Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The REAL problem with prog-metal: is not prog-rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe REAL problem with prog-metal: is not prog-rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 13:19
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by MrEdifus MrEdifus wrote:

Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

No , you should not. But at least you know where the roots of prog come from. Most of the kids in my country think that progressive rock started with Images & Words Confused

That's ignorant, but certainly not a problem inherent to prog-metal.

To be honest, the biggest ignorance would be to think that Images & Words is a consequence of 70's progressive rock more than the evolution or change over time of all forms of METAL.

To me , IaW has nothing to do with the 70's giants as well.
DatM View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 18:20
I know this thread's been around a while, but since I wasn't around when it started, I'll chime in now Wink Hope that's ok.

While T's post is definitely very insightful, I don't agree entirely with it.

First of all, I wouldn't differentiate between rock and metal by the use of riffs, because rock is also very riff based and a lot of prog rock as well. Speaking from a purely musical perspective, what really seperates metal from rock is the instrumentation and playing style.

As the great Zappa said, timbre rules, and this is a great example of it.

Now, moving on to DT, which are pretty much the poster-boys for prog metal, I would say the prog-rock influence is almost as strong, or even just as strong as the metal influence.  However, because their sound and playing style are greatly influenced by metal, this is sometimes not as obvious.

IMO this has a lot to do with the guitars.  They're heavily distorted, and double-tracked...just like any metal album.  This causes the guitars to be really loud and up front in the mix, at the expense of other instruments...most notably the keyboards.

So even when DT is displaying their prog influences, the guitars are so dominant that one still hears it sounding very "metal".  Awake is probably the best example of this. Imagine listening to, say, Erotomania, with the guitar played with less gain, single-tracked, and panned to the left, and the keyboard loud and present on the right? There's probably better examples, but that's the first that came to my mind.

Now of course DT has a strong metal element, and this reflects on a lot of their songs...These songs, the riff heavy ones, with a more traditional structures, I like to thinks of as the "guitar" songs.

But if you listen to what I think of as "keyboard" songs: Only A Matter Of Time, Learning To Live, Surrounded...more recently, Octavarium, I think the prog influence becomes very apparent and strong.

I don't think it's a coincidence that their guitar-dominant records are the least popular on this forum.

But anyway, that's DT. For every band it's gonna be different,  but as a whole I don't think prog metal should be considered a different genre. It's definitely linked to the past, and is still evolving.

To sum it up, it's complicated. Big smile
Death and the Maiden - A Metal Tribute To String Quartets

Website
Myspace
PROGMONSTER2008 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 21:03
Prog rock isn't supposed to be about breaking boundaries and experimenting imo. It's just that jazz rockers seemed to naturally seem to do this anyway. Their music was naturally clever, catchy and complex . As for prog metal it only tends to be complex or technical.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 21:06
Originally posted by PROGMONSTER2008 PROGMONSTER2008 wrote:

Prog rock isn't supposed to be about breaking boundaries and experimenting imo. It's just that jazz rockers seemed to naturally seem to do this anyway. Their music was naturally clever, catchy and complex . As for prog metal it only tends to be complex or technical.

Listen to Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory and then try saying that again. Wink
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 21:22
 ^ still need to hear that one, I started with Awake and I was disappointed

MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 21:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ still need to hear that one, I started with Awake and I was disappointed

If you're not a metalhead, that's understandable. SFAM is amazing; it may take a while to grow on you because of its depth and length, but it really is a masterpiece. Check my review. Big smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 23:36
I don't really agree with the notion that metal is just an extension of rock. It may have emerged from rock music but it has gone to become something very different. While both are riff based, in metal, whole songs and albums can be constructed around the riffs, which is more difficult to achieve in rock. Again, the need for strong, distinctive vocals is much greater in rock than metal, though its importance in metal is not to be discounted.  This is not to suggest that progressive elements cannot be introduced in metal but it would still sound a lot different from rock.  Another thing: metal is inherently guitar based and it is difficult to do away with that in prog metal. In contradistinction, much of the prog rock of the 70s was centred around keyboards. You had Yes and King Crimson but you also had EL&P, Genesis, VDGG, Focus.  Hence, prog rock in the vintage style and prog metal can never sound the same. Prog metal has to be judged on its own terms, I completely agree with The T on that. Which is perhaps why that prog metal which is closer to prog rock than metal in general is to prog rock is what I usually have difficulty embracing  Tongue whereas that which is unmistakably metal but with prog elements - say Atheist - is a dream to listen to. 
PROGMONSTER2008 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 02:57

