Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind vs Kansas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [40.00%]
39 [60.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind vs Kansas
    Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:39
Hmmmmm Great band or ok band???

HAWKWIND IT IS!
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 17:14
Hwkwind of course!!!!!

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 06:15
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Seeing Hawkwind live is an altering experience, so it seems that Kansas is essentially a more proper "studio" oriented favorite while the Hawks are truly FAMOUS for their concert experience. (Space Ritual isn't the only good Live album by the them) . Another aspect that widens the gap even more. Talk about extremes!
Maybe you should check out the new 2008 version of Two For The Show,  I think you will hear why ...  wait  I think somebody already said that ? Confused   

Edited by Yorkie X - August 07 2008 at 06:20
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 21:38
That's true, the fact that Kansas makes regularly noticeable refurbishments of their own studio material is a clear indication that their live activity is the most important aspect of their musical proposal. Labelling as a studio band is missing the point.

I've also read reviews that indicate that the "Two for the Show" recordings are quite loyal to the studio versions, which IMHO is totally inaccurate.

Kind regards.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 10:21
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Seeing Hawkwind live is an altering experience, so it seems that Kansas is essentially a more proper "studio" oriented favorite while the Hawks are truly FAMOUS for their concert experience. (Space Ritual isn't the only good Live album by the them) . Another aspect that widens the gap even more. Talk about extremes!

I don't agree that Kansas is essentially a studio band. They are a great live band as well (judging from the live albums and vidoes that I have). Just listen to Two For The Show Smile
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 09:54
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 09:34
Kansas for me...between Kansas and Two For The Show, they released a string of consistent, innovative albums, the quality of which Hawkwind only touched on here and there....
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 09:16
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

I don’t mind visual aids when they make sense. For example, I think that the pre-filmed material telling the story on The Who’s live performance of Quadrophenia works quite well. Also when the same band had Phil Collins and Elton John (among others) to play different characters on stage in their performance of Tommy. But I don’t like theatrical stuff for no good purpose.

With Hawkwind, however, the theatrical stuff does have a lot of purpose. The recent deluxe rerelease of Space Ritual has in its booklet a lot of notes about the considerations that went into the visual presentation on stage and all the stuff they went through to make sure it matched the music.Wink
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 22:54
Good, great news i should say for HAWKWIND fans.....all their albums from 1976 to 1997 will be re-released   (that's quite a few CDs) within the next 18months, completely remastered and with bonus tracks.Can't wait for ELECTRIC TEPPEE !!!

So be ready, HawkwiseThumbs%20Up
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 10:59
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

yep the Hawks always put on a good show no matter where there playing , always found there Free festival appearance to be the best,  shame those days are no Longer , I hope to be back home in the old country next summer  hope there is a Hawkfest  next year missed it this year,  Also i wonder if the Hawkwind Name will carry on when MR Brock finally  kicks his clogs  

I don't think so, Hawkwise---Brock IS Hawkwind!!!  we just have to hope, his health and love of his band keeps him going, let say...10 more years.Would already be nice!Wink

Another 10 years few that would Make Brock what ? 77 years old  , guess that  can happen some of the old blues guys keep on keeping on so maybe shore would be good
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 10:20

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ooohhhh....

see.... the rest of the rational world ..when they go to a concert they want to have a good time.. enjoy an experience.. and enjoy great music.  If you want to see great musicians alone .. sit your ass on your hands and go see the Boston Pops.... this may be prog.. but is still ROCK AND ROLL brother hahhaha.  Go see Hawkwind once...  you'll see what I mean..

I.............

For those who have seen Pink Floyd’s PULSE live DVD it was probably obvious that I was referring to that one in my last post (with giant video screens showing art films, inflatable pigs and aero planes flying across the auditorium).  

The inflatable dragon reference was to Rick Wakeman’s performance of Journey To the Centre Of the Earth (also on DVD). It probably looked horrible back then, but today it is even worse!!!

I don’t know Boston Pops. Are you referring to the band Boston? Tongue

The difference between the inflatable pigs and the inflatable dragon is there was nothing inflatable with some aspects of Miss Stacia body parts at a Hawkwind concert!LOLWinkWink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 10:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ooohhhh....

see.... the rest of the rational world ..when they go to a concert they want to have a good time.. enjoy an experience.. and enjoy great music.  If you want to see great musicians alone .. sit your ass on your hands and go see the Boston Pops.... this may be prog.. but is still ROCK AND ROLL brother hahhaha.  Go see Hawkwind once...  you'll see what I mean..

