Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The REAL problem with prog-metal: is not prog-rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe REAL problem with prog-metal: is not prog-rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 10:44
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

I guess I am gonna listen to more prog metal milestones first and then come to a conclusion. But why do the fans get so pissed off when someone says metal is not prog for god's sake? Is it carved on stone???

But yesterday I listened to more than 50 tracks of tech extreme and could not see the prog element. I don't know why but prog metal fanboys seem to be more arrogant than average prog fans , I mean I ve been going through other sites and they where terrible close minded.
Probably it must be because they combine the arrogance of a metalhead and a prog fan...

And I agree somewhat with PROGMONSTER 2008 through he was a bit harsh.

Surely, whether tech extreme has prog elements or not doesn't rest on whether crimson87 can spot them, is it not? I trust all of the above is addressed at Hughes's response a few posts back. You pretty much demanded that all prog metal bands must rank below the classic bands and he disagreed....good enough reason for you to get so aggrieved?  Personally, I don't like prog metal as much as the 70s stuff but it's not about what I like or don't like, everyone will have different views.  Oh, and just because prog metal is not prog in the same style as the 70s or - let us suppose - not even as progressive as the 70s stuff doesn't mean it has to be inferior to the 70s stuff, it can be good in its own right, which is what the whole point of this thread is.  
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 11:48
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Surely, whether tech extreme has prog elements or not doesn't rest on whether crimson87 can spot them, is it not? I trust all of the above is addressed at Hughes's response a few posts back. You pretty much demanded that all prog metal bands must rank below the classic bands and he disagreed....good enough reason for you to get so aggrieved?  Personally, I don't like prog metal as much as the 70s stuff but it's not about what I like or don't like, everyone will have different views.  Oh, and just because prog metal is not prog in the same style as the 70s or - let us suppose - not even as progressive as the 70s stuff doesn't mean it has to be inferior to the 70s stuff, it can be good in its own right, which is what the whole point of this thread is.  

I remember posting something like this in a thread similar to this one ( or maybe this one)

"First the 70's then prog metal"

I said that just meaning historical importance , not quality. Honestly , if I you were to explain someone what prog is all about , I would start start with Yes ELP KC Genesis , VDGG , Gentle Giant and Tull. Then I would mention DT , PoS , Opeth  and others as a more complex form of metal. Wouldn't you??
Metal evolved so gradually that it's harder to realize about the prog component unless you are a die hard fan.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 11:55

[

I remember posting something like this in a thread similar to this one ( or maybe this one)

I said that just meaning historical importance , not quality. Honestly , if I you were to explain someone what prog is all about , I would start start with Yes ELP KC Genesis , VDGG , Gentle Giant and Tull. Then I would mention DT , PoS , Opeth  and others as a more complex form of metal. Wouldn't you??
Metal evolved so gradually that it's harder to realize about the prog component unless you are a die hard fan.

If you meant historical importance, then I agree.  I think a new fan would be more likely to take after DT or PoS but I would still introduce him to the oldies first because that is quintessential prog. It did not read like that at the time you posted it though and I wasn't surprised Hughes felt offended.  Hope that clears it up!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 12:12

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Not really, it took about 20 years to go from "Rockabilly" to prog rock and about the same for metal to go from Black Sabbath to Dream Theater, maybe less even.

Are you, or Progmonster for that matter, particularly familier with metal in general, not just Prog Metal. If your not then maybe thats the problem, you dont have a base of referance to start from to be able to pick up on why some bands are consider Prog Metal, in any of its three genre's, and why others arent.

This base of refernace isnt exactly neccessary, in my case I came to Prog Rock and Prog Metal at the same time and I was able to see the connections between the two styles and its obviously more clear in certain bands than it is in others (as it was with the 70's groups as well), but I've heard enough popular metal from multiple different styles to be able to instantly say its not prog and recognize a distinct difference to the bands that we do call Prog Metal.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 12:26

What I meant is that I was not that surprised the first time I heard prog metal , from hearing With a little help from my friends to The Gates of Delirium was a huge difference. But with metal , when I heard Images & Words for the first time , there wasn't a big difference from powermetal i heard those days.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 12:36

What I meant is that I was not that surprised the first time I heard prog metal , from hearing With a little help from my friends to The Gates of Delirium was a huge difference. But with metal , when I heard Images & Words for the first time , there wasn't a big difference from powermetal i heard those days.

Are you kidding, streight up Power Metal is a night and day difference to Images and Words.

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 12:42
Yeah, "Images & Words" is closer to Queensr˙che.

What? Why are you looking at me this way? Did I say something wrong?
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 12:50
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Are you kidding, streight up Power Metal is a night and day difference to Images and Words.

Probably It had to do with my expectations , I expected something closer to Yes than to Metallica.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 17:49

And I shall have your back and agree 100 percent.
Images and Words really doesn't sound like much power metal at all.
And I have a friend who is a serious power metal nut, so I'm saying this as someone who has heard a fair amount of power metal.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 17:50

Probably It had to do with my expectations , I expected something closer to Yes than to Metallica.

Images and Words has very clear Metallica influences in it.
As soon as you kick into the first track of Images and Words, once the heavy guitar kicks in, I can already hear the Metallica influence and the Metallica influence doesn't stop there either.

topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 18:21
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Images and Words has very clear Metallica influences in it.
As soon as you kick into the first track of Images and Words, once the heavy guitar kicks in, I can already hear the Metallica influence and the Metallica influence doesn't stop there either.

Hmm, that's interesting. I really don't think of I&W as an enormously metal album. I would even go as far as saying it borders on neo prog. "Pull Me Under" definetely has Metallica influence. After that, there are a few sprinklings, but it's pretty fluffy for a metal album.

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 22:19
That's like asking Yes, if there was a Beatles influence to their music; or questioning Marillion and IQ as to the Genesis slant to their sound.  
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 22:24

QFT.

And another vote for the Metallica influence - every one noted it at the time, they played "Pull Me Under" on the radio quite a bit and the phrase "Metallica meets Yes" was bandied about quite a bit.  Pretty sure the band was admitting the influence at that time as well.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 10:06
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

QFT.

And another vote for the Metallica influence - every one noted it at the time, they played "Pull Me Under" on the radio quite a bit and the phrase "Metallica meets Yes" was bandied about quite a bit.  Pretty sure the band was admitting the influence at that time as well.

Still does as far as I can tell.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011