Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the cacophony of light - centaur (BRAND NEW!!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.75  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the cacophony of light - centaur (BRAND NEW!!)
    Posted: March 25 2015 at 03:51
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

No bandcamp?

Wink

LOL Not yet. Wink

At this moment in time I don't believe that Bandcamp is the right "market" for me. Bluntly speaking I don't think that my music is good enough to shine in that environment (the low ratings this thread is attracting are not unwarranted either). 

Also, having uploaded three albums to Soundcloud I have 38 minutes left and don't have any more short albums to upload, so I have reached my limit without going "Pro".

New album for 2015: Centaur

infocat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 23:58
No bandcamp?

Wink

Listening now.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 03:42
Last night I remembered I have a Soundclod account, so here it is with three albums for you to stream, download or ignore:

Edited by Dean - March 25 2015 at 03:53

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
PSIKE Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 06:44
Lovely music Dean Thumbs Up It made me smile on a Monday morning at work, so it's pretty good Tongue
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 05:42
centaur - 2015
Another Minor Planets Suite

After a ten year hiatus I have returned to making music and over the past two weeks I have created the 52nd album under the moniker of the cacophony of light. What surprised me was how quickly I fell back into the routine of putting one note after another into the semblance of melody & harmony, and how familiar it all seemed in a relatively short space of time. It is as if the past decade never happened, but of course it did and while the music may not seem that fresh or new, since to my ears at least it sounds very "cacophony of light", my approach certainly is refreshed and renewed and perhaps that does show in the music. [As my wife remarked the other day - this new music seems a lot "happier" than my earlier albums].

The music is completely new but it didn't happen without a seed, and that seed was an ambient piece called 'Oort' from the original 2005 version of Oligarch. Relying heavily on the addition of my favourite "string-quartet" combination (violin, viola, cello and double bass) the track is now 2 times longer and considerably less ambient, so (hopefully) it is now unrecognisable under its new title of 'Chariklo'. The companion piece in the suite to 'Chariklo' is 'Chiron' and this is 100% new and was written to compliment the first 'movement'.

As is my habit of doing things in threes, there may be a third "Minor Planet" album in the future (though maybe not after another ten years this time), one encompassing the Asteroid belt minor planet 'Ceres'. However, I have no plans for that at the moment as I am considering revisiting an album that I failed to complete from 2002 called 'Edge' [I listened to it the other evening and think it is too good to just forget about, but needs a lot of work to make it stand-alone without the missing vocals]. Anyway: back to Centaur:

1.Chariklo
18:20
2.Chiron
18:01

total playing time:36:21

In astronomy Chariklo and Chiron are called "Centaurs" (hence the album title) - these are minor planets that can be found orbiting between Saturn and Uranus so are not part of the TNO group of minor planets. It is suspected that the centaurs (and there are more than the two I have picked here) are related to comets and may have originated in the Oort cloud (which is why I chose to partly base Chariklo on my previous attempt at Oort). The Centaurs are named after the centaurs of mythology and in that mythology Chariklo is the wife of Chiron. What is curious about both these objects is that there is strong evidence they may possibly have rings, which tickles my humour-centre a little (husband and wife: wedding rings Wink).

Once again, more details on the centaurs as minor planets and mythological creatures can be found through Google if you wish to know more.

If you haven't heard my music before, only sampled a small selection, or haven't listened to it for a long while then please download this (and Oligarch) - they are slightly different to anything I've done previously, while till not being "Prog Rock" they are getting a lot closer...

Unlike other downloads, this one does not include full artwork (because I haven't created the full artwork for it), but only carries the album cover and one side of the CD insert.

download: SOD052CD - Centaur: www.mediafire.com/?472ldpaulazjtuc - 51Mb

Edited by Dean - March 23 2015 at 07:28

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 14:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Following on from a post or two I've made in my one-star rated Prog Blog, Please Self-Release Me, Let Me Go, (gee thanks for the 2 one-stars ... nice to know that the Prog world isn't immune from mean-spirited spite.), I've put together a short video that sort of shows a history of making home-made CDs for the cacophony of light and tries out a 'nice-to-own' idea of adding value to what is essentially a valueless product.

