Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo punk killed the prog did it ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Poll Question: in your part of the world was punk ever popular ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [22.73%]
41 [62.12%]
10 [15.15%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 18:40
Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

seems like a variation on this same topic pops up about once every 2 weeks here, what's the obsession folks? 
True that  ...  Next time I will do a Dream Theater or Rush poll I promise  Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 18:43
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

seems like a variation on this same topic pops up about once every 2 weeks here, what's the obsession folks? 
True that  ...  Next time I will do a Dream Theater or Rush poll I promise  Wink

LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 18:52
To some extent prog did survive the impact of punk and its own commercialization (remember Genesis or Owner of A Lonely Heart or Asia) and in 80s almost every great band of the 70s had its well-appreciated come back (Yes, ABWH, Pink Floyd, Genesis) and neoprog was really strong these days (at least Marillion with Fish)... but then it vanished - came the grunge, the hip hop and suddenly all the music from the 70s became 'oldies' - maybe these are the times when the myth of pure punk killing the corrupted prog came into existence?
yet you still have time!
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 19:01
Originally posted by Your Lame Sister Your Lame Sister wrote:

Prog was bound to kill itself anyway, punk just helped it. when prog bands started releasing crap like 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' and 'Wind & Wuthering', they were practically sealing their own fate.

I loved Wind and the Wuthering, it's a great album. Blood on the Rooftops and ...In That Quiet Earth are classic Genesis songs. Tales was pretentious, no doubt about it. Personally i hate it. But it wasn't prog's major downfall. In fact, prog never had a downfall: thanks to bands like Pendragon and Marillion it was kept very much alive.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 19:31
It's funny how we love to talk about how "punk killed prog"... it may have or have not killed its mainstream appeal.... but killed it? What are we then? Necrophiliacs????Confused
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 20:03
another thing we forget is that  Punk, at least the early British incarnation and American 'proto punk', is almost as old as Prog - it nearly paralleled it, developing right around the time of Prog's musical peak in the early 70s (if not earlier) - so in hindsight it was really just another new, innovative voice in rock that came, succeeded, and went, and wasn't too much different in spirit from the rock 'n roll of bands as the Kinks and even Hamburg-era Beatles.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 20:06
very true David. Have some clappies.. ClapClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 07:14
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Continues to this days? I don't believe, Punk doesn't exist anymore.

In the same way that people who are not Prog afficionados believe Prog doesn't exist any more.

Love...That was the principal excuse for lyrics since The Beatles that the punks hated so much, but no Punk ever made intelligent Political lyrics like Pink Floyd or Genesis, only ranting with no sense.

As you've obviously heard every Punk band, I bow to your superior knowledge of Punk lyrics.

I honestly believe Punk is dead and buried,. ony survives in small circles of young kids who play Punk because it's easy, but when they learn, they change to other genres.

As you've already said Punk didn't make it to Peru in the first place so it must seem dead... If I ever learn to play more complicated music than Punk, I'll make that change!

Prog is alive and growing, Punk is vanishing completely.

Prog is alive and growing. So is Punk.

Iván

"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 08:00
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

In the same way that people who are not Prog afficionados believe Prog doesn't exist any more.

The difference is that in some form I also follow the information about both genres, there are more than 100 Festivals exclusively for Prog, Punk is playing mostly in similar Festivals as Lollapallooza, in which the share the stage with Alternative, Indie, Country, Singer Song Weitting, Punk (A dilluted form of Punk), etc, etc,. etc.plus McDonalds, Burgers King, etc.

Ptog is getting more and more commercial (in the good sense that some bands are having success), while any derivative form of Punk is getting more and more underground.

As you've obviously heard every Punk band, I bow to your superior knowledge of Punk lyrics.

Of course not, but there are general terms, Punk was maninly anatchist, and for what I heard (And is in a decent amount) and read about (Which is more), all of it is ranting.

As you've already said Punk didn't make it to Peru in the first place so it must seem dead... If I ever learn to play more complicated music than Punk, I'll make that change!

