FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite guitar solo??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite guitar solo??
    Posted: August 05 2023 at 09:43
I'm not so much of a guitar solo guy to be honest, especially not if we are speaking ten minutes of blues scales. But I do have my favourites:

The Beatles: Something, And Your Bird Can Sing, Fixing A Hole (George Harrison)

Blur: Coffee And TV, (Graham Coxon)

Pink Floyd: A lot of candidates here too. Apart from the obvious ones with Gilmour (Shine On, Comfortably Numb), I'd like to mention One of My Turns, the "Funky Dung" part of Atom Heart Mother (also Gilmour), plus a lot of Syd Barrett stuff (Astronomy Domine, Interstellar Overdrive).

C.V. Jørgensen - Sæsonen er slut (Billy Cross), Balladen om Mickey Lama (Ivan Horn).

Sebastian - Sort marcipan (Nils Henriksen)

Deep Purple: Child In Time (Ritchie Blackmore)

Radiohead: Paranoid Android, Electioneering (Johnny Greenwood)

David Bowie: TVC15 (Carlos Alomar), Boys Keep Swining (either Alomar again or Adrian Belew?), Moonage Daydreem (Mick Ronson)

The Velvet Underground: All Tomorrow's Parties (Lou Reed)

EDIT: And how could I forget Television - Marquee Moon (Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd) - it's simply magical!

Another addition: The acoustic guitar bridge between Overture and It's A Boy in The Who's Tommy (Pete Townshend)

Edited by The Anders - August 05 2023 at 09:57
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 08:58
There are so many favorite guitar solos of mine, but today, I'm going to go with "It's Only Me" by Pendragon.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 19:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

NONE.

Anything I say on this is going to fall into the incorrect ears.

I don't listen to music for the "solo" ... I listen to the whole thing, and never thought that RF was about his solo at all ... he's about his guitar being a part of the whole composition, not something that doesn't belong to it.

It makes for a tough distinction ... for example, when you hear Jean Luc Ponty and some of the jazz folks, it seems like they are all just setting each other up for small bits and pieces that could be considered "solos", but in most rock music ... it gets sad and pathetic, how the same design and placement for the solo is almost always the same ... and the singer has to shut up! Or vice versa, right?

To me, "solos" take away from the flow of the music ... you can go back 500 years of history of music, and you won't identify a single solo ... try Stravinsly. Try Bertok. but in rock music, it is all about the adulation and the bun kissing ... and how great they are ... and the rest of the music ... you don't really care about it ... you just like that one song, right?

If I had to chose "solos" that are way out there, and worth a listen, that I love to listen to  .... I'll take Ax Genrich in the early Guru Guru stuff, specially the live stuff ... no one is as crazy and as nuts as that guy was ... I call it Jimi Hendrix 2 ... the one version that is not a copy ... but I am not sure that folks here can recognize that as valuable and important and far out ... most think it's a guy just stoned out crazy ... and I'm not even totally sure of that ... I'm not sure that the clarity and continuation of the piece would work as it does if that were the case!

One need not listen to music specifically for a solo to be able to appreciate how a well placed and constructed solo can fit perfectly into, and actually enhance, the larger piece of music.  Not all solos are solos for solos sake. 

And there's actually a very long history of solos in music going back well further than Stravinsky and Bartok.  Most composers wrote violin concertos which had... gasp... violin solos!  Even Bartok specifically had violin solos in his violin concertos.  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 00:24
I can never get past Blackmore on Stargazer. Will always do it for me.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 08:02
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

one that probably hasn't been listed... and hands down one of the most incredible guitar solos ever recorded...

Hendrix Killing Floor October 10 1968 with Jack Casady driving and pushing him as Noel never could... he uncorked the ultimate guitar solo. Live or studio...

Sounds like you're referring to the version on the Live at Winterland album?  Jimi was definitely on fire for that one.  For me though, his Red House solo on the same album (recorded the next night) is the single greatest guitar solo of all time Wink

What a great album that is!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 07:58
Hi,

NONE.

Anything I say on this is going to fall into the incorrect ears.

I don't listen to music for the "solo" ... I listen to the whole thing, and never thought that RF was about his solo at all ... he's about his guitar being a part of the whole composition, not something that doesn't belong to it.

It makes for a tough distinction ... for example, when you hear Jean Luc Ponty and some of the jazz folks, it seems like they are all just setting each other up for small bits and pieces that could be considered "solos", but in most rock music ... it gets sad and pathetic, how the same design and placement for the solo is almost always the same ... and the singer has to shut up! Or vice versa, right?

To me, "solos" take away from the flow of the music ... you can go back 500 years of history of music, and you won't identify a single solo ... try Stravinsly. Try Bertok. but in rock music, it is all about the adulation and the bun kissing ... and how great they are ... and the rest of the music ... you don't really care about it ... you just like that one song, right?

