Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2004 at 16:13
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Originally posted by dude dude wrote:

i thought we pretty well settled this one,there is a pretty good definition accessible from the home page

I entirely agree with that!

Well I think the definition is not as good as it could be - and the attempts to sub-categorise get confused and overlap each other. While it is a fair point that there is a degree of overlap, and the definition of prog is by nature a fuzzy one, I'd like to try to get to something relatively short and pithy. We can also agree on definitions of the sub-categories - or rather distinctions between them, I feel!

If the definition on the main page was good enough, we wouldn't have so many debates within the forum. I don't think they would stop - due to the nature of prog, but it would be much easier to just say "look at the front page then start from there", and if any FAQs came up, that could be taken into account when the definition was updated.

Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Okay, let's look at the word first: Pro-gress-ive. Hhhmmh, maybe it's Prog-res-sive? No, no, it's Progre -ssive. Wait, no, it's Progress - ive. Root word; PROGRESS. Not in political terms, that would be a misnomer. How about a general forward movement, learning as we go, taking something that already exists and building, adding new ideas and properties, and creating something different. Not exactly new, but improved. Revolutionary, like the Porsche to the Edsel. SO, simplistically........

Progressive Music is the melding of different genre's to create a revolutionary art form.   

Nah.....

It is a difficult task I have set, no? - It is difficult to see how the Beatles do not fit the description you have given!  Nice try, though - I prefer it to the boring responses that say "We've already decided this"; but don't say what has been decided.

My go

Maybe a catch-all definition could be; PROGRESSIVE ROCK: An evolutionary style of music. The term is a bit of a misnomer, as the style finds its roots where it will; in Rock, Jazz, Folk, Classical, World - even Popular music.

The music is evolutionary in that, typically, a strong melody line is initially used, married to conventional harmonies to strongly resemble conventional music of a particular form. What makes it progressive is that, like classical music, the form may evolve through a series of movements bearing some resemblance to sonata form. Some form of development of material almost always takes place.

However there will normally be an improvisational element to break down that form so that the music takes unexpected turns into harmonic, rythmic and textural structures which may bear little resemblance to the opening material. Like jazz, this may become so deeply improvisational that all feeling of form is broken down completely.

Progressive Rock almost always gives itself the freedom to develop in any direction it chooses, and borrows freely from the various trends in other more defined forms of music in order to widen its musical vocabulary. It is this freedom of expression that is the most striking feature of this form of music.

(I think it may be a good idea to address the lyrical content here as well - my thinking cap is still on...)

...and then we can go on to define "Art Music", "Canterbury", Symphonic" or whatever.

As a first draft - any opinions?

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2004 at 20:53
Originally posted by Stormcrow Stormcrow wrote:

OK, I think I have it.

Rock 'n' roll, even when it progresses, is music that speaks FIRST to the hips.

Progressive rock, whether it actually progresses or not, is music that speaks FIRST to the brain.

Neither are a bad thing.

That's all.  Fire away.

SmileAs good a definition as any, Stormy ol' boy! Well done! Clap

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 05:39
 The definition! We've got it! Let's Celebrate! And NOT dance
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2004 at 18:21
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Originally posted by Stormcrow Stormcrow wrote:

OK, I think I have it.

Rock 'n' roll, even when it progresses, is music that speaks FIRST to the hips.

Progressive rock, whether it actually progresses or not, is music that speaks FIRST to the brain.

Neither are a bad thing.

That's all.  Fire away.

SmileAs good a definition as any, Stormy ol' boy! Well done! Clap

Great definition - I really like it.

However, it holds a coupla problem areas;

Most jazz and classical music speaks first to the brain. Yet prog does not include Miles Davies, John Coltrane, Philip Glass or Harrison Birtwhistle. In the case of Philip Glass, no hip-talking is done at all.

I can think of many intros to pop/rock songs that do not "speak to the hips first".

(Iron Maiden) "Woe to you, Oh earth and sea..."

(Motorhead) - Sound of motorcycle starting and revving up (intro to the On Parole album) - speaks to gut!

(Beatles) - The start of Sgt Pepper could arguably talk to either first.

(Metallica) - The opening chords to the Master of Puppets album ("Battery") are classical in origin. When those riffs come crunching in, it's your head that moves, not your hips. Ah. But Metallica ARE prog

Come to think of it, most metal talks to the head. OK, not the brain, necessarily, but the head starts to nod first. The hips might also move, but only as a means to further move the head.

You can probably see where this is going...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12