Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Purchases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 396397398399400 524>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 17:37
And speaking of Black Bombaim and Porto, I bought tickets to see them there with Peter Brotzmann tomorrow :)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 19:41
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Yeah! You didn't get that Black Bombaim collaboration?

Black Bombaim (blue vinyl) has shipped but it's not here yet.
I'm surprised that Equations got here so soon.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 19:43
^^  Have a great time and let me know how they sound.  Thumbs Up
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 22:35
Another order...

Python blue-- cyborg
Python blue-- Amnesia ( the grand work)
Python blue-- a change of clothes
Headspace-- all that you fear is gone
Murphy-- requiem (with London & prague philharmonic orchestra. ) hi res audio.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 22:52
My sis went to the city today - it's far away so none of us go often - anyway, she rang me from a JB and I have vinyl versions of OPETH - Ghost Reveries and DREAM THEATER - Octavarium on their way to me !!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 01:07
Ordered:

Moster! - When You Cut...
AT - Voix
CTS - World War (Parts 2 + 3)
M Halvorson - IS
Circle - PO
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 04:39
^ Nice haul Phil. Let me know what you think about the new Aluk Todolo. Rather curious to hear where they go after Occult Rock. It had a real surfer guitars meet Krautrock thang going for it that I hope they expand upon
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 04:46
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Oteme - L'Aguatto, L'Abbandono, Il Mutamento

I'll be really interested to hear how you like it.  A record I'm very much into, and a grower.

By the way, I followed up your tip on Claudio Milano's work. Had some contretemps with the Italian mail service, and a little email correspondence with Claudio - who turns out to be a lovely and generous man - and yesterday received Nichelodeon's Ukiyoe and Il gioco del silenzio albums together with one by the Radiata 5tet. Absorbing music this dense is going to take a little time, but I can tell it's going to be a great journey Thumbs Up

Well that Oteme album turned out to be something of a headscratcher for me. I absolutely adore the music - the plethora of extremely wellplayed flutes and horns - but the vocals ruin the overall experience imo. Then again I'm somewhat of a vocals-nazi meaning if the vocals don't work for me I end up struggling with the remaining album. I just feel the music of Oteme deserves so much more than the anodyne and flat delivery of both the male and female singer. And apropos Claudio Milano - I could just imagine him singing on the album!
On the other hand it may just be a grower, but I have a hard time imagining warming up to those vocals. (Crosses fingers)

I too have spoken with Claudio and he is a very empathetic guy. The kind of man I'd enjoy a pint with methinks.
I love the way you describe the music as being 'dense'. Possibly the most apt word for his music.

I actually like Gianotti's voice - which seems somewhere between one of the singers in Stormy Six (Franco Fabbri?) and...Joăo Gilberto. To me it fits with the music and the lyrics, similarly to the way Mark Hollis' husky, wavering voice is just right on Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock.  I also like the songs better for being able to read the English translations in the CD booklet - he's a good lyricist, I think.

I do grok what you're saying though. The human voice seems to evoke a more visceral response than any other element in music - plenty of singers out there that have the same effect on me, and it means I can't get on with their music no matter how much I like what the band is doing.  C'est la vie.

I'd certainly buy Claudio a beer if I had the pleasure to meet him in person. Those vocal chords probably need a lot of coolant!

It has improved a bit with a little time. I'm still not completely won over, but I feel my ears directly themselves more toward the music now, which is always a good thing.
Regarding the human voice in music: there are those rare bands that manage to include what I'd personally call horrendous sounding vocals....yet for some inexplicable reason they work. Amon Düül ll is an apt example of this.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 15:06
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 17:05
Delivered today...

Ape Machine - War to Head  (red vinyl)  with signed poster
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 22:35
Just returned from Twist & Shout with the following:
Tortoise - The Catastrophist
Magma - Slaǧ Tanƶ
Dungen - Allas Sak
Guapo - Obscure Knowledge
Battles - La Di Da Di
Atomic Ape - Swarm
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Atheist - Unquestionable Presense
Comus - Song To Comus (includes First Utterance and To Keep from Crying)
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 08:49
Womega – A Quick Step

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19373

I picked up the recent CD reissue of this one, a pretty cool Seventies album. The vocals have a kind of dorky Greenslade-like quality, but the songs are actually pretty clever and full of great instrumental passages. A pleasing surprise, if hardly an essential classic!

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 09:36
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Black Bombaim (blue vinyl) has shipped but it's not here yet.
I'm surprised that Equations got here so soon.
I meant their album with La La La Ressonance, the reason why I recommended that Equations album in the first place Tongue
Yes, it was fast. I ordered four CD's from the US one month ago and probably will not receive it anytime soon Ouch

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

^^  Have a great time and let me know how they sound.  Thumbs Up
It was fantastic and their current sound is like "Far Out" (although the bass was "fuzzier"), they played a great version of "Arabia" Thumbs Up Peter Brötzmann added an Avant Jazz perspective to their sound though Smile There were some people that thought it would be a Jazz concert LOL

I missed going to a record store. Here's what I bought:
Mike Oldfield - Amarok (CD)
PFM - Per Un Amico (CD)
Renaissance - Turn of the Cards (LP)
Neu! - s/t (LP)
Krakatau - Water Near a Bridge (LP)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 10:17
^  Yes, the Black Bombaim with La La La Ressonance was ordered as well. The vinyl with photo book was sold out so I ordered the vinyl with poster. 
Sounds like you had a great time at the concert.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 10:47
^ Cool! That's the one I have.
Yeah, it was great. The opening act was really boring though: imagine 60's Nick Mason performing alone for 45 minutes... that's it Sleepy The music that was played on background was cool though: SBE's "Double Freedom" and a nice Stoner cover of "Astronomy Domine" (I wonder who plays it) Thumbs Up
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 16:36
Bought:

Intronaut - HL
              - Void
SW - Hand...
J Zorn - The Hermetic Organ Vol. 4
Morglbl - BR
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 16:38

^ Nice haul Phil. Let me know what you think about the new Aluk Todolo. Rather curious to hear where they go after Occult Rock. It had a real surfer guitars meet Krautrock thang going for it that I hope they expand upon

Thumbs Up

And will do. I quite like OR so I'm hoping the new one is at least as successful if nothing else.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 16:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

My sis went to the city today - it's far away so none of us go often - anyway, she rang me from a JB and I have vinyl versions of OPETH - Ghost Reveries and DREAM THEATER - Octavarium on their way to me !!

My god! What a great sister you have Tom! Holy sonic treats Batman!

Buddy. I love Octavarium. Sacrificed Sons is really under looked of you will. It's incredible. Beautiful transitions and it jumps out at you by getting heavy as f**k somehow!
Enjoy man.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2016 at 17:52
Arrived today..

Pyramaze - Disciples Of The Sun  (black vinyl)
Sienna Root - Kaleidoscope  (black vinyl)
Sienna Root - Far From The Sun  (black vinyl) 

Fargo - Year Two (DVD)

Edited by TeleStrat - March 01 2016 at 18:01
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 13:39
Arrived

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 396397398399400 524>