Never said it didn't reached Perú absolutely, I said it wasn't massive, but there were some bands like Sociedad de Mierda (Sh!t Society), Anarquía (Anarquism) and the most iconic band Leusemia (Badly written because it's Leucemia) who sold 10,000 copies (Gold record in Perú, because they gave the album with a newspaper as bonus) is called A la Mierda con lo Demás (To the sh*t with the rest).

The own director of one of this bands told me most guys of the Punk scenario, left Punk when they learned to play, now you can visit his site LEUSEMIA (The authors of A la Mierda lo Demás and the only relatively successful Punk band here, the ones who hated everybody) and today it says "Official Progressive Website DeadDeadDead http://www.leusemia.com/home.html they claim Sex Pistols Roxy Music, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd as influences LOLLOLLOL

Prog is alive and growing. So is Punk.

Tell me how many commercial Punk bands in the line of the founders of the genre (lets say The Pistols) are appearing now, I'm sure they are very few, because Punk dilluted itself in the late 70's.

If you knew the amount of albums this site receives every month, you'd be surprised, and all from bands that are commercially able to at least survive.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 20 2008 at 08:04

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 11:16
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

How about one on Dream Theater and Rush killing prog? Tongue

I am getting a little deja vu here.  I got into prog around the same time punk was in fashion.  But even though way too many prog artists came down with commercialitis, there were still many others carrying on making good music and new arrivals as well.  I did most certainly lose interest in those that went astray.  What's really surprised me was the resurgence of prog in the '90's.  Many artists out there which I did not become aware of until this decade.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 14:27

I honestly believe Punk is dead and buried,. ony survives in small circles of young kids who play Punk because it's easy, but when they learn, they change to other genres.

Prog is alive and growing, Punk is vanishing completely.

Iván

when I see people talk about Punk around here I can only assume they got their insight from some VH1 special, makes me want to stab my eyes out with a pencil, strangely enough I can find literally hundreds of bands on the ProgArchives that come from a Punk/Hardcore lineage (and have gone on to either broaden the scope of Punk, or have  moved  on to play other musics while still retaining the ethics/politics/aesthetic/DIY-tactics they learned from Punk)

can't people just accept the fact that there has been so much cross pollination of genres over the past 30 years it becomes quite silly to talk music in such B/W terms anymore?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 14:43

when I see people talk about Punk around here I can only assume they got their insight from some VH1 special, makes me want to stab my eyes out with a pencil

amen to that...  same with what I like to call the Kansas paradox in these situations...  to many outside our little prog community Kansas are considered as nothing more than an AOR band.  As defenders of the prog faith though.. we love to put those people down as being ignorant of prog.. yet.. we are far too ready to do to the same to other forms of music with insight that simply is as incorrect as those on the outside of prog are about prog.

stabbing eyes out with pencils?  sh*t....  seen it too many times ... 

Edited by micky - July 20 2008 at 14:44
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 14:46
Two points:
1. If Prog is dead and never returned then we are here praising a defunct, right? Confused
2. If Prog died and later resurrected then we are here as part of a new religion, right? Tongue

Punk was never great in Brazil (we used to be the 3rd market in music sales, after USA and Japan - now I don't know) but punk-influenced pop-biased new-age-styled music was a fad here in the 80s, labeled B-Rock. Since the 90s B-Rock bands have changed and those more talented (IMO) went to work in a spectrum varying from hard-rock to Brazilian music... the others simply vanished. Some bands that started with that "punk" mannerism are now prog and included in the ProgArchives!!!Big%20smile 
spookytooth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 14:48
Asking whether or not Punk killed Prog is like asking whether or not Grunge killed Hair Metal: the answer is no. People's taste in music changes over time...

Would you like some Bailey's?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 14:52
Anyone else seen SLC Punk? It kinda makes me laugh. Anarchist punks love to form half-baked philosophies that aren't coherent or viable. Sure there are probably punk bands out there whose lyrics don't sound like rantings of a half-retarded high school dropout, but the majority slams the see-saw into the ground, flinging the small group of smart punk bands into the stratosphere.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 15:25

when I see people talk about Punk around here I can only assume they got their insight from some VH1 special, makes me want to stab my eyes out with a pencil, strangely enough

I never see VH1 or care about it, I get my information from reliable sources and personal experience, if you want to listen that Punk wasgreat and will last for eternity, it's not truth. Truth Punk was ephemerous, before a year they were blending with mainstream to create that hybrid called New Age.

