Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Progresive Metal Categories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these categories has the best ring to it?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.04%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.70%]
4 [17.39%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Progresive Metal Categories
    Posted: July 28 2008 at 12:44
A bit of fun, but alos intended to learn about bands (I still don't know much metal though I know a fair amount of avant bands that incorporate metal)....

Which of these categories has the nicest ring to it (the vague poll question because I can't think of a better one right now), and which would would you like to see as a way of helping you to find music of interest?

The Progressive Metal category was split into Experimental/ Post Metal, Progressive Metal, and Tech/ Extreme Prog Metal, but more categories were envisioned.  Would have like more options (rather keen on Prog Minimalist Metal personally) -- teamed Slash and Thrash for space.  Most of the options are bases on existing non-metal categories in the archives (rather for fun).  I was thinking of asking for very experimental Krautmetal recommendations the other day.

This is meant to be a fun poll, but if you can mention some progressive metal bands that are influenced by Canterbury Scene, Rock in Opposition, Krautrock, Space Metal etc., I'd appreciate it.  I'm in the mood for some Raga Metal right now!

I already know a fair amount of Folk Metal.  I do like Jazz Metal (used the term Metal Fusion next to Jazz Metal, which would mean that it could be metal fused with anything really -- just thought that term had a ring to it, even if not useful -- we have Eclectic Metal there -- so don't take it too seriously).

I haven't put this in "Help us improve the site" because I'm not making terribly serious suggestions here, but I do think it could be a fun way to learn about progressive metal bands, and prog metal (especially helpful for those who list examples).
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Luke. J View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 14:10
Symphonic Prog Metal, for I sure like this kind of it Wink
Jabberwocky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 14:50
Superb poll.
Voted for Prog Metal Related. Prog-Core would also be great! Thumbs%20Up
The only ****ing way out of here is through the rooftop (c) Dolph Lundgren
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 15:01
One day I'll have a website with these weird categories... (or tags, as Mike would agree and probably already has implemented Tongue)... For the time being, let's just say that most bands in these genres would be able to fit in one of the three we already have... and that many bands that would fit in these 291287 genres listed here would never make it in PA, either by rejection of the team or by rejection of the thousands of metal-is-not-prog thinkers....  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 15:36
I tend to agree with metal not being progressive metal 9same with rock), but find it laughable if people claim that no metal is progressive or Prog Metal is a not a true category.  Metal is a subgenre of rock and progressve metal is a subgenre of metal.  I see no reason, unless one thinks Prog can only describe a certian style of music in the late 60's - 70s, that metal cannot be Prog.

Of course I support multi-tagging, and would like trees to show relations between bands/ major styles, and if it were easy to implement, I expect that the Prog Metal "subgenres" would be under the master category of Prog Metal, but this topic is kind of for fun, but also for learning about bands placements.  I'm also hoping that it will be as a useful PA guide for finding metal bands.  Here's a neat one not in the archives for Raga-Metal (psyche metal/ rock from Japan, and therefore would probably find itself in pysche if included):

Originally posted by <a href=http://www.aquariusrecords.org/cat/japannoisefreepsych11.html target=_blank>http://www.aquariusrecords.org/cat/japannoisefreepsych11.html</a> http://www.aquariusrecords.org/cat/japannoisefreepsych11.html wrote:

Artist: MAGIC AUM GIGI
Title: Starring Keiko
Label: FRACTAL (FRANCE)
Format: LP
Price: $26.00
Catalog #: FRAC 189LP
"Magic Aum Gigi 2nd solo album after his first raga-metal-drone opus My Metal Machine Music released in 2004 on SSW label. Started since 3 years, this new project due to be released on CD by a Japanese label has finally saw a terminal issue on vinyl produced by Fractal. Starring Keiko with its pastiche cover from Ash Ra Tempel 5th album is a deep cosmic 'Chant d'Amour' concept album turned around an ensemble of 4 tracks for 4 instruments: a piece for Jew's harp, a piece for voice, a piece for synthesizer and a piece for guitar. Space music, highly repetitive. Limited numbered vinyl edition of 200 copies."

Been meaning to check out some Norwegian Reggaecore Black Raga Prog Metal.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 15:43
Symphonic Prog Metal LOL
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 15:59
Id like to hear more Psychedelic/Space metal almost as much as would Jazz metal/ metal fusion.
Space metal is already happening with bands like Rosetta making "metal for astronauts"
same with jazz metal (some elements of meshuggah, Yakuza, Intronaut, and Dillinger Escape Plan are heavily jazz)
I want more of these!
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 17:14
Jazz metal is a popular tag believe it or not. I use it all the time, and it is a great genre btw. That could easily be a sub here.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 17:32
You forgot one genre: DEATH ZEUHL! Picture Opeth growls except in KobaianLOLLOLLOLLOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 17:47
Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

You forgot one genre: DEATH ZEUHL! Picture Opeth growls except in KobaianLOLLOLLOLLOL

Love it! LOL
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 18:21
Symphonic Prog Metal would be my choice, it's a genre that I think already exists, Vanden Plas' Christ 0 album fits the bill exactly, and also DT's Score (and SFAM) is a sure entry...
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 20:09
Symphonic prog metal=Power metal. Let Stratovarius on the Archives!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 20:30
Avant metal!
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:06
Jazz Metal sounds nice and innovative. Mahavishnu, PMG and Brand X with all the elements of metal? I'd actually buy that!
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 10:16
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

One day I'll have a website with these weird categories... (or tags, as Mike would agree and probably already has implemented Tongue)... For the time being, let's just say that most bands in these genres would be able to fit in one of the three we already have... and that many bands that would fit in these 291287 genres listed here would never make it in PA, either by rejection of the team or by rejection of the thousands of metal-is-not-prog thinkers....  

There isn't much to implement ... indeed all those genres are essentially combinations of simple tags which have existed for a long time on my website. But I really should make some genre pages which list the typical combinations, that would be much more convenient than using the chart builder.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 20:58
I think Canterbury Metal Scene would describe the current jazz fusion genre, but rarely with any sense of humour. 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 21:18
Indo/Raga Metal sounds neat. I've always wanted to hear one of those Sitar masters ripping it up on a down-tuned electric sitar, sat alongside some dude play mechanical blast beats on his bongos.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 21:21
MIO!

Not a bad description of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, actually.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 14:16
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

MIO!

Not a bad description of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, actually.

Forgot about this topic until now.  Though I thought of it independently, not surprisingly, some are using the MIO tag.

Here part of a review from squidco of SGM's In Glorious Times:

http://www.squidco.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=8371

Quote ...Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's third studio release keeps the torch alive on theatrical rock while making their own road. Somehow the band manages to nod to Rock in Opposition (RIO), avant prog, and dark metal with the same set of movements. In fact one review refers to them as Metal In Opposition, and the official review quote from The End Records calls them Rock-against-Rock....

It's also a tag  uded at lastfm for SGM (built/ used by three people ;)) http://www.last.fm/tag/metal+in+opposition

Rock-against-rock is another one used for SGM at lastfm.

Edited by Logan - September 02 2008 at 14:17
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 14:36
Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

Id like to hear more Psychedelic/Space metal almost as much as would Jazz metal/ metal fusion.
Space metal is already happening with bands like Rosetta making "metal for astronauts"

Check out this very nice Space-Metal band: 35007

Smile

Edited by Swan Song - September 02 2008 at 14:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>