Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPost your (own) HM demos here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 05:06
^Pffff, only this isn't St Anger where it was cool to just cut and paste rather than actually play it, NO CHEATING, otherwise you will be awarded the  "You are nearly as much of a douche bag as Lars Ulrich Award and this award is not a good thing" AwardLOL
I'm having the same problem to be honest, because my thrash rhythm chops are very rusty, but I might post some sloppy stuff up in the next few days for a laughTongue

Mark- Went on the myspace page and listened to the space.
Still a tad too much upper mids/treble on the guitars, but otherwise I really liked the overall production, you really made it sound classic NWOBHM, well doneClap
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 04:59
Currently I'm working on a Thrash song, but I'm still practicing rhythmical accuracy. In the last 10 years I've been playing largely for myself, never recording anything. Playing fast thrash riffs in perfect sync with the "click" is proving to be difficult.

Of course I could always use Ableton Live's warping features and record at lower speed.Evil%20Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 04:15
Well, I guess it's fair enough that Marcos posted his stuff here, although he does already have his own thread for his myspace music band, but I'm not fussed.
Anyway, well I've got my download limit back to near full, so Mark I'll download some of your stuff in a minuteThumbs%20Up

In other news, I've got some song ideas happening, ,maybe enough for about 1 and a half/2 minutes of material so far.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 04:07
^He probably hasn't been following this thread since its inception - I never said they had to be all your own work (including production) in this thread, even though I did in the original. If it's a metal demo, then it fits the criteria, I suppose Cool
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 20:32

Marcus- I don't think you are playing fair with Certif1ed. They are full studio productions...

Brilliant stuff though.

Marcos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 11:18
http://www.myspace.com/postmortemarg
www.postmortemweb.com.ar
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 03:44
" Since today is the deadline, and the challenge is over, it'd be cool to see what you can come up with - but I'd have to render each track as a beat-mapped file first, and hope the software you're using can cope with Sony's beatmapping algorithm (if you're not using ACID).

It'll take me a while to get that lot uploaded - can your system cope with 24-bit/96Khz WAVS, or do you need another format? "

i have Acid 4, and 24 bit sounds great, but 16 bit will do if a problem - any form will do even a WAV. file or MP3,  i can do something with those ok, the bass and guitars don't have to be on separate channels if its easier to send. 

Prog Archives Tour Van
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 02:38
Originally posted by cobb2 cobb2 wrote:

Yes, I liked the song. Probably would have bought the album back then if I had heard it.

Replicas is an interesting album, with some great tunes on it. For my money, though, both Visage and the Human League (seriously!) released better electronic synth-pop (if "pop" is the right word for such dark music) back in '79.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu6MDdxBork Tongue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0WNbm1jz6A&feature=related

Maybe I should do this next;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cznha2YTTh0&feature=related

Or this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjDgmlWLyo
(I think it'd work)

This?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFDWez7c8Rc&feature=related
(I don't think so!)

So how do you get the live drum samples integrated so well into your tunes? Is Acid that good? I'm only familiar with writing drums on a percussion line in Sonar. Do you use waves and loop them out to the length of the song and add fill waves where you need them or have you got some sort of sample keyboard?

Yes, ACID is that good Big%20smile - but Sonar does that as well (at least, the version I have does - I only used ACID Express because it's free, and part of the remit for this project was that the budget had to be affordable by anyone, so no-one was excluded because of finacial issues).

I bought the samples from Beta Monkey, who do "Acidized" beat-mapped loop libraries which are better than either my drumming or my drum programming; http://www.betamonkeymusic.com/

The technique is, as you say, to simply add the loop(s), cut, copy and paste as desired, then mix/add effects to taste. It's the latter that makes all my tracks sound like they have programmed drums, as I have no idea how to mix drums, especially in loops, where if you boost the kick drum, you lose the hihat, and so on - but I'm reading up on it.

I've tweaked the drums (and vox, and guitar "synth" lines) in the latest mix, and I've replaced the one that's on MySpace - I managed to get some monitor time, so it's a bit better Big%20smile

However, I only got half an hour, so it's all quick fixes and kludges - the sections have balance issues now, because I worked on the 4 different chunks individually and didn't have time to go back and smooth it out - but I think it sounds better overall.

QUOTE=mystic fred]Mark if you could send me a file of the guitars only for "test19" without drums and vocals i could add a drum track for you (i have a Roland TD-12) , i know drums are usually put down first but should not be too much of a problem!
might be interesting Smile

[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I'm not sure if you were following this project from the start (in the NWoBHM War thread, which got borked), but the initial challenge was to create a 3-track NWoBHM style demo, by yourself, in 3 months (assuming 1 hour per evening, giving roughly a day's studio time for a 5-piece band).

Since today is the deadline, and the challenge is over, it'd be cool to see what you can come up with - but I'd have to render each track as a beat-mapped file first, and hope the software you're using can cope with Sony's beatmapping algorithm (if you're not using ACID).

It'll take me a while to get that lot uploaded - can your system cope with 24-bit/96Khz WAVS, or do you need another format?

