Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind vs Kansas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [40.00%]
39 [60.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 08:04
Lemmy ... greater than all Kansas put together hahhah

Space Ritual... greater than all Kansas albums put together

has anyone from Kansas inspired these words of wisdom....

(ultracool proghead)Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God?

(member of the PA's dope smokers genre team) Lemmy?

[imitates a game show buzzer]

(geek wearing a  Rush shirt ) God?

Wrong, dickhead, trick question. Lemmy *IS* God.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 08:06
Hawkwind is one of my favourite bands(it's certainly due to Gorgeous Miss Stacia videos!).Actually I
enjoy their hippie style,heavy space rock sound and lyrics.Moreover I always feel away in deep space
or time corridors.But let's give credit to Song for America or Proto Kaw's first recordings(awesome)
and I think that Two for the show new rendition will be one of my next buys.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 08:10
Hawkwind
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 12:18
Hawkwind, but Kansas seems pretty nice to but i havent heard so much from em... still i  have to agree with Micky, Hawkwind hade Lemmy (if only for a few years), thats pretty hard to beat! Wink (im a big Motörhead fan, but who aint?)

Edited by Zargus - July 30 2008 at 12:20
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 14:07
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

This man speaks the truth. Cool
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 16:12
Hawkwind. they've been my favourite band for nearly 30 years.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 17:04
Hey Micky , d'ya know I was lucky to witness the very last Hawkwind gig with Lemmy , twas in Montreal Cegep Maisonneuve (73?-74?) Cant remember exactly but I have read that he was busted the next day and fired by Brock (bad move for Hawkfans but what a new start for Kilminster!) . As I mentioned already, I was unable to listen to anything for 2 days , so deep was the hypnosis. Er r..........and loud.....LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 17:28
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Tough choice but my vote will go for Hawkwind! why???
because when they are good, they are brillant and can bring you in some ''spheres'' not too many bands are able to..
second reason is Hawkwind is still producing quality music nowadays...they had a few stinkers but still came with great, great CDs in the 80s, 90 s and still now. The return of  Davey in the fold with Brock and Bainbridge still guarantees fantastic music ''Take me to the Ladder'', ''Electric teppee'', ''Vortex'' ''Palace Sun'' and others still match the goodies from the 70s.
Kansas on the other hand produced great music as well, but for only a short time---74 to 78-- after that was freefall...
So analyzing their respective carreer, this is 4-5 Kansas great years versus 30 Hawkwind good to great years .

Kansas is now more or less a tribute band of its glorious past...nothing wrong with that.....but Hawkwind is still creating new stuff year after year,.....almost 40 years after their beginning.
So sorry, Yorkie and E-Dub......my vote to the Hawks!. don't beat me upLOL 
 True what  you said!! but those 4 or 5 kansas albums are better that te 30 plus Hawkwind has...
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 17:32

I'm all out of weed so I have no way of enjoying Hawkwind.  I'll take the musicianship and good songs...

It's not really fair anyway, Kansas being one of my very favorite bands.

Signature Writers Guild on strike
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 17:32
Hawkwind  !!!!!!!!  been my fav band since 1974  , Kansas not in the same league  , but don't see how how you can compare really there not at all a like   , 
just google Hawkwind  Discography  such a good and massive body of work over the years , also such a good live act over the years , The Top Festival Band of all Time for Shore   .

SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 18:28

I use Hawkwind's first three albums (whom I rate with one star each) as a low water mark for prog. I have heard a lot of prog from the 70's and these albums are the worst I have ever heard. It cannot get any worse than that!! Badly produced, lack of good musicianship, no melodies, very repetitive songs, a lot of unbearable noise. The drums are the worst. I do like Levitation though with Ginger Baker on drums, but I have no respect for early Hawkwind.

Kansas is a much better band in all respects.

Very strange comparison though.

Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 18:49
Hmmmmmm i love Hawkwind first album in fact i think  the first two are my Fav  Hawkwind  albums

but yes  Very strange comparison to do   but  Kansas a better band than Hawkwind  best Joke i ever heard in my Life thats soooooooooooo funny  !!!! 

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 05:36
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Hmmmmmm i love Hawkwind first album in fact i think  the first two are my Fav  Hawkwind  albums

but yes  Very strange comparison to do   but  Kansas a better band than Hawkwind  best Joke i ever heard in my Life thats soooooooooooo funny  !!!! 

Hawkwind  may not be great musicians to the same level that obviously Kansas are,   Hawkwind are entertaining in a completely different way to Kansas, with some nocturnal activity I'd probably enjoy Hawkwind more (though I would still realise their musicality is far less)  but straight (no weed needed)  Kansas provides a  much more rewarding prog experience. That makes Kansas better I think.  Smile

Edited by Yorkie X - July 31 2008 at 05:37
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 10:20
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Tough choice but my vote will go for Hawkwind! why???
because when they are good, they are brillant and can bring you in some ''spheres'' not too many bands are able to..
second reason is Hawkwind is still producing quality music nowadays...they had a few stinkers but still came with great, great CDs in the 80s, 90 s and still now. The return of  Davey in the fold with Brock and Bainbridge still guarantees fantastic music ''Take me to the Ladder'', ''Electric teppee'', ''Vortex'' ''Palace Sun'' and others still match the goodies from the 70s.
Kansas on the other hand produced great music as well, but for only a short time---74 to 78-- after that was freefall...
So analyzing their respective carreer, this is 4-5 Kansas great years versus 30 Hawkwind good to great years .

