FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg and the younger generation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog and the younger generation
    Posted: July 27 2008 at 10:40
I find it funny that among teenagers prog is unknown.And I'm the only exception being 15.Many only recognize Genesis with Phil Collins,many only know Yes's ''Owner of a Lonely Heart''.They only know these great prog bands for the poppy stuff they did in the 80's and they primarily think of them as that one band from that one song.They don't know that before Phil Collins,Peter Gabriel was lead singer and making great music.And they don't know Yes was making classics like ''Roundabout''. 
  It seems everyone is trapped in mainstream stuff.
So heres a question is progressive music dead among the youth of today?

Edited by ziggystardust360 - July 27 2008 at 10:45
''I always had the repulsive need to be something other than human''-David Bowie
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 10:49
No. I don't think the number of teenagers who turn to prog (or just listen - you don't have to really be converted to a kind of music, for crying out loud) isn't outright negative.

If plainly at the level of experience, I've got no prog friend in my hometown, so in my close life, but overall have corresponded with numerous young proggers.
Luke. J View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 11:07
As progressive rock is not really the mainstream compatible music today, the genre is totally unknown among the youth, as most of the old bands are too (well, beside of the dusty disks and LPs on the parent's shelf).  I myself only know one person who also listens to progressive music.

Plus, the progressive metal genre increases the popularity among teenagers, too. I by myself got into prog music with Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation, many metal fans in my area have at least heard of Opeth or Therion. To answer the original question in a short manner: No.
TheGreatNothing View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 11:32
No, I don't think that it is dead and I believe that it is growing steadily. Many progressive bands that have somewhat more mainstream appeal, such as Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, are getting more popular and getting more exposure to kids who need something different from the normal mainstream drivel.

As a young person myself, I realized that I really didn't like what I was listening to and rejected the music of my generation and look backward for something better. All it took was a few listens to a somewhat more mainstream prog band Rush to get me set straight on the path of prog. Ever since then I have converted many of my friends to listening to prog and other prog related bands. I don't find that the word Progressive has the negative connotation that it once held long ago. When I tell people that I listen to prog they just accept it and move on.

I think that prog is not dead with today's youth, it's just in a different form and presentation then it was thirty years ago.
Roundabot View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 12:17
No, that's not true, I'm 16 and I love prog since I'm 14 and also I knew this incredible music for the big bands of the seventies and then I started to listen to the newer bands mostly because I found them in the archives. So no prog is not dead among the youth of today, because if I know and love prog music here in South America I guess that in Europe they must be more young prog fans, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The Start of Something Beautiful...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 12:24
im 17 and i love prog. So no.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 12:24
Don't be silly, this web site was where I learned there is a whole new generation of prog fans, not quite like the older one...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 13:27
Originally posted by Luke. J Luke. J wrote:

As progressive rock is not really the mainstream compatible music today, the genre is totally unknown among the youth, as most of the old bands are too (well, beside of the dusty disks and LPs on the parent's shelf).  I myself only know one person who also listens to progressive music.

Plus, the progressive metal genre increases the popularity among teenagers, too. I by myself got into prog music with Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation, many metal fans in my area have at least heard of Opeth or Therion. To answer the original question in a short manner: No.

This pretty much sums up my situation also. However, i am luckier than some people here and have several friends who listen to progressive rock or traditional rock (deep purple, led zeppelin, the who, etc), some of them influenced by me (something i am very proud of is bringing people to the progressive rock sideBig%20smile).

Also, i was brought to dig deeper in the progressive rock world because of the progressive metal bands (Dream Theater, in my case), who showed me that prog rock was still alive and kicking and that was the exactly same case with my school mate and my friend, who were, together with me, brought back to the prog side by progressive metal.

That is whet i hate the most when people trash prog metal: they don't realize yet the importance of prog metal to the survival of the genre among youngsters.

On a side note, same thing is happening to punk, who almost got banished into oblivion once the punk wave was gone and the punk agenda was absorbed by the mainstream media, making it look the opposite of what it once was.
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 13:37
Porcupine Tree, Tool, The Mars Volta, King Crimson, Meshuggah, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon, Opeth, Radiohead, Dream Theater, Between the Buried and Me, Behold...the Arctopus, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Oceansize, Sigur Ros, Kayo Dot, Three, Pelican, Isis, Devin Townsend, The Tangent, Ayreon, No-Man, Riverside, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

....My point is, Yes and Genesis may be dying a slow and painful death as of 2008, but prog is not. Progress or die!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 13:46
A poll was taken of forum members ages, some time ago, and I think the 15 - 20 year olds were the majority. If that is any measure, then no. Prog is not dead among the young.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 14:15
Hey! I'm 14! And I have a great collection of Prog.

Though, I agree with you. In my country, most of my friends hate english, since they don't understand it, and they consider it boring. And this is just English Pop, Hard Rock, Alt rock. Cause they've never heard Prog.
They stay with the Fashion Music, the music that "everyone" likes, also to show girls they listen to that music and well...blah, blah..

