Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedold band - Automatic fine tuning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 15:19
Hi trev Darks here,I.m sorry for not acknowleding your post,my computer skills are abysmal. I'm quite happy to reply to any queries & after nearly 30 years am back in touch with Paul MacDonnell with whom I wrote the bulk of the material on "Automati Fine Tuning". So if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I do have a my space site called Trev Darks where I've left a taster of some of the material I've written since AFT.
trev darks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 15:21
By the way I do LOVE that Red Rick 4001-my fave Bass Gtr.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 16:11
http://www.myspace.com/trevdarks in case anyone can't find if from Trev's clues. Wink
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 16:20
Going back to something Trev mentioned on Page 1 - this is cool:

Stramp Syncharger 2
What?
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 18:26
Originally posted by trev darks trev darks wrote:

Hi trev Darks here,I.m sorry for not acknowleding your post,my computer skills are abysmal. I'm quite happy to reply to any queries & after nearly 30 years am back in touch with Paul MacDonnell with whom I wrote the bulk of the material on "Automati Fine Tuning". So if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I do have a my space site called Trev Darks where I've left a taster of some of the material I've written since AFT.

Hi Trev, great to hear from you and thanks for replying. it's great to know you are back in touch with Paul after so long.
Have you checked your private messages on this site?
I have asked you some questions. In case you didn't get it the first time i've just sent the same email again to you.
I also sent Paul an email with the same questions but he has not replied. To read your messages simply click on "New Messages" which is situated top left hand corner of the page, then click on your "inbox" . I will take a look on your Myspace page right now. Thanks and best wishes to you Tony.
PS: Glad you like the Ricky!