<div style="text-align: center;">
<div style="text-align: center;">
<div style="text-align: left;">Note: apart from the Humdrum CD from CreateSpace, none of the items in the video are for sale - if someone would like a copy of either of the photobooks we can come to some kind of arrangement, but be warned, they are not cheap.Wink

Nice. Reminds me of Human - Un Certain Pays. There's a sort of maturity in things of yours that I've heard that's rather appealing. I like the timbres you come up with. The visual art is spectacular too.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 13:07
Originally posted by Star_Song_Age_Less Star_Song_Age_Less wrote:

^I can't tell you how happy this post makes me.  It does so on two levels: I agree with you about attempts to re-do Holst's music.  I am always excited about them at first, but they never live up to my expectations.  And... your track list on Oligarch is not quite identical, but very similar to the dwarf planet list that was on my white board in class a few days ago.  Very interested to hear this one!
Approve

For me Holst's Plants are as much about Holst as they are the astrological/mythological meaning of the planets. Music written to augment his suite is meaningless since it cannot be based upon his interpretation of the influence of those missing planets on the psyche.

I purposely limited my selection to TransNeptune Objects so dwarf and minor planets not found in this region of the solar system such as Ceres and Chiron are omitted. I also chose not to include Charon since currently it is designated a moon of Pluto even though I suspect that a more accurate designation would be to cal them binary-pair of minor planets.

^^Surprised that anyone would rate your blog one star.  It's a good topic, certainly directly relevant to me.
I am deeply opinionated with quite a mouth on me - making enemies is inevitable. *shrug* I'm big enough and ugly enough to live with that. LOL

Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Star_Song_Age_Less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 12:21
^I can't tell you how happy this post makes me.  It does so on two levels: I agree with you about attempts to re-do Holst's music.  I am always excited about them at first, but they never live up to my expectations.  And... your track list on Oligarch is not quite identical, but very similar to the dwarf planet list that was on my white board in class a few days ago.  Very interested to hear this one!

^^Surprised that anyone would rate your blog one star.  It's a good topic, certainly directly relevant to me.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 07:57
oligarch - 2005
A Minor Planets Suite
remixed and remastered - a.k.a. the vinyl version

Over the years many people have tried to amend Holst's planet suite with the 'missing' planets (Earth and Pluto, and sometimes even The Asteroids), aside from the impertinence of this, I think it misses the point of his magnus opus. Oligarch is not such an attempt, but borrows heavily from the basic premise.

Trans-Neptune Rocks!

When I produced this album back in 2005, a new object had just been discovered in the outer solar system that appeared to be as large as Pluto. Initial speculation that this was the tenth planet and it was often referred to as Planet-X and more popularly as Xena, after the TV series staring Lucy Lawless. This then raised doubts over Pluto's classification and the following year the IAU (International Astronomical Union) re-classified Pluto as a Minor Planet and gave this new discovery the name Eris (in mythology Eris is an alternative name for Pluto). Since then several other objects in orbit around the sun have been classified as minor planets and most of them are what is known as Trans-Neptune Objects (TNOs) as they occupy the region of space beyond Neptune known as the Kuiper Belt. At the time of writing I titled the tracks after the then known TNO bodies, and since then many more have been discovered and added to the list of Minor Planets, so in this remixed and remastered version I have re-titled some of those tracks to reflect the current known status of nine of the largest of these Minor Planets.

A1.Erisstrife and disorder06:39
A2.Quaoarcreation05:01
A3.Vardastars02:02
A4.Orcusoaths06:37
B1.Sednasea05:52
B2.Haumeachildbirth04:33
B3.Makemakefertility04:16
B4.Salaciasalt water00:16
B5.Plutoafterlife05:41
total playing time:40:57

All of these tracks are written in minor keys, obviously, and unlike other cacophony of light albums, this one kind of rocks... in an ambient sort of way. I have split the album into an A-side and a B-side and mastered them as if they were to be cut into vinyl (though without RIAA pre-emphasis), hence the subtitle: the vinyl version. The download includes artwork for a CD jewel case and LP sleeve.

