Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Return To Forever @ Ottawa Jazz Festival 27June08
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReturn To Forever @ Ottawa Jazz Festival 27June08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return To Forever @ Ottawa Jazz Festival 27June08
    Posted: June 27 2008 at 12:48
Man, what a reunion: Chick Corea, Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White... WHOO!!!!

Last night, June 27th, Return To Forever played an outdoor show in a park in Ottawa, for the Jazz fest. It was only 30$ to get in, and it was the best 30$ i have ever spent... There were no chairs, just find a spot closest to the stage. I was lucky enough to get about 100 feet back, although I was standing on the side (regardless it was awesome!).

All the musicians were playing to their maximum capabilities, with a true jazz/rock fusion passion. They began the concert by playing some RTF favourites, then after a two or three songs, they all switched to their signature brand "acoustic"  instruments.  After the switch, each member performed a mind boggling solo; Al Di Meola did what he usually does best, a blazing fast acoustic bombardment. After that Stanley Clarke performed my favourite part of the show, an amazing classic upright Bass solo, that lasted in between 15-25 minutes long (i lost track of time during this one). And of course Chick did little jazzy solos every now and then, to get the crowd roaring. Lenny White also performed immaculately...

This concert was the best one I've been to for a while, the musicians were having a blast, and so was the crowd. 30$ for RTF... Big%20smile

I'm going to try and catch them in Montreal again tonight, but I think its sold out Cry (and 100$)
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 03:51
It must have been really impressing!

I missed to go for a ticket for the Essen/Germany show Angry

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 12:11
I attended their gig in Warsaw on 4 July (with my friend lucas):

and it was indeed a great performance (albeit quite expensive...)!

Originally posted by OzzProg OzzProg wrote:

All the musicians were playing to their maximum capabilities, with a true jazz/rock fusion passion. They began the concert by playing some RTF favourites, then after a two or three songs, they all switched to their signature brand "acoustic"  instruments.  After the switch, each member performed a mind boggling solo; Al Di Meola did what he usually does best, a blazing fast acoustic bombardment. After that Stanley Clarke performed my favourite part of the show, an amazing classic upright Bass solo, that lasted in between 15-25 minutes long (i lost track of time during this one). And of course Chick did little jazzy solos every now and then, to get the crowd roaring. Lenny White also performed immaculately...

Well, that description applies to the Warsaw gig too. I remember especially Stanley Clarke's double-bass solo - man, that was amazing! Clap

I also saw John McLaughlin in May (which was even more expensive...) with his 4th Dimension Band. That was a good show too!

Edited by Tuzvihar - July 18 2008 at 12:14
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 05:29
I've come out of reitrement simply to say that I saw RTF in London last night and they were f**king fantastic, virtuosity at its very best.

a MAN band indeed.

bye..
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 10:23

they gonna be in NYC on friday and their ticket are from $60 to  $150.00Cry

http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 22:29
Originally posted by darksideof darksideof wrote:

they gonna be in NYC on friday and their ticket are from $60 to  $150.00Cry

Tell me about it! I had to pass on seeing RTF, as I'd already splurged on tix to see King Crimson next week.

I saw McLaughlin with his new band when they came through NYC and was a bit underwhelmed. Great players, no doubt, but they just seemed a tad off that night.
Prog fan since 1974.
thz lzzz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 09:57
haha i forgot about that, man band...

mature like the best cheese, funky as the mouldiest vein.

probably the best gig i have ever had the pleasure of attending.

please god let them do another album!
http://www.facebook.com/thelaze
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 03:11
Any other reviews from the tour....would love to hear about the highlights of some shows and some set lists?  I was in the States over the summer but unfortunately had to pass....tickets were just waaaaay to much for the east coast shows.  RTF is a band you want to experience up close so you can feel a part of the whole.  It just isn't worth $60 to stare at a megascreen from 300 feet away, and I can't afford the $250 for good seats.

Good on the guy earlier in the thread who got $30 seats at a festival.....hopefully it won't be the last chance to catch these guys together.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply