FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReview my review!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review my review!
    Posted: June 27 2008 at 22:37
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Quote perhaps that is the different between you and I...I prefer a good challenge, you like the end result, no?

Two points:

a) it's hard to write a good review in any style, why make it harder and get a lesser result?
b) from the standpoint of the review reader, not the reviewer, who cares about whether the reviewer was challenged, and who wouldn't prefer a good end result to lesser one?
I was being slightly facetious, good points regardless.  BUT, there are times when a greater challenge creates greater results...more ambitious reviews may very well come out better.  If we're talking about the reader's point of view...well, we already know that some of 'em just plain like the TBT reviews.
Signature Writers Guild on strike
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 22:34
Quote perhaps that is the different between you and I...I prefer a good challenge, you like the end result, no?

Two points:

a) it's hard to write a good review in any style, why make it harder and get a lesser result?
b) from the standpoint of the review reader, not the reviewer, who cares about whether the reviewer was challenged, and who wouldn't prefer a good end result to lesser one?
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 22:30

Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

yes, JUSTIFY is a better word for itWink

proof that even the perfect make mistakes sometimes Tongue

more often than you would thinkWink

Quote A good track-by-track will have plenty of "flow", because the reviewer sees the album as a conceptual whole that leads smoothly (or rather, meaningfully) from one part to the next (even if it really doesn't)...and this is reflected in the review.

In theory, very rarely in practice though.  And it would still flow better not in a track-by-track format.

Why do the extra work just to reach adequacy when you can hit greatness more easily?

perhaps that is the different between you and I...I prefer a good challenge, you like the end result, no?

Quote And I agree with Teo, people unfamiliar with the music will find this helpful...we've said it ourselves.

I still maintain that this can be done far more effectively in a non track-by-track format.  To each his own, though.

Quote Sorry if the thread has been hijacked, but I think this discussion is interesting and useful. 

Agreed.
damn...running out of thing to argueLOL good "debate" thoughApprove
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 22:26

yes, JUSTIFY is a better word for itWink

proof that even the perfect make mistakes sometimes Tongue

Quote A good track-by-track will have plenty of "flow", because the reviewer sees the album as a conceptual whole that leads smoothly (or rather, meaningfully) from one part to the next (even if it really doesn't)...and this is reflected in the review.

In theory, very rarely in practice though.  And it would still flow better not in a track-by-track format.

Why do the extra work just to reach adequacy when you can hit greatness more easily?

Quote And I agree with Teo, people unfamiliar with the music will find this helpful...we've said it ourselves.

I still maintain that this can be done far more effectively in a non track-by-track format.  To each his own, though.

Quote Sorry if the thread has been hijacked, but I think this discussion is interesting and useful. 

Agreed.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 22:21
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Interesting. I still think it can be very valuable, especially in cases when one or two songs are what makes an album.

I still disagree Wink

Quote You mention writing, which is important. But reviews are not only personal essays but also guides.

And the better written they are, the more effective.  And anyway, they're not guides, they're persuasive essays, trying to convince a person whether or not an album is worthwhile to that particular person using the reviewer's own experience with it.

Quote Remember, we're not writing just for our sakes here. (or aren't we? Actually, sometimes it may just be an ego thing... it definitely is....)

I don't see what this has to do with anything, really.  Whether you're writing for yourself or for others, you should write as well as you can.

Quote Ok, let's assume that we write reviews not only for ourselves but for people to use as reference. I've found that a good description is helpful before buying.

And as I've said multiple times, you can describe an album far more effectively without a track-by-track than with one.

Quote But in the end I have almost dropped the TBT except for the most important albums. It takes too much time.... And as you say, done improperly it can affect the rhythm. But again, this is not a literature forum, but a music forum and website.

What does it not being a lit forum have to do with anything?  That doesn't change that you should still write the best reviews possible.