If you want to know more about either these Minor Planets or the mythological characters they are named after, Google and Wikipedia is your friend.

download: SOD049CD - Oligarch: www.mediafire.com/?rl8l6kt9288h8yr - 61Mb

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 11:23
Following on from a post or two I've made in my one-star rated Prog Blog, Please Self-Release Me, Let Me Go, (gee thanks for the 2 one-stars ... nice to know that the Prog world isn't immune from mean-spirited spite.), I've put together a short video that sort of shows a history of making home-made CDs for the cacophony of light and tries out a 'nice-to-own' idea of adding value to what is essentially a valueless product.

Note: apart from the Humdrum CD from CreateSpace, none of the items in the video are for sale - if someone would like a copy of either of the photobooks we can come to some kind of arrangement, but be warned, they are not cheap. Wink

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 23:11

Wow.  I just started listening to Landscapes.

How did you manage to produce so much music?  And did I understand right that this was all basically done in a three year period?  This is amazing.  Epic ambient, as you said.

Edit:  Oh dear.  I might have to stop because it's night, everyone else is asleep, and beltane is scaring me half to death.  I need to listen to this one in the daylight, otherwise I think I'm in Silent Hill.  (Speaking of which, this would make a phenomenal horror game soundtrack).
Gosh. Erm. Sorry. First my music gives Rob nightmares and now it's scary...

I still recall the dream and the experience.  Although I've never given Carousel a go in the waking hours, so maybe a bit of daylight might help.  Tongue

Edited by Epignosis - February 12 2015 at 23:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Star_Song_Age_Less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 21:56

Gosh. Erm. Sorry. First my music gives Rob nightmares and now it's scary... I feared that an album that basically begins with 25 minutes of ambient noise would scare people off. LOL If I recall correctly the "music" on that album doesn't start until about halfway through beltane, I think from then on it calms down a lot once "spring" blossoms into "summer". (well, a bit). Wink

You've picked a tough one as your first taste of the cacophony of light, others are much more musical and less ambient.

2004 was a productive year, 25 albums is roughly one every two weeks from the initial idea to the completed album and cover art. At the time, it didn't seem that excessive (though perhaps my wife would beg to differ) - I am a night owl so most of it was produced in the hours between 10pm and 2am so in a 14 day period that's 56 hours of noodling on the keyboard and PC. 

I've never found writing/composing/constructing the kind of music I create to be particularly difficult. As I am prone to say, if you can hum, whistle or vocalise a tune then you can create melodies of your own invention easy enough. I think it is because I'm not a musician (if that doesn't sound too contradictory) so I can just put notes together and then play around with them, the instrumentation and the arrangement to construct the soundscape I'm aiming for. If it sounds right to me then I'm usually happy with it.

As I noted in the OP, a musician friend of mine often remarked that my music could be good if I spent more time on it (and to their credit, some of my friends were usually quick to defend me whenever he said it) - I'd just grin and bear his comments and carry on regardless. Long after I stopped making these albums I asked him what he meant and he replied "you know, make them into proper songs", meaning of course, standard verse-chorus arrangements.

Don't misunderstand me - scary is a complement.  Emotionally effective!  It was just a bad time for me to be experiencing the fear.  I will be slowly digesting your music over the course of the next few months, I think. :)  This is exactly why being on progarchives is so awesome, you get to hear all these things that otherwise wouldn't make it to your ears.

As far as making them into "proper" verse-chorus songs... no way.  Some people cling to that mode so fiercely.  It's there for a reason, it can be very effective and it's relatively easy for an average person to digest. They don't have to listen too hard to it to "get it."  I myself write plenty of verse-chorus style songs.  But to try and force all music to do that is like saying all poetry should be in limerick form.   Prog... is like The Odyssey.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 03:39

How did you manage to produce so much music?  And did I understand right that this was all basically done in a three year period?  This is amazing.  Epic ambient, as you said.