Anyone who actually likes Cookie monster vocals is totally brainwashed imo. It was ridiculous when it began maybe 25 years ago. Only rebellious types would have listened to it and started a trend which people follow today because it's the cool thng to do Wink

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 03:41

Anyone who actually likes Cookie monster vocals is totally brainwashed imo. It was ridiculous when it began maybe 25 years ago. Only rebellious types would have listened to it and started a trend which people follow today because it's the cool thng to do Wink

Once again, you are posting a strong opinion, a value judgment on other people in fact, without any backing justification.  Can it really be possible that you still don't realize that you post in a rather inappropriate way again and again though your opinions may not be entirely ridiculous?  On the evidence of the post I am quoting, it seems to be the case.   It is true that some people are brainwashed to the point that they cannot listen to anything without cookie monster vocals and that some people listen to it because they think it is cool. But to say that anyone who enjoys it is brainwashed or trying to be a rebel is a lofty conclusion, and entirely un-called for. Furthermore, your post is not highly relevant to the topic at hand!
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 03:57

Anyone who actually likes Cookie monster vocals is totally brainwashed imo.Wink

Heh, there's a lot of prog singers that would just about fit here as well. When I was getting into prog some eight years ago, the singers (Gabriel, Anderson, Lee, La Brie, Haslam, WIlson, Hammil, Fish, Nichols, Suhrkampf, you name them) were the biggest hurdle to overcome. I was really wondering where the bands got those people from, and had a theory that no one else wanted to sing for them because of the long instrumental passages LOL
I haven't really changed my mind about that, though with time I grew to appreciate the finer points of their vocals and to find the charm in their often silly mannerisms. But more than anything, prog is a 'weird vocals' music to me. That's not a bad thing really - it's a major part of the music's character.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 04:11
Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

[

Heh, there's a lot of prog singers that would just about fit here as well. When I was getting into prog some eight years ago, the singers (Gabriel, Anderson, Lee, La Brie, Haslam, WIlson, Hammil, Fish, Nichols, Suhrkampf, you name them) were the biggest hurdle to overcome. I was really wondering where the bands got those people from, and had a theory that no one else wanted to sing for them because of the long instrumental passages LOL
I haven't really changed my mind about that, though with time I grew to appreciate the finer points of their vocals and to find the charm in their often silly mannerisms. But more than anything, prog is a 'weird vocals' music to me. That's not a bad thing really - it's a major part of the music's character.

Hey what's wrong with Annie? Cry But I agree with you, prog vocals are full of eccentricities and quirks and it's a big part of prog's appeal for me.  I wouldn't want generic hard rock vocals in a prog band. Give me my Thjis Van Leer and Peter Hammil anyday! Big smile
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 04:24
^ There's nothing wrong with Ms Haslam, just with her voice Wink eh, it just annoys me. Yeah, hard rock vocals are the last thing I'd want to hear in a prog band.

On second thought, La Brie has no charming mannerisms, just annoying ones. He's best when he's staying out of 'emotional' extremes.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 04:33

On second thought, La Brie has no charming mannerisms, just annoying ones. He's best when he's staying out of 'emotional' extremes.

Agree, but then I am no fan of Dream Theater nor La Brie. LOL  I liked his vocals best on Space Dye Vest, it's also my favourite DT song, that says it all.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 04:37
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Agree, but then I am no fan of Dream Theater nor La Brie. LOL  I liked his vocals best on Space Dye Vest, it's also my favourite DT song, that says it all.