After that, you could expect anything, the great acts they criticized so much, were being assumed by them, go to Punk 77 ad they say that Glam was the worst tragedy after Prog but sooon Blondie and Missing Persons were doing exactly that glam and calling themmselves Punk with the acceptance of the Punk experts.

If you want to stab your eyes, don't blame me, just follow the story of Punk.

I can find literally hundreds of bands on the ProgArchives that come from a Punk/Hardcore lineage (and have gone on to either broaden the scope of Punk, or have  moved  on to play other musics while still retaining the ethics/politics/aesthetic/DIY-tactics they learned from Punk)

They can't blend with Prog and maitain the original politic or ethic of Punk, that's a natural contradiction.

Elaborate music, longer than 3 minutes, with complex changes goes against anything what Punk represents, in the moment they blend with a genre that bases it's existence in exactly everything they hated, they become a hybrid that no longer can be called Punk. They may come from the original lineage, butthey are no longer a natural sub-product of Punk, the something totally different.

How in hell if they say:

Know thine enemy. While Glam at least was proving some light relief from bands who had grown massive like the Stones, Who and Led Zeppelin there were an even more pretentious wave of bands who espoused the view that rock was serious and who were dominating the serious weekly music papers. Prog-Rock was  mostly listened to by grubby polytechnic students who wore flares and dufflecoats and never had any girlfriends and who would sit cross-legged at gigs on the floor bonged out of their brains. They would gather in bedsits drinking coffee out of chipped mugs and ponder the meaning of the universe while listening to Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator, Camel, Gentle Giant, Caravan, Greenslade and a thousand others. These people knew what they wanted ..lots of windswept guitar histrionics, gushing key boards, lyrics full of mystical allusions and song titles bearing no relation to the music and almost as long as the music itself ! As you read these you can see why punk had to happen. Weighed own by the weight of its own pretensions the scene was set for someone to point out that the emperor in fact had no clothes on. Read on and learn the horrible truth..........

If they blend with their enemy, with the ones that destroyed real music (according to them), they are betraying all their roots, all their ethics, you can't claim they carry the essence of Punk, they betrayed it and ceased to be real Punks, that's just logic. 

BTW: Prog77 is the biggest and ,most respected Punk site, not VH1. Wink

can't people just accept the fact that there has been so much cross pollination of genres over the past 30 years it becomes quite silly to talk music in such B/W terms anymore?

Yes, but in this three decades, some genres almost ceased to exist due to their own contradoictions, Prog was aboutto fall in that path around 1978, but Neo Prog and then Symphonic Renaissance, rescued the genre from oblivion, Punk was not able to do that IMO.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 20 2008 at 15:27

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 15:50

[QUOTE=mithrandir]

I never see VH1 or care about it, I get my information from reliable sources and personal experience, if you want to listen that Punk wasgreat and will last for eternity, it's not truth. Truth Punk was ephemerous, before a year they were blending with mainstream to create that hybrid called New Age.

After that, you could expect anything, the great acts they criticized so much, were being assumed by them, go to Punk 77 ad they say that Glam was the worst tragedy after Prog but sooon Blondie and Missing Persons were doing exactly that glam and calling themmselves Punk with the acceptance of the Punk experts.

They can't blend with Prog and maitain the original politic or ethic of Punk, that's a natural contradiction.