Edit:  Oh dear.  I might have to stop because it's night, everyone else is asleep, and beltane is scaring me half to death.  I need to listen to this one in the daylight, otherwise I think I'm in Silent Hill.  (Speaking of which, this would make a phenomenal horror game soundtrack).
Gosh. Erm. Sorry. First my music gives Rob nightmares and now it's scary... I feared that an album that basically begins with 25 minutes of ambient noise would scare people off. LOL If I recall correctly the "music" on that album doesn't start until about halfway through beltane, I think from then on it calms down a lot once "spring" blossoms into "summer". (well, a bit). Wink

You've picked a tough one as your first taste of the cacophony of light, others are much more musical and less ambient.

2004 was a productive year, 25 albums is roughly one every two weeks from the initial idea to the completed album and cover art. At the time, it didn't seem that excessive (though perhaps my wife would beg to differ) - I am a night owl so most of it was produced in the hours between 10pm and 2am so in a 14 day period that's 56 hours of noodling on the keyboard and PC. 

I've never found writing/composing/constructing the kind of music I create to be particularly difficult. As I am prone to say, if you can hum, whistle or vocalise a tune then you can create melodies of your own invention easy enough. I think it is because I'm not a musician (if that doesn't sound too contradictory) so I can just put notes together and then play around with them, the instrumentation and the arrangement to construct the soundscape I'm aiming for. If it sounds right to me then I'm usually happy with it.

As I noted in the OP, a musician friend of mine often remarked that my music could be good if I spent more time on it (and to their credit, some of my friends were usually quick to defend me whenever he said it) - I'd just grin and bear his comments and carry on regardless. Long after I stopped making these albums I asked him what he meant and he replied "you know, make them into proper songs", meaning of course, standard verse-chorus arrangements.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Star_Song_Age_Less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 23:56

Edited by Star_Song_Age_Less - February 12 2015 at 00:07
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 05:07
Reflects - 2004

From my notes made at the time of recording:

14 March 2004

Found myself in a reflective mood over the weekend and wrote a tune that will probably be the start of the next Cacophony of Light release

28 March 2004

My 47th birthday rapidly approaches... In my mind I'm still in my early twenties - my body begs to differ. Ho Hum. Made the final adjustments to the next CD - it's called 'Reflects' and it reflects backwards on themes and styles that had tweaked my imagination over the years. I recorded a version of Marc Bolan's Hot Love for it, mainly because it's was the first pop-song that made me stop and listen - but for copyright reasons I cannot include it on the CD, but it's there on my personal copy. Ho Hum.

I'm now 57 and am reflecting back on the events of ten years ago... Ho Hum.

1 ... Escape Into Evening (18:26)
2 ... The Fallen (11:56)
3 ... Reflects/Reflex (13:52)
4 ... xxx xxxx (8:17)

Since the moment I finished it (or more probably while I was adding the finishing touches) "Escape Into Evening" has been one of my personal favourite pieces of my own music. I think it is because it captured the reflective mood I spoke of back in 2004 and paints an evening landscape in my head. Of all the pseudo-classical/electronica tracks I created this was the one I always imagined being performed by a real orchestra (at least an imaginary real orchestra) with a talented pianist who could take my simplistic piano melody and improvise something good with it... Ho Hum.