Edited by Certif1ed - July 28 2008 at 04:55
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 01:42
Mark if you could send me a file of the guitars only for "test19" without drums and vocals i could add a drum track for you (i have a Roland TD-12) , i know drums are usually put down first but should not be too much of a problem!
might be interesting Smile

Edited by mystic fred - July 28 2008 at 01:46
Prog Archives Tour Van
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 23:52

Yes, I liked the song. Probably would have bought the album back then if I had heard it.

So how do you get the live drum samples integrated so well into your tunes? Is Acid that good? I'm only familiar with writing drums on a percussion line in Sonar. Do you use waves and loop them out to the length of the song and add fill waves where you need them or have you got some sort of sample keyboard?

Edited by cobb2 - July 27 2008 at 23:56
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 12:55
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

hi Mark, heres my critique of the "test 19" song, no comments about the sound quality as you requested ( i must advise though that using electrical equipment in a bathroom is potentially dangerous..Wink).

i liked the Metallica-style intro, though it seemed disjointed from the main song, as if it were stuck on.  overall the song  is a good song, even though i couldn't understand a single word - the vocals were awful - reminiscent of  a drunken karaoke night, out of tune, strained, embarrassingly bad. the song justifies a good singer(s), which is the most important element(s) of a band, i suggest Bruce would fit the bill here perfectly, or someone who knows how to sing in his style.
the guitars sounded great, the rhythm and bass worked together well and sounded good, though the bass was a little indistinct (use a pick) and the drums were a let down, you need a good drum sound for metal!  
the little Maiden style lead guitar solo was good, it broke up the beat and added colour.

Embarrassed  now hit me...

Actually, the intro was stuck on... it's all in the mix, and I'm still learning about mixing.

The vox were all improvised in a single take - and that was my first ever attempt at singing rock. I was trying to sound like a typical rock singer of the time - listen to Holocaust demos and you'll see what I was aiming at. I don't use Antares or any other form of voice correction, and refuse to, as I can hear it at work, and hate the synthetic sound. Give me an old-fashioned out-of-tune voice any time (all singers sing flat, but good/experienced ones know how to hide that).

I agree, though... they were very bad. I'm actually a fully trained and experienced singer of classical styles including oratorio and opera, and have performed many big solos, including Count Almaviva in "Le Nozze di Figaro" - but as a rock singer, I know I suck - but now I've started working on it, I may improve - you never know Wink

The drums need mixing - they're all loops.

I did use a pick on the bass - the original mix (19d) was too bass heavy, and I over-compensated when I remixed.

Between the lines, though, it looked like you enjoyed the song despite its flaws, and your comments are well taken and helpful - and I may well go back and do more remixing. Maybe I can even improve my rock vocals LOL

Never heard Tubeway Army- were they big in England? Or underground punk. If the Numan is Gary Numan his pop stuff put out in the 80's was certainly heard over here.

You need to get out from under the headphones- very bad mixing levels, especially on the repetitive lead riff (was that a synth on the original). As always good playing. Some of the drums sound real and some sound synthetic. Do you use two different was to get your drums. Your vocal suited the song.

It's difficult to get away from the cans - I have a 4 year-old daughter, and can only mix my music after she's gone to bed.

The drums are all loops taken from the same live drumming session - and all badly mixed!

The lead line is, guess what, badly mixed - I know. I only got 2 out of the 4 sections mixed to my satisfaction; the 2 heavy guitar sections that frame the verses and the spoken sections. The vox are way too far back in the mix - Wow - a good comment about my vocal for a change - thanks!

Did you like the song, despite not knowing it? (yes, Gary Numan fronted a band called Tubeway Army before going solo - "Are Friends Electric" was a big hit in the UK in 1979).

cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 05:57

Never heard Tubeway Army- were they big in England? Or underground punk. If the Numan is Gary Numan his pop stuff put out in the 80's was certainly heard over here.

You need to get out from under the headphones- very bad mixing levels, especially on the repetitive lead riff (was that a synth on the original). As always good playing. Some of the drums sound real and some sound synthetic. Do you use two different was to get your drums. Your vocal suited the song.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 05:46
hi Mark, heres my critique of the "test 19" song, no comments about the sound quality as you requested ( i must advise though that using electrical equipment in a bathroom is potentially dangerous..Wink).

i liked the Metallica-style intro, though it seemed disjointed from the main song, as if it were stuck on.  overall the song  is a good song, even though i couldn't understand a single word - the vocals were awful - reminiscent of  a drunken karaoke night, out of tune, strained, embarrassingly bad. the song justifies a good singer(s), which is the most important element(s) of a band, i suggest Bruce would fit the bill here perfectly, or someone who knows how to sing in his style.
the guitars sounded great, the rhythm and bass worked together well and sounded good, though the bass was a little indistinct (use a pick) and the drums were a let down, you need a good drum sound for metal!  
the little Maiden style lead guitar solo was good, it broke up the beat and added colour.

Embarrassed  now hit me...