Edited by clarkpegasus4001 - February 08 2011 at 18:44
Tony C.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 05:06
Hi Tony, I remeber Budgie well:the albun cover with a budgies head on a warrior? Paul & I are quite amazed by the responses on this AFT site & quite touched that people appreciate what we were trying to do;which was to write a quasi classical 2 movement symphony with none of the cliches that marred rock-classical hybrid music like Deep Purple (an amazing rock band)etc. None of us were formally trained musicians although Paul had a good knowledge of classical music such as J.S.Bach & Vivaldi which is reflected in what we wrote.We formed in Reading in 1973(appx)where we were at University there,and won a band competition as Glyder(judged by Paul Jones of Manfred Mann-no less) Thus encouraged & with an ever changinf line-up including Mutley(Steve Lusted) mentioned on this site we finally de-camped to squat in Maida Vale London @ 21 Formosa St.sometime in 1974/5. I,m not sure of the dates exactly as no one was keeping a record.During this period Mutley left the band to emigrate to Australia,& Bob Cross became the main second guitarist.After auditioning many drummers to replace him, Dave Ball,also from Reading(he was in a band there called Gambler) completed the line up.We wrote the bulk of the AFT album during this period although many ideas were translated into the arrangement that we had created in Reading(Castle St. in the attic)! We wrote by improvising either guitar or bass sequences & then formalising the impro's into concrete arrangements.We were initially signed to a guy called Richard Bliss from Marblehead Massachusets USA, who introduced us to the Grossman brothers Neal & Loyd(of through the keyhole fame)& a real pair of creeps-but they did get us the contract with Charisma. Sadly they got their incompetent mits on the recording & production of the album(recorded in a week @ Ridge Farm studios on Maison Rouge mobile rec.unit) We were all extremely unhappy with the finished mix & recording which didnt capture the band at all-AFT were an amazing live band as any who heard us will testify.Here lay the reasons for the bands demise. Apart from personal issues which I dont want to mention here,Charisma did not want to re-record the album:there were hostile elements to the band inside Charisma notably an exec called Gail Coulson.THey wanted us to get a vocalist etc etc & were not prepared to financially support the band during this period: nor were our so-called managers the Grossman brothers who had done quite nicely thank you out of managerial advances from Charisma.Will return here shortly
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 08:01
Wow thanks for that Trev. I can well testify to how good your band were live! Your band was the first gig that I went to at the Ritz Cinema in Long Eaton Nottingham in 1976, it's stll the best gig i've been to.
If you would rather email me than put sensitive stuff on here you can always email if you like? here:
[email protected]
If you wish to continue on here for others to read then that's fine with me as others might be as keen as I am to know the bands history.
Thanks very much for your time. Tony.
Tony C.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 08:27
As far as gear was concerned,I started with a Gibson (ebo?) short scale bass, the SG shape which was OK but didnt intone v. well cuz of the short scale.When I moved to London I had an original black 'n white Rick 4001 with "rick-o-sound" I swopped this for a custom ricky made by Rob Michael who was @ the London College of Furniture & musical instrument design.This was a fantastic bass,unfortunately stolen some time in 1977/8. I fully utilised the split output design but instead of a stereo lead output had two seperate sockets for each P/Up as the stereo leads were always malfuntioning.The bass or neck p/up drove a 200 watt Marshall valve amp with 18" Horn reflex cab which was a brutal low end sound.The treble or bridge P/up drove a 50watt Sound City valve amp through a tiny cab with a 10" speaker sitting on top of the Marshall. I only put sound effects thru' the smaller treble amp to get seperation: eg phaser,tremolo,distortion etc.This set up gives a massive sound although in later years I dispensed with any effects, with AFT effects were essential to give a big and varied sound. Bobbo played a Gibson SG stdrd and Paul an SG special which he'd modified with cut-outs to resemble a bat shape.When we got our recording deal they both bought John Birch gtrs but we had endless problems recording with these because of their thin sound. You cant beat Gibsons,Strats or Tele's for great gtr sounds.Later I obtained an Orange 200 watt Amp & spkr as the Marshall was a tad muddy. Paul was the violinist and he also used a home-made Lesley revolving spkr set featured on the album.Both Bobbo and Paul were the first to use STRAMP gtr synths in the world & these added greatly to our live sound when they didnt go wrong.
As far as other recordings go the only stuff out there is a John Peel Session recorded on the 21st OCT 1976 and broadcast on the 8th Nov 1976. I have tried to locate this recording but the BBC sound archive while being extremely helpful think it may have been erased. So if any one out there has a recording of this session (Titles Racehorses & Great Panj Wheel part2) We'd love to here from you. All other material has been lost. TO BE CONTINUED!!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 08:47
Thanks for that Trev. Your Marshall 200 must have been a Marshall Major then? I seemed to remember reading something about the two guitarists using John Birch guitars at some point. I DO remember seeing a picture of Paul in a mag like Sounds, New Musical Express or something with a Stramp synth, I wonder if Paul still has it?. I cut it out and saved it later lost in a house move. In fact i'm sure he was using it when I saw you live although he had a lot of floor effects at the time. I would LOVE to hear that John Peel session! Racehorses must have been the track you played when I saw you live, I had no idea at the time what it was called. Incidently a friend of mine had a Marshall 4 X 12 cab the tall TV version, he bought it from a guy who swears he got it from one of the guitarists in AFT but didn't know which one, unfortunately he sold it some years ago. Thanks for the info Trev this is fasinating stuff. I just got your email, I will reply shortly so thanks for that.Tony.
Tony C.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 10:05
After AFT acrimoniously folded (Paul & I have only just been in touch after nearly 30 years)Paul did quite a lot of session work-he played on an album by Philip Goodhand-Tait also ruined by the Grossman brothers( every thing they touched turned to sh*te!)just B4 AFT got their deal.What happened to Paul after that I dont know I'm afraid. I started working with a pseudo-punk band called the Monotones,who were quite good
but I went to Greece to get away from the London Music scene. On return I was asked to play bass for Mother Gong on the Fairy Tales album ( a track called Rats featured a part written for AFT-Paul had a great Gtr part for this. I do receive a small credit for this and the live version recorded at Glastonbury in 1979. I've not heard this but you access it on You Tube I think. From here I went to S.Wales & played in the original version of Nik Turner's (Hawkwind) Inner City Unit.On moving back to N.Devon Bobbo Cross came down to live in (first Chivenor)and the Barnstaple.We did play together briefly but by this time his drinking etc with Jo, his girl friend,was starting to get out of control. Bobbo was a great character & he had these stock phrases when he was a bit over; "It wasnt me it was last night" or "Good consternoon afterble". Tragically I didnt have any idea Bobbo had died until Mutley rang mr from Australia last year(2010)I gave up playing (but not writing at this point & moved to Penzance in Cornwall,I'd met my future wife in N.Devon & I lived with her whilst working on deep sea fishing boats. After marriage we ran Restaurants Bars Clubs etc etc. In 1987 we hired a Blues Brothers cover band at the Yacht club in Burnham-on Crouch that I ran with my wife, which featured one David Ball the old AFT drummer. After moving to Devon in 1988 I started playing again & produced an album of song called "Ectoplasm" featuring David Daw on drums & vocals & Paul Mumford a Dartington College of Arts. This album of songs was sent to Gary Katz, Steely Dan's producer. A chap called Julian Marshall ( Julian had a hit with "Dancing in the City" by The Marshall Hain Band-lovely guy & superb musician) had reccommended my tape to Gary Katz. David Daw ,the vocalist/drummer really made these songs-but he was a bit mentally unstable to say the least. I think you can access David on my space-he's the Guy with a cowboy hat & T-shirt.
Gary Katz offered us a dealbut again all wenr tits-up. My usual experience of the Music Biz.I have completed three other CD's of material-mostly songs but some instrumentals-& may release these on the internet once I work out how to bloody well do it. Paul & I are trying to get Virgin release the 24 track recordings to us so that we can re-mix the album. I see you can buy "Automatic Fine Tuning" on the internet-Pity we cant get any ryalties for this but hey C'est La Vie.
If you think of anything else to ask please do so. I wouldnt mind knowing what Paul got up to either-&/or Dave Ball. Trev Darks
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:20
Yes I bought the cd but I expected that the band would receive royalties! so I guess this was NOT done with your approval then? It would be great to hear the album re-mixed by yourselves. From what you say, it seems that guys in the music biz simply exploit bands for what they can get and it's the musicians that lose out, as ever. I guess it's even harder to make any money nowadays what with downloads and everything, it seems that musicians can only make money by live performances.
What a coincidence about Dave Ball turning up like that!!
I have just contacted my mate regarding his cab. He says that he had a Marshall 50 head and a tall TV 4X12 cab, and it had GLYDER stencilled on it! what a shame he don't have it anymore. We wern't sure it had been owned by Paul or Bobbo but I guess it must have been.
Thanks for this info Trev. I have just emailed you at your wife's email address by the way. Tony.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001 - February 10 2011 at 07:49
Tony C.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 01:38
If anyone on Progarchives has any AFT newspaper cuttings, video's (in my dreams!), live tapes, posters or ANY AFT memorabilia for sale, or would be kind enough to let me copy I would really appreciate it. Any material will be passed on. Thanks! Smile
Tony C.