Download with full artwork: https://www.mediafire.com/?6at8145q59thy0k - 62mB

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 09:28
aibohphobia - 2003

This album was recorded in 2003 originally as two EPs (Aibohphobia and Truth) but was only ever released into the wild in this form with tracks from both interleaved. There is no earthly connection between the music other than it was produced within the same time-frame, which happened to coincide with a major house-move out of a small town where we'd lived in for many years into what we had assumed to be the relative peace and quiet of the country-side. This, it soon transpired, was a false assumption. Prior to this move, I had done all my recording in a converted attic of our small terraced house and aside from ceasing any acoustic recording while the nearby church clock chimed the quarter hour had never really been bothered by the need for sound-proofing. Now I discovered a cacophony of background rural noise to disturb each recording I endeavoured to make, and even more surprising an increased level of man-made aural polution that I was least expecting. To cope with this I took two approaches, the first being to make music by DI-ing instruments directly into the DAW, and the other being to live with these extraneous noises and incorporate them into each piece.
  1. Erehwemos (4:48)
  2. The Truth About Birds And Time (3:12)
  3. Palindrome (4:29)
  4. The Truth About Birds And Rain (7:37)
  5. Define Symmetry (4:02)
  6. The Truth About Birds And Traffic (9:02)
  7. Palindrone (4:09)
  8. The Truth About Birds And Planes (7:57)
  9. Nowhere (4:48)
The "Truth about Birds and..." tracks are the result of using these found sounds as part of the music itself and the interleaved tracks are the result of playing wholly within the DAW environment. Because I had essentially unrestricted freedom to mess around with both the score and the audio tracks of those latter tracks themselves during the production process some of the resulting music is probably impossible to play live due to the degree of post-production that was used. These tracks were grouped together under the name Aibohphbia (the fear of palindromes) because each was a musical palindrome of one kind or other (inspired by Bach's Crab Canon) that would either sound the same when played backwards or performed backwards, however, the one thing I was keen to avoid here was music that sounded like it was being played backwards.

This ancient album can be downloaded (with all artwork) here: https://www.mediafire.com/?6at8145q59thy0k - 61Mb

ps: David Stanton of Season's End (and Dust'n'Bones) plays lovely Gilmouresque guitar on "The Truth About Birds And Traffic", for which I am truly grateful. 

Edited by Dean - February 09 2015 at 05:21

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 11:53
Yes I like your original cover too. I see Kate's as islands rather than mountains though. Islands like  that are usually just huge undersea mountains anyway. So mountains it is.
Coldness doth get away with the badness.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 11:46
^ Approve 

I began working on stateless in October of 2005 and had already produced the artwork for the album cover based upon a landscape where the city-scape in the distance was modelled on a sound-wave profile when Kate Bush released Aerial in November of that year utilising the self-same idea but with a sound-wave representing mountains:

File:Katebushaerial.jpg

A little miffed by that unfortunately timed co-incidence (and not for the first time, I had used a cover based on Newton's cradle before Dream Theatre) I quickly knocked out an alternative and changed the colouration away from the orange-brown to make it even more different to Kate's "copy":

But I wasn't happy because I rather liked the sunset/sepia tint, so changed it again to the current version.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 10:48
Oh goody!Thumbs Up
Coldness doth get away with the badness.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 10:41

stateless - 2005

This was the 51st and last CD I recorded before pulling a veil over the cacophony of light project and was released to the world as a stream from LastFM.

Being the 51st album I had originally intended it to be a statement about the "special relationship" between the UK and the USA as the UK is sometimes jokingly called the 51st State, but my heart wasn't in it and the idea just didn't motivate me enough to produce any music on the subject. Then it occured to me that while politicians and diplomats argue such things, we as citizens play no part and since the advent of the internet and the world-wide-web we have become members of a greater community, a stateless population of a stateless nation each getting on with the other regardless of national boundaries, race or creed. The future, such as it is, is ours not theirs and so the album's title and the subsequent openning track, The 51st Stateless, was born.

The 51st Stateless
A Toe Nail Poem
Polymorphilla
Go Go Gothic Gatling Gun!
Intro Red

05:52
17:30
05:39
15:45
06:13

all tunes dean cracknell 2005

Total Playing Time : 51 minutes.

And just as the first CoL CD began with a track called 'aftermath', the last CoL CD ends with an introduction, 'Intro Red'.

download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ssnnxvsd6c59cz4 48Mb, includes all artwork.

Edited by Dean - March 25 2013 at 11:14

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic