Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTopics with more than 4000 posts closed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 17:48
getting error messages again.. and long waits for pages to load...  not sure if it is just me... still on my old war-horse of a computer. Need to get the new one going and use that I guess hahah.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 18:00
^

Not had that, myself, mick. PA has been peachy as a peach since this thing for me.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 18:04
Same here, TGM.

Also, since it pretty much got lost on the last page:

Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Here's my ideal solution:

When a useful thread (like RIO drop in) reaches 4000 posts, close it and sticky it for two months.  That way, people can still have access to the latest suggestions in it for a good while.  After the two months, when people have gleaned the info they need from it, then hide it, since the new thread will have taken off and the old one won't be needed anymore.  That way, the site isn't significantly slowed down by larger threads (since the threads like Rio Drop In take a long time to reach 4000, meaning there will only be a handful of stickied large threads at a time, if that) that linger forever, and people don't lose the information they need.

Of course Velvet Rooms and the like can disappear as they reach 4000.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 18:05
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

^

Not had that, myself, mick. PA has been peachy as a peach since this thing for me.

thanks guys..  probably my computer.. .was fine yesterday along with everyone.. but the site is SLOW today in spots ...  funny thing is.. not having a problem loading other sites.  Oh well...

Edited by micky - August 12 2008 at 18:06
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 20:45
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If I'm not mistaken old threads are still accessible but stopped at 4000, so all you have to do is start a new one after 4000 to keep it alive?

EL said hidden. Deleting the chat threads is fine (in fact it's probably what we should have been doing originally), but it really would make me sad not to be able to go through some of those old appreciation threads. Yes, you could ask whatever question you have again, but some people aren't posting as much anymore...

A hidden thread is accessible if you know the URL though, so just bookmark a page of a to be hidden topic (I've found some old ones using google cache, history, or just playing around with the numbers of forum threads).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 05:40
Seems to have helped a bit. Havn't got those annoying error things for a while.
Yesterday, PA was slooow, though. But then, so was every other page aswell.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 19:53
it would be cool if this forum had an online chat room you could go to, like Prog Archives AIM or something haha. That'd probably save some bandwidth, cause who's going to reference general chats?
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 14:18
We used to have a chat facility and although it was initially used for a while, it died a very quick death.

The issue for me with a chat facility, is that when there are lots of people present in them, they are almost impossible to keep track of.  Also, people soon seem to turn to nonsensical stuff and go off topic and it gets quite annoying.

With a dedicated thread, people can reply to things in their leisure.  Somebody may go away for a few days and upon return, they will be able to go through previous pages and find out if they have missed anything  So that's a very useful thing for me.

Also, I do not want to spend all my time in a chat facility, when I can take a break and not miss anything, because I browse back at things in my leisure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123