Kansas is now more or less a tribute band of its glorious past...nothing wrong with that.....but Hawkwind is still creating new stuff year after year,.....almost 40 years after their beginning.
So sorry, Yorkie and E-Dub......my vote to the Hawks!. don't beat me upLOL 

I won't beat you up, but HAWKWIND has been a tribute band of itself for much longer than KANSAS.

Kind regards.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 10:25
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

The boys from Topeka. No question.

E

The same here. Both bands' discographies have got ups and downs, and HAWKWIND has been more prolific in quantitative terms, but definitely KANSAS shows more technical proficiency, more musical imagination, a wider array of nuances and feelings, and when they rock, they do it more solidly. The remastered double CD "Two for the Show" allows me to rest my case easily.

Kind regards.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 10:44
[/QUOTE]

I won't beat you up, but HAWKWIND has been aof itself for much longer than KANSAS.

Kind regards.
[/QUOTE]

Now you really are talking out your backside it shows you know nothing of Hawkwind and how Dave Brock has kept Hawkwind flying all these years  ,  Nick Turner's Space Ritual you could say that about but  Hawkwind NO , Brock has always tried to keep the Hawks Moving forward with new music ideas , thats why he has always bought in new  members into the band , Hawkwind are not just a Prog or Space rock band they have moved into many different genres of music from Punk'ish years of Calvert  through the Dance and  Ambient years of the 90s  , there last couple albums even had a bit of Drum N Bass mixed in with the usual Space Rock,  they have also kept to there ideals playing free gigs and they never have high ticket prises
and now also run there own Hawkfest (which was the weekend just gone )  to say they are tribute band of them selfs is just Incorrect  but they do also have there own Tribute band called   The Technicians Of Spaceship Hawkwind  , so stop talking out yer backside and get ya facts right ,

LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY HAWKS !!!!!
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 19:09

Hmm how do you join I wonder. LOL

That reminds me of some comedy skit several years ago where they have a game show show called stump the pothead or something like it.

There are three stoners at their consols with buzzers and the Question is (what one question stumps a stoner everytime) "What were we just talking about?"
All three of the stoner contestants don't even move for like thirty seconds.  Then one guy hits his buzzer and asks Did I win?"

I'm still sticking with KanasasWink

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 19:10

Hmm how do you join I wonder. LOL

That reminds me of some comedy skit several years ago where they have a game show show called stump the pothead or something like it.

There are three stoners at their consols with buzzers and the Question is (what one question stumps a stoner everytime) "What were we just talking about?"
All three of the stoner contestants don't even move for like thirty seconds.  Then one guy hits his buzzer and asks Did I win?"

I'm still sticking with KansasWink

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 13:37
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 1.5pt 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-: EN">I use Hawkwind's first three albums (whom I rate with one star each) as a low water mark for prog. I have heard a lot of prog from the 70's and these albums are the worst I have ever heard. It cannot get any worse than that!! Badly produced, lack of good musicianship, no melodies, very repetitive songs, a lot of unbearable noise. The drums are the worst. I do like Levitation though with Ginger Baker on drums, but I have no respect for early Hawkwind.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 1.5pt 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-: EN"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 1.5pt 0pt"><?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-: EN">Kansas</SPAN></st1:State></st1:place><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-: EN"> is a much better band in all respects.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 1.5pt 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-: EN"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 1.5pt 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-: EN">Very strange comparison though. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

Hawkwind were 'patchy' shall we say, but they need to be judged in the context of the music scene of the time, and what they represented. They were musical terrorists, playing with a punk spirit, years before punk became the phenomenon it did. But they combined this with the psychedelic and fantasy element to forge a sound and style that no one else was doing, to my knowledge.

They have made some classic albums, and they have turned out some dross too. It has to be said. But ove the years some excellent musicans have passed through their ranks; notably Simon House, Ginger Baker, Adrian Shaw and of course Huw Lloyd Langton, who is a very original and I think 'underated' guitarist. Liked his voice too.

Incidentally, I reccomend Huw Lloyd Langtons solo album, 'Night Air' Not especially progressive, just good memorable songs, and some great melodic lead guitar work.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 13:39
For anyone who's not yet seen the BBC documentary of Hawkwind, it's here on Youtibe. Sadly Brock didn't take part, having fallen out with Nik Turner, but it's very interesting and entertaining..

Hawkwind on the beeb

Edited by Blacksword - August 01 2008 at 13:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>