I don't like that song, but I agree that his singing there illustrates my point quite well. Anyway, Images and Words and the debut are the only DT albums I like, and both more due to their charming naivety and youthful enthusiasm than any purely musical qualities.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 10:22
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Excellent post Teo, and the single best definition of porg metal that I've ever come across. I agree that a condensed version should be used as the sites definition for PM and this thread should be moved to prog blogs, it makes for a good counterpart to Certs "What is prog" blog.

A bit of a late reaction, but I agree. This should have a copy in the blog section. Great analysis, and some interesting reactions from some others.

Edited by Moogtron III - December 10 2008 at 10:24
DatM View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 19:00

I don't really agree with the notion that metal is just an extension of rock. It may have emerged from rock music but it has gone to become something very different. While both are riff based, in metal, whole songs and albums can be constructed around the riffs, which is more difficult to achieve in rock.

But there are plenty of rock songs that are entirely based on riffs.  Some of them classics even... The whole concept of riffs comes from the blues, really.

Quote Another thing: metal is inherently guitar based and it is difficult to do away with that in prog metal. In contradistinction, much of the prog rock of the 70s was centred around keyboards. 

That's true, that was pretty much what I was getting at...the guitar based nature of metal can work against the prog elements in the music.  But that doesn't mean the prog elements aren't there.

While on the surface modern metal is very different sonically from normal rock music, when you look under the hood, it's not all that different.  It's more of an exaggeration of certain elements that were already there.  That's the way I see it at least.

Edited by DatM - December 10 2008 at 19:01
Death and the Maiden - A Metal Tribute To String Quartets

Website
Myspace
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 19:29
Originally posted by DatM DatM wrote:

I don't really agree with the notion that metal is just an extension of rock. It may have emerged from rock music but it has gone to become something very different. While both are riff based, in metal, whole songs and albums can be constructed around the riffs, which is more difficult to achieve in rock.

But there are plenty of rock songs that are entirely based on riffs.  Some of them classics even... The whole concept of riffs comes from the blues, really.

Quote Another thing: metal is inherently guitar based and it is difficult to do away with that in prog metal. In contradistinction, much of the prog rock of the 70s was centred around keyboards. 

That's true, that was pretty much what I was getting at...the guitar based nature of metal can work against the prog elements in the music.  But that doesn't mean the prog elements aren't there.

While on the surface modern metal is very different sonically from normal rock music, when you look under the hood, it's not all that different.  It's more of an exaggeration of certain elements that were already there.  That's the way I see it at least.

Well, in all this, it depends whether you are speaking of metal as in heavy metal or extreme metal.  Prog metal bands seem to derive more from thrash metal or power metal and well - death metal too on the tech/extreme side - , lots of thrash metal doesn't sound like rock to me. I couldn't come straight from a hard rock song to a thrash metal song and be told that both are rock, I would be shocked. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 23:55

Why don't you leave is in peace?
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 00:36
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Why don't you leave is in peace?

Seriously. I'm sick of your metal/anything you dont like-based bashing. If you'll notice, most of the people here, whether they like an element of music or not, remain open mind and at least try to see the artistic value in something they don't like.

And for the record, Gentle Giant, Yes, Genesis, or whatever else you listen to remains far more popular than %99 of the bands that utilize harsh vocals, so your idea that it's a cool thing to do holds no water.

crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 10:32
I guess I am gonna listen to more prog metal milestones first and then come to a conclusion. But why do the fans get so pissed off when someone says metal is not prog for god's sake? Is it carved on stone???

But yesterday I listened to more than 50 tracks of tech extreme and could not see the prog element. I don't know why but prog metal fanboys seem to be more arrogant than average prog fans , I mean I ve been going through other sites and they where terrible close minded.
Probably it must be because they combine the arrogance of a metalhead and a prog fan...

And I agree somewhat with PROGMONSTER 2008 through he was a bit harsh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>