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 02:00

Originally posted by trev darks trev darks wrote:

My usual experience of the Music Biz.I have completed three other CD's of material-mostly songs but some instrumentals-& may release these on the internet once I work out how to bloody well do it. Paul & I are trying to get Virgin release the 24 track recordings to us so that we can re-mix the album. I see you can buy "Automatic Fine Tuning" on the internet-Pity we cant get any ryalties for this but hey C'est La Vie.

If you think of anything else to ask please do so. I wouldnt mind knowing what Paul got up to either-&/or Dave Ball. Trev Darks

If you need any help with releasing albums on the internet, we have artists and others in ProgArchives who does it on a regular basis and would be very happy to help you out/do it for you. 

You only need to ask us and we may sort it out. 

Top Cat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 08:14
I used to tape John Peel's shows in the 70s and still have a recording of AFT's "'Racehorses".  Happy to let you have the MP3 if you're interested. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 08:16
Originally posted by Top Cat Top Cat wrote:

I used to tape John Peel's shows in the 70s and still have a recording of AFT's "'Racehorses".  Happy to let you have the MP3 if you're interested. 

You are kidding me? Shocked Can I have a copy of that? is it possible for you to put it on cd? I will PM you.
Tony C.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 08:29
Please check your PM's Top Cat
Tony C.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 08:43
I need to check out this band, sounds interesting. And what a great thread!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 08:46
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I need to check out this band, sounds interesting. And what a great thread!

Here you go other tracks are on my faves as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/clarkpegasus4001#p/f/7/X11dagduA0A

Edited by clarkpegasus4001 - May 06 2011 at 08:47
Tony C.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 07:45
Thanks for your PM Tony, i've replied, and i've emailed you. Cheers mate.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001 - May 07 2011 at 11:01
Tony C.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 13:47
Just a reminder i'm still looking! to quote myself.........

"If anyone on Progarchives has any AFT newspaper cuttings, video's (in my dreams!), live tapes, posters or ANY AFT memorabilia for sale, or would be kind enough to let me copy, I would really appreciate it."

Cheers all Tony C

Edited by clarkpegasus4001 - December 29 2011 at 09:58
Tony C.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>