sig!
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 17:00
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Pinch 
I'm not a violent man but this statement has put me over the edge.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 17:18
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Dan on this one.
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 18:40
For those that would never go to a show to watch a band to just stand there and just play their damn instruments I'll say don't go to Jazz concert or club. Jazz is about music not entertainment Freak shows. like what kiss does. disgusting!!ConfusedSleepyI can see that you guys will never become Jazz aficionados. and back to the purposes of this topic "Kiss" is Circus show ruled by clowns starting with Gene Simmons. How can he dare compare compare his freaks show with Radioheads?can you imaging radiohead with make up and bitting blood capsules on stage? So, I would say Man that man is a freak! Oh God Please Hell NO!!!  I would probably never liked Radiohead in the first place. ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
I wouldn't go to their show  not even If a blond hot Mama! will invite me! well, maybe I make an exception because of the hot mama!Embarrassed 

Edited by darksideof - June 23 2008 at 18:55
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 22:43
Originally posted by darksideof darksideof wrote:

For those that would never go to a show to watch a band to just stand there and just play their damn instruments I'll say don't go to Jazz concert or club. Jazz is about music not entertainment Freak shows. like what kiss does. disgusting!!ConfusedSleepyI can see that you guys will never become Jazz aficionados. and back to the purposes of this topic "Kiss" is Circus show ruled by clowns starting with Gene Simmons. How can he dare compare compare his freaks show with Radioheads?can you imaging radiohead with make up and bitting blood capsules on stage? So, I would say Man that man is a freak! Oh God Please Hell NO!!!  I would probably never liked Radiohead in the first place. ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
I wouldn't go to their show  not even If a blond hot Mama! will invite me! well, maybe I make an exception because of the hot mama!Embarrassed 

I have an honest question: are you currently under the influence of any mind-altering substances? You're a little...incoherent.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 23:44
I can only imagine this thread if the "insult" would've been directed at Robert Fripp.... PA would've been shut down due to FBI's crackdown on violence and terrorism...
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 12:05
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I can only imagine this thread if the "insult" would've been directed at Robert Fripp.... PA would've been shut down due to FBI's crackdown on violence and terrorism...

Yeah, that guy moved so little that he had tape machines playing musicWink
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 12:18
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by darksideof darksideof wrote:

I have an honest question: are you currently under the influence of any mind-altering substances? You're a little...incoherent.
maybe you are!!Shocked
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 12:49
Nick Lowe once said that "groups like Yes and Genesis were about as exciting as a used kleenex."  I loved Nick Lowe at the time (it was shortly after my Kiss period back in High School) but the statement got me so intrigued that I bought bought Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme (ostensibly for a friend who really did want them) just to satisfy my own curiosity.  My friend never did get his records. LOL  I still have a soft spot for Nick and for Kiss though.  No use whatever for Radiohead.

Edited by Trademark - June 24 2008 at 12:50
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 07:27
Sorry Darkshade...

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

if this thread lasts for more than 3 pages, then, well, that'll be just sad...

Page 7

You do realise don't you that Kiss released a double concept album a few years ago called 'Music From The Elder', featuring a full orchestra & produced by Bob Ezrin (of Floyd's 'The Wall' fame)?

Prog Related anyone?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 14:06
^ LOL

I guess it's time to push and lobby for their addition....Tongue

And to movie fans all over the world: KISS gets even proggier once you've seen their movie, KISS vs the park monsters or something like that... It's so incredibly atrocious....

.... but it's still more fun than Thom Yorke... Wink
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 22:52
Two yukky bands to me. sorry LOL
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 22:56
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Pinch 
I'm not a violent man but this statement has put me over the edge.

Modern foolishness sends me over the edge. Then I play some Yes or any other pre-1989 band, and that's when we get close to the edge. Right where we ought to be. Mmhmm.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 04:14

Kiss all the way.

All the way? Even Psycho Circus?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 05:39
As for Kiss versus Radiohead.... I'm no expert on either band, but I've only heard one song I liked by Radiohead and Kiss are 1970s hard rock, a style I like much more than depressive modern rock like Radiohead.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Mantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 21:04
I think we should all realize Gene will be Gene, but to be honest he really should lay low on modern bands. Times have changed, and for progressive bands especially, the live shows tend to be a bit more tame. I kinda like Kiss, as they were a gateway band to heavier things, and ultimately, prog for me, but Gene should stick in his own territory and leave Radiohead and bands of the sort alone. Not to say Radiohead is the most exciting band, but whats it to him?

"I was told, theres a new love that's born for each one that has died."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>