Quote Also, sometimes, as said, one song makes or breaks an album. How wouldn't I review _On limpid form with the highest possible detail? Wink

Certainly you can go into detail about the track (as you did with OLF), but you can still integrate it into the review as a whole.

e.g.

"Intriguing as the first half of the album might be, it takes a nosedive in the second half, where it lapses into pointless noodling where NOTHING EVER HAPPENS..."

And this would of course flow out of the earlier paragraph mentioning what the album does right, in which you would discuss, not the first three tracks in detail, but briefly the ways each of the first three tracks works well.

Quote Sometimes I have problems finding enough different words to express meanings... it's complicated when you have to write in a second language... Cry

That's perfectly understandable, but I'd still prefer you have trouble finding the words for a non tbt review than for a tbt Wink

Edited by Pnoom! - June 27 2008 at 22:22
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 22:05
Interesting. I still think it can be very valuable, especially in cases when one or two songs are what makes an album. You mention writing, which is important. But reviews are not only personal essays but also guides. Remember, we're not writing just for our sakes here. (or aren't we? Actually, sometimes it may just be an ego thing... it definitely is....) Ok, let's assume that we write reviews not only for ourselves but for people to use as reference. I've found that a good description is helpful before buying.

But in the end I have almost dropped the TBT except for the most important albums. It takes too much time.... And as you say, done improperly it can affect the rhythm. But again, this is not a literature forum, but a music forum and website.

Also, sometimes, as said, one song makes or breaks an album. How wouldn't I review _On limpid form with the highest possible detail? Wink

Sometimes I have problems finding enough different words to express meanings... it's complicated when you have to write in a second language... Cry
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 22:00

Quote I don't understand...you said that a reviewer should use track descriptions to help prove a point; I said that a reviewer needn't always PROVE a point.  This is art, not politics.

On the contrary, the reviewer by definition must always prove several points (perhaps justify is a better word than prove):

why they like/dislike an album
whether the album flows well
whether the songs are well-constructed
what parts of the album work, what don't
etc

Those are all points on which any good review will provide a position on at least 2 and will prove/justify their position.

The problem with track by tracks is that they almost always have no flow, because the paragraphs about each track are seperate entities that bear no relation to each other.
yes, JUSTIFY is a better word for itWink I'm not going to prove whether the songs are well-written, that isn't the point here, prove and opinion do not intersect...people forget that sometimes; an opinion is not meant to be supported by muscular arguments, it's lighter than that - have fun with it.Smile  A good track-by-track will have plenty of "flow", because the reviewer sees the album as a conceptual whole that leads smoothly (or rather, meaningfully) from one part to the next (even if it really doesn't)...and this is reflected in the review.  And I agree with Teo, people unfamiliar with the music will find this helpful...we've said it ourselves.
Sorry if the thread has been hijacked, but I think this discussion is interesting and useful. 
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 21:54
To be perfectly honest Teo, when I read your reviews (mostly just for Kayo Dot, tbph again), I skip over the track-by-track parts and read the rest, and I don't feel like I've missed anything much, really.

One of the things I've learned in learning how to write (I'm not going to lie, I'm a good writer) is that flow is superimportant in writing, and tbt reviews just don't have that.  I'm not saying don't discuss the songs, I'm just saying that you should incorporate talking about the songs into the flow of your review.  I really don't need to know what every second of every song sounds like in order.  When discussing the good parts of the cd, mention a few moments that show this.  When discussing the flaws in the cd, again, mention a few moments/sections that demonstrate your point.  When discussing what the cd sounds like, reference songs to show either the consistency of the sound or its diversity, or whatever.

What's bad is when you combine all three of those elements into one paragraph and repeat it over and over for every song.  It makes the review about twice as long as it needs to be and doesn't really say anything more about the album.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 21:47

Since when can you only prove a point if you're arguing?

And your second sentence is good except for the fact that track-by-tracks are always bad.  They are tedious every time.  I have yet to find one worth reading.