Elaborate music, longer than 3 minutes, with complex changes goes against anything what Punk represents, in the moment they blend with a genre that bases it's existence in exactly everything they hated, they become a hybrid that no longer can be called Punk. They may come from the original lineage, butthey are no longer a natural sub-product of Punk, the something totally different.

you have a mindset of Punk and its mainstream impact, Im talking in its entirety, you make it seem like Punk started with THe Sex Pistols and for a long time there was nothing........until the Nirvana! How naive can one be?  ever hear of Black Flag, the Minutemen, Swell Maps, Pere Ubu, Family Fodder, Axegrinder, Man Is the b*****d, Boredoms, Ruins, Fugazi, Racebannon, Neurosis, Sun City Girls, etc?...all bands IMO that have pushed the boundaries of Punk, yes many of these bands are tight and complex and have songs longer than 3 mins (and still claim to be just a Punk or Hardcore band), but thats just a few examples...so Im not sure what you're talking about and Im kind of making a wasted point if all you're going to argue is Punk = Sex Pistols and nothing more
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 15:58

you have a mindset of Punk and its mainstream impact, Im talking in its entirety, you make it seem like Punk started with THe Sex Pistols and for a long time there was nothing........until the Nirvana! How naive can one be?  ever hear of Black Flag, the Minutemen, Swell Maps, Pere Ubu, Family Fodder, Axegrinder, Man Is the b*****d, Boredoms, Ruins, Fugazi, Racebannon, Neurosis, Sun City Girls, etc?...all bands IMO that have pushed the boundaries of Punk, yes many of these bands are tight and complex and have songs longer than 3 mins (and still claim to be just a Punk or Hardcore band), but thats just a few examples...so Im not sure what you're talking about and Im kind of making a wasted point if all you're going to argue is Punk = Sex Pistols and nothing more

Honestly af6ter New Age, Post Punk, Glam Punk, Pop Punk, Grunge, Alternative, EMO, I lost the track where punk was going towards, but all of them claim to be the bew Punk movement.

They can claim whatever they want, but they don't follow the ethincs and style of the opioneers and in this case I go back to the 60's Garage bands and MOD movement who are the prececessors of Punk.

They can claim whatever they want, but IMO they have turned into a cliché.

Read the responses, most people outside UK and New York were never really impacted by Punk, not even in the third biggest market like Brazil.

Just take a listen, how many bands sound exactly to the Prog pioneers, and youi'll find hundreds...Then ask yourself how many Punk bands sound exactly like the pioneers...Very few.

BTW: You omited the comments of Punk77.

BTWII: Haven't mentioned the S4ex Pistols in my last post not even once...You're the one bringing them in. LOL

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 20 2008 at 16:20

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 16:30
One of the really interesting things about this issue is how the rise, fall and evolution of punk parallels that of prog. From three-chord garage bands in the early 60's, through Iggy Pop, MC5 and The Who (as much, if not more, proto-punk as proto-prog), there's as much history to punk rock as there is to progressive rock. The term was used by music critics as early as 1970, a full six years before the apogee of the genre (again similar to prog). The genre enjoyed a relatively short golden era, just as prog did - though shorter.

Pretty soon its critics claimed it died (just as critics claim prog died), but in reality it became another genre of rock, no longer in the limelight but still very much alive. Hardcore and New Wave evolved from 'classic' punk, the latter tying melodic and mainstream sensibilities to the genre a la neo-prog, and post-punk (my particular favourite) emerged in the early 1980s. Today punk is very much alive through bands as diverse as Green Day (pop-punk), Yellowcard, Good Charlotte - bands many fans from the 'classic' mid-70s period might not call punk, but they are as true to the pioneering late 60s and early 70s sound as the Sex Pistols ever were. The punk community even has arguments like ours - Green Day and even The Ramones supposedly became commercial, 'selling out' for the money (god forbid we ever think the Sex Pistols did anything for money!), in just the same way and with as much passion as many proggers think Genesis sold out in the late 70s.

Punk Rock is a vibrant genre that keeps itself alive through the dedication of its fans (including websites similar to this one), and the continual willingness of musicians everywhere to take a sound they love and experiment with it. Punk isn't dead and neither is prog. One didn't kill the other, despite a few paranoid media claims to the contrary. In fact, such musical evolution keeps people in love with popular music (I mean the wider term, not just 'pop'). Without punk and other developments, the world would have lost interest in rock and moved on to something else. Rather than killing prog, punk and the like kept rock alive.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 18:37
^ nice... very nice...Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>