Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Purchases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 317318319320321 524>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 17:08
Bought:

J Zorn - In The Hall Of Mirrors
Agalloch - The Serpent...
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 07:02
Yesterday I received a late present in the mail. T'was from some old friends of mine, whom obviously had been told I'm into progLOL Damn.... 
Most of these are definitely not my kind of bag, but I am conversely really looking forward to spending some time with records that I'd never ever have purchased myself:

Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope
Haken - The Mountain
Comedy & Errors - Fanfare & Fantasy
The Flower Kings - Desolation Row
Perfect Beings - s/t

I have the most confidence in that last one, but after the first 15 minutes of it, I'm already on the verge of dosing offErmmLOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 22:49
Extra shifts = extra music. Embarrassed

Devin Townsend (solo)--Ziltoid the Omniscient
Taal--Skymind
Cephalic Carnage--Mislead by Certainty
Myrath--Tales of the Sands
Vektor--Black Future
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 08:26
Stopped by the store yesterday for one specific album, and of course walked out with four --

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Revelation (just released)
Brian Jonestown Massacre - Methodrone
Brian Jonestown Massacre - Who Killed Sgt Pepper?
Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 10:06
Just bought:

“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 10:32
Also bought:

I now own all of the 40th Anniversary Editions. Does anyone know when Beat or Three of a Perfect Pair will be released in this 40th Anniversary incarnation? Any information would be much appreciated.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 15:14
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

WTFShocked
How on earth did this puppy slip by me? 

Ohhh sweet mama! This is great news! 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 16:20
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

WTFShocked
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">How on earth did this puppy slip by me? </span>
i only found out about it 2 days before its release date, quite by accident, but right in the middle of a BJM feeding frenzy. Suffice to say it's another good one which doesn't really sound like any other one they've done.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 17:24

Yesterday I received a late present in the mail. T'was from some old friends of mine, whom obviously had been told I'm into progLOL Damn.... 
Most of these are definitely not my kind of bag, but I am conversely really looking forward to spending some time with records that I'd never ever have purchased myself:

Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope
Haken - The Mountain
Comedy & Errors - Fanfare & Fantasy
The Flower Kings - Desolation Row
Perfect Beings - s/t

I have the most confidence in that last one, but after the first 15 minutes of it, I'm already on the verge of dosing offErmmLOL

LOL
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 02:07
Spoiled myself rotten by buying a top of the line, stand alone DAC player by ARCAM.
This incredible DAC paired with my receiver and Sennheiser headphones makes listening to music like a brand new experience cause the resolution is 10's across the board. ;)
I'm hearing things I have never heard before in my old favourites. What a treat and I everyone hear on PA gets to experience major high fidelity listening with quality gizmos. ;)

Good day to all!

Oh and Dave, does the latest Transatlantic have too much lotion on it?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 02:30
You guys are killing me:-P

Second spin of the Perfect Beings album revealed a bit more umphh than the first though, but the Transatlantic one is, as you say Nick, lotion packed, and I see myself struggling a bit to grasp it's greatness.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 02:38

You guys are killing me:-P

Second spin of the Perfect Beings album revealed a bit more umphh than the first though, but the Transatlantic one is, as you say Nick, lotion packed, and I see myself struggling a bit to grasp it's greatness.

Yup. I knew it. Too much lotion.
Reminds me of the 'AMADEUS' movie where he presents a wonderful piece of music to his majesty
And his majesty replies. Yup. "It just has too many notes."

I will say that the HAKEN album is quite amazing and that it uses a sh*t-load of Rocket sauce in a very good way.
Hope you like that one. I think it's cutting edge heavy Prog Metal.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 02:46
Well as you probably know by now Nick, I tend to be very fickle with my modern prog. I did actually listen to that Haken album for the collab list 2013, and I was not that impressed tbh. I will listen with fresh ears though, but to these ears they sounded like DT with some Gentle Giant thrown in for good measure, and I kinda think DT does DT best and the same goes for GG. Anyway like I said, I'm willing to be wrong in my assessment;-)

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 03:18

Well as you probably know by now Nick, I tend to be very fickle with my modern prog. I did actually listen to that Haken album for the collab list 2013, and I was not that impressed tbh. I will listen with fresh ears though, but to these ears they sounded like DT with some Gentle Giant thrown in for good measure, and I kinda think DT does DT best and the same goes for GG. Anyway like I said, I'm willing to be wrong in my assessment;-)

Structurally, Haken do attack DT's style for building quality Prog music just as 90% of Prog metal bands do, especially the new and up and comers, but I found Haken to be unique in their own right.
Hey. Actually Dave. Have you heard the latest "Vanden Plas" album?
Now that is unique, innovative and fresh Prog metal that is even a little bit lighter on the heavier side with in typical attributes of the genre itself. I love how the Keyboards dictate the pace in most of the songs on the album.
Gunter Wërno nails it!! You may not "love" the vocals, but Musically you may shed a tear of joy. ;)
Chronicles Of The Immortals is a winner and our good friend 'Michael' Aussie-Byrd agrees. I got him hooked to it, so your next my friend!!     
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 16:49
^I'll see what I can find on ze tubeBig smile

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 16:51

WTFShocked
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">How on earth did this puppy slip by me? </span>
i only found out about it 2 days before its release date, quite by accident, but right in the middle of a BJM feeding frenzy. Suffice to say it's another good one which doesn't really sound like any other one they've done.

I read your reply this morning Steve, and by noon I'd ventured out for a cigarette break at my workplace - trying desperately to find some viable internet connection on my phone, so I could order itEmbarrassed I did, but it took me the time of two smokes though...

- Douglas Adams
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 18:25
Ordered:

Led Bib - The People...
T Oxley - The Advocate
J Mcphee - Trinity
J Zorn - Filmworks IV
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 15:36
I bought a prog album today!  Something I haven't done in months!

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Jane's Addiction - Kettle Whistle
Jane's Addiction - s/t (Live)
RHCP - By The Way
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 13:14
Ariel Pink - "Early Live Recordings" - new archival release.  took me 6 months to get it in the mail, and it finally arrived yesterday. at least I had an mp3 copy to enjoy in the meantime

Ekkehard Ehlers - "Betrieb" -- experimental electronic thing I got for free as a compensation for having to wait so long for the CD above. It looked cool in the catalog (Human Ear Music, btw), so I decided to give it a shot.  Sounds great so far.  I believe it samples and electronically manipulates existing recordings by Charles Ives and others, though it's hard to tell that without knowing.

ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE & the Melting Paraiso UFO - "Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo" (2007).  My first AMT CD.  I hope I don't get hooked because they have a sh*tload of CDs out.

Cows - "Orphan's Tragedy".   90s noise rock band on AmRep that's incredibly hard to find nowadays.  This is only the 2nd time in 10 years I've seen one of their albums in a store.  Their fans must not be trading the CDs in once they grow up and have kids.

Aethenor - "Deep in Ocean Sunk the Lamp of Light" -- Avant drone/noise coolness from Daniel O'Sullivan (Guapo, et al), Stephen O'Malley (Sunn 0))) et al) and a third guy I don't recognize (Vincent de Roguin).  Can't really go wrong with that kind of lineup.

False Prophets - "Blind Roaches and Fat Vultures" -- compilation CD with lots of stuff I don't have by a really cool 80s punk/hardcore band I like.  They were always on the more ambitious side of things.  Intelligent punk like Dead Kennedys with occasional horns.

Magma - "Mekanik Kommandoh" - the alternate version CD.

-Kehlog Albran
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:54

08 Rem
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 317318319320321 524>