Topic ClosedDefining "Prog" ... a practical solution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 03:05
Originally posted by Kestrel Kestrel wrote:

I don't consider "prog" a real genre. I don't see a whole lot of Krautrock influence on Symphonic prog and vice versa.

Classic Prog had moved away from 1960s psychedelia, which is where the roots of most Krat lie - it evolved further, and structured the improvisations in a way that mot Kraut could not (exceptions including Can and early Kraftwerk).

(...) Genesis, Yes, King Crimson and Tull are also far more accessible than any Krautrock band;

I don't think so - all have accessible melodies, but the structured improvisations of all 3 can go way beyond "accessible" (how many people actively dislike the sublime, intricate, crystalline atonal instrumental section of "Moonchild" because it's hard to listen to?), while most Krautrock bands produced music that's only "inaccessible" due to large amounts of aimless noodle, along the lines of mid-late 1960s psychedelia - which in itself is hardly progressive.

Amon Duul II were excellent at reining in their jams - but they're one of the more accessible bands of the genre. The more I listen to bands like Faust or Guru Guru, the more I think they were just pulling a fast one - the music isn't complex at all.

Kraftwerk produced some of the most complex Kosmische music I've ever heard - but they seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

(...) they're like the pop of prog.

The most popular, for good reasons - but not like "pop" at all, really.

A lot of Krautrock was actually referred to as Pop music - I have a compilation I picked up recently of German Pop Music, which includes Can and Krokodil, among others - so in Germany, at least, it's Kraut that's the Pop of Prog Wink

I think it may just be more of a product of our Englishness (or English-speaking, more specifically). Jethro Tull was popular because it had the benefit of being from England and could be transported to places like the USA where they would gain even more success, while Can did not get that luxury.

OK, those are two specific examples; Tull were popular because they were extremely good at infusing their music with catchy melodies, infectious rhythms, and jazz-like twisting of instrumental passages from the entire group. Oh, and they had this mad flautist geezer with googly eyes, in Worzel Gummidge attire, who stood on one leg.

Can didn't work so well, not only because of the general lack of melody, but because the albums were structured edits of improvisations that were hard to reproduce live, and because not once did Czukay stand on one leg...

To succeed in a live environment, the show is everything.

Side question, is Anglagard considered retro prog?

By me, definitely - although the term seems an oxymoron, Anglagard do seem to fit it.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 03:11
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

and because not once did Czukay stand on one leg...

well then you'd really have something  TongueLOL

mickstafa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 16:52
I largely agree with Mike's breakdown, and that is how I view prog/progressive music. Much like other forms of art, music can be defined as having a combination of two parts.
1. The ethical
2. The aesthetic

As you can see, this dichotomy is exactly what Mike is saying: "truly progressive" is the meaning, or, the ethical point behind the music. "Sounding prog" is the aesthetic.

I personally make a distinction between "prog" (which is synonymous with the aesthetic) and "progressive" (which is synonymous with the ethical). Both belong here on this website and both have their merits.

Every band on here has some balance between these two concepts (or, as Mike put it, not as much of a balance, but an mutually exclusive relationship).
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 17:41
^ I agree with your usage of "prog" and "progressive", but of course it's difficult to distinguish them since "prog" is also the contraction of "progressive".

I'm preparing two tags on my website:

"progressive approach"
"prog by style"

I will attempt to assign these two tags to all the albums of my collection ... when I'm done I'll try to make the result available as a chart. I'm not sure if that chart will be useful or not, but I'm willing to try this experiment.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123