Also, teens, consider just music to have fun, and for them that's just Electronic, Reggaeton(the worst genre ever existed, not to be confused with Reggae), Cumbia(another disaster for the human kind), and some others.

There's really few teens like me, 13, 14, 15, 16, that have knowledge about English(I mean english cause it's really rare someone knows without being in PA, Magma, Italian Prog, etc).

And it's really not the Language problem, just cause the majority don't like/know it, they won't listen to it, because it's not mainstream or whatever. Even if I show them a Prog band from here, they'll reject it and laugh about it.

People that go with Fashion = Close Minded = main problem of teens of today that don't listen to Prog or at least 70's, 60's music.
Roundabot View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 15:23
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Also, teens, consider just music to have fun, and for them that's just Electronic, Reggaeton(the worst genre ever existed, not to be confused with Reggae), Cumbia(another disaster for the human kind), and some others.

The sad truth of south americaCry

In my country is worst, THEY ONLY LISTEN TO THAT WRATH OF HUMANITY THAT IS REAGGETON!!!!!

Wost thing in human kinds history (well at leat musically talking)!!!!!

And also cumbia music is taking control of Peru now, WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING WITH THE WORLD!!!!

The Start of Something Beautiful...
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 15:44
So what if they just want to have fun? Not everyone has to be a music nerd and get excited every time they hear the name "Steve"...

Anyway, I think this topic is rather funny because the largest age group on this site is the teens. I know plenty of kids who are 14 or so who listen to prog (most of them think they're superior to everyone, also...).
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 15:47
oh boy, you guys from spanish america cry over nothing. If Cumbia, Samba and traditional genres of music alike were the only problem, along with the americanized raggaeton, the problem would have been a pain in the ass, but still small. I know, because in my home state i have the same problem.

The problem is the trash that comes from other parts of the globe and other parts of my country. Take the 'funk carioca' and its sub genres, the horrible pagode that was forced down our throats during the 90's along with the freaking terrible 'axé music', the damn techno brega and the Calipso, the incredible amount of horrible and uninspired 'MPB' artists of today, the painfully untalented 'artists' and 'musicians' that insist in destroy our lives making 'music' and, of course, the brazilian rappers, DJs, and techno DJs.

Luckily Brazil is a big, great and fine land, where the abundance is enormous in both sides of the spectrum: there is an enormous amount of trash and a enormous amount of goodies. Thumbs%20Up And thats why i praise the Lord i was born here.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 15:58
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

So what if they just want to have fun? Not everyone has to be a music nerd and get excited every time they hear the name "Steve"...

Anyway, I think this topic is rather funny because the largest age group on this site is the teens. I know plenty of kids who are 14 or so who listen to prog (most of them think they're superior to everyone, also...).

I can't understand that 'superiority' feeling . . . .Seriously. OK, i gotta agree that some songs are absolutely ridiculous, but thats no reason to downgrade the whole genre. . .
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 16:25
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

So what if they just want to have fun? Not everyone has to be a music nerd and get excited every time they hear the name "Steve"...Anyway, I think this topic is rather funny because the largest age group on this site is the teens. I know plenty of kids who are 14 or so who listen to prog (most of them think they're superior to everyone, also...).

Who said that its' bad to have fun. What I said was that TEENS FOLLOW FASHION and THEY GET CLOSE MINDED AT CAUSE OF MAINSTREAM AND FASHION.

I love to dance and have fun with music. And not because my friends don't like my music I won't be their friends, but I sometimes get angry when they just wanna play that music to show girls that they're "updated to fashion"

You said that I felt superior, even though not directly, in a subtle way. I don't feel superior, sometimes I feel the opposite, I feel like I'm the only dumb teen boy that listens to 20 min music and not listening to dance music all day.

Hope I've been clear enough.
soggybomb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 16:56
Originally posted by ziggystardust360 ziggystardust360 wrote:

I find it funny that among teenagers prog is unknown.And I'm the only exception being 15.Many only recognize Genesis with Phil Collins,many only know Yes's ''Owner of a Lonely Heart''.They only know these great prog bands for the poppy stuff they did in the 80's and they primarily think of them as that one band from that one song.They don't know that before Phil Collins,Peter Gabriel was lead singer and making great music.And they don't know Yes was making classics like ''Roundabout''. 
  It seems everyone is trapped in mainstream stuff.
So heres a question is progressive music dead among the youth of today?

No (at least not completely).  I am 16 and my friends and I all listen to prog in all senses of the word (noticed a lot of debates about that here).  Whether it be the classic art rock guys from the 70's to progressive metal to experimental music to jazz fusion, we enjoy it all. 
Without music life would be a mistake. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Wade View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 17:51
To answer your question, no.

However, my generation has it's own "art" music, just as prog was the art music of the '70s, and this is why many kids my age don't listen to classic prog.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 18:33
Yes. The youth of today only knows about Lil' Wayne. Absolutely 100% of all the world prog-lovers are members of PA...Tongue
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 18:38
There's a poll here somewhere that shows that the vast majority of people on this website are "young people".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>