Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Music changes depending on Democratic/Republicans?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMusic changes depending on Democratic/Republicans?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music changes depending on Democratic/Republicans?
    Posted: August 26 2008 at 14:16

I have a theory that music is more guitar-driven and genuine during Democratic presidential rule. Oppositely, Republican presidents bring more superficial and studio-rich music.

Now, I've only noticed it during the Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush administrations because these were the only ones I was alive for.

First, during the Reagan and Bush years: Flock of Seagulls, Hairbands, Culture Club, and other types of keyboard or synthesizer studio over-processing took place.  In the case of hair bands, their music took alot of studio magic to come out clean, and their music had a very superficial message.

Second, dudring the Clinton years (1992): Tool releases their first album, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden arrive.  Hairbands and synthesizers die and give way to the resurgence of legends like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Wildflowers).  Weezer releases the Blue album. Woodstock makes its first appearance since the 60's! Overall, music takes more of a guitar-driven, acoustic stance that can be performed without the aid of studio effects. 

Third, during the new Bush era: Emo takes hold, but not before modern rock turns into a mush of Rap-Rock, Staind, Nickelback, and Lincoln Park.  Now modern rockers are whining about their childhoods and dissing their friends. Little did we know that Emo would become larger than we could ever imagine, making Sugar Ray's bubblegum drivel seem like a legitimate successor to Led Zeppelin. 

Finally, Today: A new decision awaits our country and,maybe,record executives. I may be wrong about this political/musical correlation, but only time will tell if we elect a democrat. Sure, there are exceptions to all of these time periods, but I think there's no denying the general trends of the day.  If Obama/Biden win and Emo dies within a year of two, more credibility will be lent to this theory.  Until the musical climate changes, I cannot play the type of music I respect and expect a warm reception. 

Please do not crucify me... This is only a theory and I'm curious to know if anyone else has had these same kinds of thoughts or agrees/disagrees. 

I just want music to go back to how it used to be in 60s/70s, when even the pop stars wrote good songs and musicians were the ones writing these good songs.  I know that day will come again and I would do anything to help it happen.

TJ of Doppler
www.dopplerband.com
Powered by BandVista.com

"I know when I started I would have been happy to sound like the Beatles or Joe Tex or whoever. You want to sound like most bands, you want to sound like their records and that's how you learn your chops."

- Jon Anderson of Yes

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 14:20
1968-1976 Nixon/Ford both republicans
1976-1980 Jimmy Carter democrat and disco and punk

Some major flaws in your theory
Smile

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
WinterLight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 14:26
You're assuming that there's a substantive difference between Republican and Democratic administrations.  In fact, such distinction is negligible (especially in the context of foreign policy), aside from proclamations (which rarely translate into actions) over various social policy.

But let's assume that the difference is meaningful.  Well, there are counterexamples to this hypothesis.  Prog rock arose during the infamous Nixon administration, and metal took flight during the Reagan years.  Admittedly, these are not necessarily similar genres, but they're certainly "guitar-driven" (though not quite so much in prog rock).

Still, culture does reflect the values of the ruling class to some extent; but generally popular culture (under which prog is subsumed) is by definition the culture of the people, whence it is frequently regarded as "lowbrow" (I personally disapprove of the label, but that's the reality here).
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 14:27
I think maybe you need some better Weed 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 14:48
A Flock of Seagulls and Culture Club are both British acts.

I don't think the US presidency had anything to do with anything (and probably won't).

mickstafa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 14:59
Nonsense. The only parallels between the President and the direction of pop music would be the abundance of music that relates to worldy events caused, in part, by current elected officials. While the butterfly effect certainly applies here, to make a direct causual relationship between the party of the American president and music is quite absurd.

If Green Day wasn't complaining about their disagreement with President Bush's foreign policies, they'd be complaining about something else; that is the nature of their music.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 16:32
this theory is pretty much off, however, i do agree musical trends do change and evolve with the political and social changes we all deal with. But this is always how it's been, it's just that in the last 100 years or so, it seems the musical trends change about every 8-10 years, whereas before it would take much longer, due to advancements in technology and the media.

btw listen to The Adventure of Greggory Peccary.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 20:01
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

1968-1976 Nixon/Ford both republicans

Smile

I was about to say, you have to take it backwards a couple more administrations at least to check if it's really a rule.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

1969-1977 Nixon/Ford both republicans

Smile

Fix'd (Can't forget that a president's term doesn't end until January! Lyndon Johnson was prez until Jan '69Wink)
I do agree though that the party in office has no bearing whatsoever on the music style of the time.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:56
Wilson 1913 - 1921 a democrat, a terrible divider, and he really f'ed up S. America. Jazz, Blues. No synths, no distorted guitar.

hheh heh.

Also Nirvana Pearl Jam, other NW bands that got popular, were around before Clinton, and famous too.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:16
90% of my favorite music came to be from 2000 and on during Republican rule...
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:19
can we please get in a president with taste and tact so that music will have interesting instruments again

goddamn ron paul
harps 2008
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 01:32
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

can we please get in a president with taste and tact so that music will have interesting instruments again

goddamn ron paul
harps 2008
That would almost get me to vote for him. The massive upheaval would probably be worth not having to hear horrible pop music anymore.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
 Post Reply Post Reply