If I had to chose "solos" that are way out there, and worth a listen, that I love to listen to  .... I'll take Ax Genrich in the early Guru Guru stuff, specially the live stuff ... no one is as crazy and as nuts as that guy was ... I call it Jimi Hendrix 2 ... the one version that is not a copy ... but I am not sure that folks here can recognize that as valuable and important and far out ... most think it's a guy just stoned out crazy ... and I'm not even totally sure of that ... I'm not sure that the clarity and continuation of the piece would work as it does if that were the case!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2019 at 11:26
David Gilmour: "Dogs".
Steve Howe: "Sound Chaser".
Pete Townshend: "The Sea Refuses No River".
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 09:48
Too many to choose from. But standout guitar solos.. Hackett - firth of fifth... lifeson - la villa strangiato. Stolt, take your pick from All of the above, Monsters and men, Garden of Dreams...
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 15:07
Cool ^

When it comes to bass tone nothing beats live Crimson Wetton '73 - '74 for me...he was like a steamroller destroying everything in his path...drove Fripp & Cross crazy LOL   

Anyway, getting back to the topic I'd rank my top 5:

1.  Jimi - Red House - Live at Winterland
2.  Fripp - Exiles - USA
3.  Fripp - The Night Watch - Starless & Bible Black
4.  Martin Barre - Bach Double Violin Concerto in D minor - A Sackful of Trousersnakes (1977 tour boot - the encore begins with Martin playing an unaccompanied solo based on the Bach piece - saw it live about a month earlier in Oakland.)
5.  Fripp - St Elmo's Fire - Another Green World (Eno)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 12:10
^ clappies to you.

Definitely the album I was referring to...  I'd put that album even over the most excellent Band of Gypsys.

Both songs had Jack guesting on them. He brought out something special in Jimi.  Shame their collaborations were so limited. Love both but still would give it to Killing Floor! Pure insanity and Jack's bass tone? kin to a gravel truck going down a steep embankment, might be the fiercest bass tone ever recorded. Duane Allman rightfully so is widely acknowledged as having the single best greatest guitar tone of all time, and as much as I love and adore Jack Bruce and Squire, Casady wins hands down in the bass guitar category.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 11:57
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

one that probably hasn't been listed... and hands down one of the most incredible guitar solos ever recorded...

Hendrix Killing Floor October 10 1968 with Jack Casady driving and pushing him as Noel never could... he uncorked the ultimate guitar solo. Live or studio...

Sounds like you're referring to the version on the Live at Winterland album?  Jimi was definitely on fire for that one.  For me though, his Red House solo on the same album (recorded the next night) is the single greatest guitar solo of all time Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 06:05

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 00:36
So many to choose from, too many in fact, although Nick Barrett (Pendragon) performs one helluva solo about 4mins in to The Shadow (The Masquerade Overture) which just blows me away.
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 08:24
Steve Hackett Firth Of Fifth.
Martin Barre Aqualung.
Frank Zappa Watermelon In Easter Hay.
Allan Holdsworth Tokyo Dream.
Duane Allman In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (Live, 1st Solo

Deafmoon
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 19:24
Well, Hendrix, Gilmour, Page, Trower and Blackmore have been brought up several times. Here's a few that I didn't see (or wasn't paying that much attention anyway):

Brian May: "Brighton Rock" (Queen Sheer Heart Attack)
Eric Clapton and Duane Allman: "Key to the Highway" (Derek and the Dominos)
Al Di Meola: "Race With The Devil On Spanish Highway" (Elegant Gypsy)
Alvin Lee: "Going Home" (Ten Years After Live 1975)
Johnny Winter: "Highway 61" (Captured Live)

And this is about the most savage 16 minute bit of guitar brutality you'll ever hear:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 19:07
Frank Gambale
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 11:18
Frippy on Distributed Being from Nerve Net.
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 10:35
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

Comfortably Numb

No challenge. Virtuosity isn't about playing lots of notes. It is about playing something beautiful, emotional, and something that can wrench at you. David Gilmour does that, and doesn't have to be flashy to do so.

Agreed. That's exactly how I feel about Steve Hackett's solo on The Firth Of Fifth. Gets me every time.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 05:17
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I must put in a mention for Dave Flett's solo on "The Road to Babylon". It's on the Manfred Mann's Earth Band album The Roaring Silence (1976). There's another, rather more famous song on the same album which also has a phenomenal Flett guitar solo!

Great nomination; Flett played some really wonderful guitar for the Earth Band. Pity that he was only active in prog for such a short period. I just checked his Wikipedia page to see what he had been up to afterwards and it states that "with the help of a number of musicians including Manfred Mann and John Lingwood, Flett's first solo album, Flying Blind, was released in April 2014 for download."
I wonder whether anybody has heard it... I really should check it out.

By the way, Mick Rogers also has some great solos on Nightingales and Bombers and earlier Earth band albums.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Andy Latimer on Summer Lightning (which some people hate because of its disco rhythm, but still the guitar solo, oh the guitar solo...).
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 00:49
Comfortably Numb

No challenge. Virtuosity isn't about playing lots of notes. It is about playing something beautiful, emotional, and something that can wrench at you. David Gilmour does that, and doesn't have to be flashy to do so.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>