I have seen Hawkwind live, but only on DVD Embarrassed   I can’t afford going to a lot of live concerts, but I buy a lot of music DVDs. And almost all my favourite music DVDs are recorded and filmed at a small indoor arena or club with minimal theatrics. Take Yes’ excellent House Of Yes - Live at the House of Blues DVD or Steve Hackett’s excellent DVDs. Fantastic music, and focus on the musicians. That is what I want to see when I watch a live concert.

I don’t mind visual aids when they make sense. For example, I think that the pre-filmed material telling the story on The Who’s live performance of Quadrophenia works quite well. Also when the same band had Phil Collins and Elton John (among others) to play different characters on stage in their performance of Tommy. But I don’t like theatrical stuff for no good purpose.

For those who have seen Pink Floyd’s PULSE live DVD it was probably obvious that I was referring to that one in my last post (with giant video screens showing art films, inflatable pigs and aero planes flying across the auditorium). These theatrical things added nothing for me. Rather they took away from the musical experience. The poor band members looked so small and insignificant in that huge arena, with those mega large screens. The theatrics had taken control of the performers rather than the other way around. I much rather listen to the PULSE live DVD with the TV turned off. It is great music, but the visuals add nothing for me.

Also, such theatrical things often look cheesy after a time. While (some) music may be timeless, just look back into the 70's and 80’s and you will discover some really cheesy stage props that are far from timeless.

The inflatable dragon reference was to Rick Wakeman’s performance of Journey To the Centre Of the Earth (also on DVD). It probably looked horrible back then, but today it is even worse!!!

I don’t know Boston Pops. Are you referring to the band Boston? Tongue

febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 10:00
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

yep the Hawks always put on a good show no matter where there playing , always found there Free festival appearance to be the best,  shame those days are no Longer , I hope to be back home in the old country next summer  hope there is a Hawkfest  next year missed it this year,  Also i wonder if the Hawkwind Name will carry on when MR Brock finally  kicks his clogs  

I don't think so, Hawkwise---Brock IS Hawkwind!!!  we just have to hope, his health and love of his band keeps him going, let say...10 more years.Would already be nice!Wink
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 09:50
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 09:30

When I see a live show I want to see talented musicians playing their instruments. A good light/laser show may well enhance that experience but I never understood the idea of having dancers, fire eaters, jugglers, midgets, fireworks, outrageous costumes and make up, giant inflatable dragons, giant inflatable pigs, giant video screens showing art films, live size aero planes flying across the auditorium etc. etc.

If I want to see that type of thing I go to the circus.

To me it feels like the artist is trying to hide behind all the stage props; maybe to disguise something by using such theatrical devises? The fact that the artist in question lacks enough talent to be able to entertain the audience by himself? This is not always the case of course.

As far as I know, Kansas can really put on a show without having to use any such extra-musical stunts.

ooohhhh....

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 09:22
Ha HA  one the best gigs i ever saw was HAWKWIND playing on a flat bed Truck in Laybye  on the side of the Rd with very little equipment  , 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 03:52

When I see a live show I want to see talented musicians playing their instruments. A good light/laser show may well enhance that experience but I never understood the idea of having dancers, fire eaters, jugglers, midgets, fireworks, outrageous costumes and make up, giant inflatable dragons, giant inflatable pigs, giant video screens showing art films, live size aero planes flying across the auditorium etc. etc.

If I want to see that type of thing I go to the circus.

To me it feels like the artist is trying to hide behind all the stage props; maybe to disguise something by using such theatrical devises? The fact that the artist in question lacks enough talent to be able to entertain the audience by himself? This is not always the case of course.

As far as I know, Kansas can really put on a show without having to use any such extra-musical stunts.

ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 01:43
Originally posted by darksideof darksideof wrote:

I know why some of you guys like Hawkwind more Kansas. Because of Hawkind had the naked ladies onstage! that's all.   

While I still would vote for Hawkwind, naked ladies on stage would certainly have enhanced the Kansas experience.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 21:15
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

Originally posted by darksideof darksideof wrote:

I know why some of you guys like Hawkwind more Kansas. Because of Hawkind had the naked ladies onstage! that's all.   
Thats it I'm convinced now I`m going to vote to for Hawkwind on the strength of the naked ladies on stage.  wait when Kansas play Magnum Opus their is this section called release the beavers ...  I`m switching my vote back to Kansas Wink

You mean the old lady who plays a mean banjo????LOLWink

Edited by febus - August 03 2008 at 21:16
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2008 at 21:14
Veering into the absurd here! Stacia is not Hawkwind ! In the 70s it was very "risque" . Today? Yawn.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>