I beg to differ. Track-by-tracks can be very useful, and when done properly, are actually interesting. It depend on what you're looking for in a review. I have used them in the past, and these days only in two reviews (OPETH's and KAYO DOT's), but I'd love to still have the time to sit down and do it as I used to. When I read reviews with track by tracks, I think it describes the album better for my purposes. After all, with unknown music especially, I want to have an idea of what it sounds like before I buy it, I don't need just a subjective opinion but, if possible, a brief description.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 21:41
Quote I don't understand...you said that a reviewer should use track descriptions to help prove a point; I said that a reviewer needn't always PROVE a point.  This is art, not politics.

On the contrary, the reviewer by definition must always prove several points (perhaps justify is a better word than prove):

why they like/dislike an album
whether the album flows well
whether the songs are well-constructed
what parts of the album work, what don't
etc

Those are all points on which any good review will provide a position on at least 2 and will prove/justify their position.

The problem with track by tracks is that they almost always have no flow, because the paragraphs about each track are seperate entities that bear no relation to each other.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 21:35

I don't understand...you said that a reviewer should use track descriptions to help prove a point; I said that a reviewer needn't always PROVE a point.  This is art, not politics.

And your second sentence is good except for the fact that track-by-tracks are always bad.  They are tedious every time.  I have yet to find one worth reading.
sometimes they are.  others are entertaining and offer a descriptive view into the mind of the writer.  Just read one of Cert's, Jim's (Finnforest), or Rob's (TGM) among others...they do this very well.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 21:28

jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 21:22

I didn't read it (sorry), but you get bonus points for it not being a track-by-track.  Whatever you do, never write a track-by-track review.
OR, you can...and find descriptive, concise ways to describe each track so that the review doesn't drag. It has to do with trying to be creative.  If you want to ramble about what prog is and put everyone to sleep...go for it.  If you want to talk about how impeccable your taste is, go for it...you may even be applauded and...promoted.  Come up with a style and persona that suits you.

Oh certainly any self-respecting review will mention a significant number of the tracks.  What I'm against is:

INTRO

TRACK 1 Description

TRACK 2 Description

etc

CONCLUSION

IMHO (minus the H Tongue), the best reviews talk about the album in general and reference tracks to prove their points.
what if I want to review it instead of arguing?

btw I agree with your general idea, but I think a combination of approaches works for me...short, long, track-by-track sometimes...whatever feels right at the time.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 20:23

I didn't read it (sorry), but you get bonus points for it not being a track-by-track.  Whatever you do, never write a track-by-track review.
OR, you can...and find descriptive, concise ways to describe each track so that the review doesn't drag. It has to do with trying to be creative.  If you want to ramble about what prog is and put everyone to sleep...go for it.  If you want to talk about how impeccable your taste is, go for it...you may even be applauded and...promoted.  Come up with a style and persona that suits you.

Oh certainly any self-respecting review will mention a significant number of the tracks.  What I'm against is:

INTRO

TRACK 1 Description

TRACK 2 Description

etc

CONCLUSION

IMHO (minus the H Tongue), the best reviews talk about the album in general and reference tracks to prove their points.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 19:05
LOL Some of us just crave approval.  I get a tingly feeling when PA members compliment one of my rare reviews or my musical taste...especially if they're an RIO fan, their opinions are the most valuable.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 19:00
To be safe just copy Pnoom's style so he doesn't criticize you to death.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 18:53

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 18:42
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

You can write a track by track review if you like - I agree with Blacksword - it shows thought and that you've listened to rather than merely heard the album Wink

It also makes for a boring review to read Wink (back at you)

There are other ways to show you've truly heard an album rather than just listened to it (you got them backwards anyway).
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2008 at 03:20
You can write a track by track review if you like - I agree with Blacksword - it shows thought and that you've listened to rather than merely heard the album Wink

Edited by Certif1ed - June 27 2008 at 03:21
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 12:33
^ Couldn't agree more.

As an old angry PA member used to say you're supposed to be describing the album to someone not writing a book report.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>