Edited by mystic fred - July 27 2008 at 05:53
Prog Archives Tour Van
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 05:33
Yep, my download limit includes streamingOuch
Well, it's occurred to me my thrash metal rhythm chops I had 6-7 months ago that allowed me to play very intense stuff is not quite there anymore at allEmbarrassed
I'm still very tied up with another musical project with friends, and I always like to cheap my lead chops in good shape, so time for really really practicing intense technical thrash rhythm wont be available for many months in fact.
Given that, I'll make more of a compromise I guess. Expect that my riffing will be no more technical than the early 80s thrash stuff of Kill 'Em All, Bonded By Blood and all those old records, but you can be sure the soloing is more modern sounding than that era, so audiences get to hear a blend of early and later periods of thrash in my up coming songs, so hopefully overall it comes out as sounding a bit different to stuff that was just strictly based on one era per recordThumbs%20Up

ACID crashed on you, ouchy!
I'm using Acoustica Beatcraft for drums and a mix of Audacity and Acoustica Mixcraft for direct guitar recording purposes.
The Acoustica stuff is nothing fancy, cheap programs that get the job done. For bass guitar, it's Guitar Pro 5Embarrassed
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 05:17
^Does your download limit include streaming?

I was supposed to be mixing - thanks for all your helpful comments via PM, Kevin - but for some reason, inspired by Cobb2, I put together a cover instead, and have posted it to MySpace (temporarily - I think that I might be breaking the copyright rules!).

It's a cover of Tubeway Army's "Are Friends Electric", and it's riddled with all the mixing issues you get when you mix using headphones.

Once I'd laid down a clean and distorted version of the vocals (annoyingly, I lost the clean version of the "spoken" bits when ACID crashed on me), I played with the riffs, and have recorded about 6 variations that work - but in this case, I opted to stick with some that were close to the original. I may well post the uptempo version later - it's quite interesting!

I also added effects (but not quite enough!) to mimic some of the synth sounds Numan used, and try to capture the essence of the piece, but in a more Metal kind of style.

Anyway, it's what I could achieve in 4 hours, so check it out; www.myspace.com/bludgeoningspawn

Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 05:11
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Fred- The password is at the top of the page.

...silly me Embarrassed

Edited by mystic fred - July 27 2008 at 05:11
Prog Archives Tour Van
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 04:49
Sorry about lack of comments on songs, I've used up my download limit again (well my father probably did:P)
although if I can find a few free hours when no one else is using our computer, I can probably download some more of the posted songs.

Again, no microphone in this corner, so I'll settle for instrumental songs, which means where I would have spent time writing lyrics, I'll put time in with the riffs and solos a bit more.
Me being me, I've decided I'll be aiming more for the mid/late 80s/early 90s more 'serious' and technical thrash style. I'll still take in some older thrash influence, don't get me wrong, but at least on the guitar side of things, expect I'm aiming for the more technical style.
I'm going to start putting together various thrash metal style drum beats soon, in fact maybe after this post I'll begin doing that, and see where that takes me.
None of the bass parts or drum parts will be played by humans, that will all be computer generated of course, but fear not, every single bit of guitar will be me playing, in all it's glory.
Since it's late 80s/early 90s stuff, I'm no longer limited to my JCM800 amp emulation on my amp modelling unit, but will instead be using the various Mesa Boogie amp simulations on offer which also have the side benefit of allowing me to use the same gain levels as the JCM 800 model with 20-30 per cent less hum. For leads, I am yet to decide whether I go for the Mesa Boogie amps or the Soldano SLO-100 amp model, the SLO being my favorite lead tone from my amp modeller.
Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2008 at 10:55
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

For a site with so many reviewers, you'd think there'd be plenty who'd want to review their fellow members' music - perhaps it just feels a bit more uncomfortable to review peers (who will probably answer back!) instead of "gods" who probably won't.

Good point.

Also, It's possible that PA members only wish to review the kind of music they personally listen to.

A "Metal Head" might not be interested in evaluating a non-metal song, either because they don't like that style of music OR they don't know what features to "look" for, either good or bad.

Cert, you've always been very good about being willing to review other's tunes Clap

Thank you Wink

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2008 at 10:20
^I can't see why envy should even be an issue - I often find it easier to pick holes in music by people who are loads more talented than me Evil%20Smile

For a site with so many reviewers, you'd think there'd be plenty who'd want to review their fellow members' music - perhaps it just feels a bit more uncomfortable to review peers (who will probably answer back!) instead of "gods" who probably won't.

I'll try to be a bit more diligent about reviewing other's music after this, but I've created a Garageband site for Bludgeoning Spawn, http://www.garageband.com/artist/bludgeoningspawn  and will have to do a ton of reviews over there to get reviews from them - 30 reviews per song I want reviewed Pinch.
Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 15:22

They are a pretty pathetic lot here when it comes to getting feedback.

Ha...you noticed Wink
I got some PA members to post great feedback on my tunes ...but that was November 2007.

Is everybody afraid of offending ?

Either that OR it's a case of envy... User "X" has lousy songs & does not want to admit that User "Y" has enormous talent and great music.

Edited by Utah Man - July 25 2008 at 15:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>