Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Who

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2010 at 17:07
The Who flat out ROCK!!! They are the originators of the rock opera formula, copied by all and made Queen a household name. All four are legendary performers, thank goodness at least two are still keeping it alive. Did anyone see the NFL SuperBowl halftime show...That was very cool! Everyone young and old knows who The Who is.
Long live rock...long live The Who!

ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 15:49

Edited by ko - February 03 2010 at 16:16
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2010 at 16:38
I played the wife Live At Leeds at the weekend on the new home cinema system - she was deeply impressed.

'Nuff saidTongue
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Malve87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2010 at 12:31
I'm a HUGE fan of The WHO!Big smileBig smile

]
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2010 at 11:35
THE scene from TommyBig smile

"Yu're happy welcome in any favor ..."

Edited by ko - February 21 2010 at 23:40
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2010 at 21:27
My 2nd favorite band after the Pink Floyd. I listen to the Who more though. (3rd is Genesis btw).

I bought my CD copy of It's Hard for Christmas (yes I give gifts to myself)

The Who and Pete Townshend solo are definitely prog, for example Tommy, Quadrophenia, elements of the other albums, and overall approach, political, philosophical and musical depth and complexity. For Pete Townshend there is another two obvious concept albums, just to start.

The best albums of the Who:

1. Quadrophenia
2. Who's Next
3. The Who Sells Out
4. Who Are You
5. The Who By Numbers

6. Tommy
7. A Quick One
8. Face Dances

9. All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes [Pete Townshend]
10. It's Hard
11. White City: A Novel [Pete Townshend]

12. Empty Glass [Pete Townshend]
13. Whistle Rhymes [John Entwistle]
14. Smash Your Head Against the Wall [John Entwistle]

15. Iron Man [Pete Townshend]
16. My Generation
17. Mad Dog [John Entwistle]

18. Psychoderelict [Pete Townshend]
19. Too Late the Hero [John Entwistle]
20. Endless Wire

ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 08:45

Legendary gig at Charlton1974, almost complete, The Who at their best>>>

Edited by ko - February 21 2010 at 23:35
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 22:04
Classic band. I'm a big fan. I still don't think they've quite got their due, as others like Led Zep and the Stones have done. The Who influenced prog, metal, and even punk. 

Of the 60s Big Four, I rank them as thus:

The Who/The Kinks (tied for first place. Can't decide)
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones (I like them well enough, but they still havent really 'clicked' for me)
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 20:32
Originally posted by TheLastBaron TheLastBaron wrote:

Classic band man, so good in so many ways. I love the who, was a huge fan starting in high school and still am. the schools marching band performed tommy in its entirety, all instrumentally and they did a standup job. the who is definitely one of those bands that is so influential and timeless in my opinion, all great musicians, very talented and unique.

The marching band did it in its entirety?!
Very cool! But when/where/how did they perform it?
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
TheLastBaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 17:07
Classic band man, so good in so many ways. I love the who, was a huge fan starting in high school and still am. the schools marching band performed tommy in its entirety, all instrumentally and they did a standup job. the who is definitely one of those bands that is so influential and timeless in my opinion, all great musicians, very talented and unique.
" Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." - FDR
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 14:09

Say It Aint So Joe< Roger Daltrey live with John Entwistle, Keith Moon and Jimmy McCulloch, 1977

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bVGTVrQd6M StarStarStarStarStar Pete Townshend >Magic Bus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfL4MlEIB4Q

Edited by ko - December 29 2009 at 14:51
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 10:32
Originally posted by Xanthous Xanthous wrote:

Never liked The Who. Most of their songs really bore me but once in awhile I'll find one that is decent.
I can understand that sentiment Xanthous.

For some reason The Who never really did it for me either. That is until I bought the Classic Albums DVD for Who's Next. I nabbed it as I wanted to know more about them.

I watched the DVD and everything just seemed to click. After all the years of saying 'Yeah...well I like some of their songs.' I suddenly found my way into the music. I think it had to do with seeing how Townsend and the band created their material. This wasn't stuff that was just thrown together on a whim. Pete carefully crafted material as an incerdible set of demos (a lot of which were often used on the finished product) and then he gave it to the band who added the muscle and the balls.

I am a convert.

Edited by sigod - December 07 2009 at 10:34
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 06:39
Pete Townshend was re- writing the whole Tommy for the movie. Some tracks are really amazing, e.g. this Acid Queen version (it's the film version, not short version on the original double lp soundtrack).
Just listen how part of 5:15 track (Quadrophenia), and amazing bass soloing by John Entwistle, meets Tina Turner's R'n'B and "spaceship"-like sound effects...Enjoy !

PS ...or, the film version of "Pinball Wizard, where Elton John meets that intro of  "I Can't Explain"--
----in this PW version --- as outro of the track!
To me, the holy trinity of the songwriters are Mr. Pete Townshend, Mr. Peter Gabriel and Mr. Alex Chilton.

Edited by ko - November 19 2009 at 15:13
Xanthous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 21:09
Never liked The Who. Most of their songs really bore me but once in awhile I'll find one that is decent.
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2009 at 08:18

this is pretty prog...a remix of The Who classic  ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb7Ep48cJNQ

Edited by ko - November 14 2009 at 08:26
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 09:37
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2009 at 07:16
BTW, has Quadrophenia ever been remastered or is it still the old Fatboy double jewel case  of the 80's???? ....

I've never seen it  in a modern remastered packaging (although I have to admit never searching for it either)
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 19:10
Originally posted by Gustavo Froes Gustavo Froes wrote:

Well,I guess the main problem with the 'prog-related' sub-genre(and probably the reason why it's so polemic in the site) is not knowing exactly what specific element in one's music makes it worth the tag.I agree about some clear prog  references in Quadrophenia(not so much for Tommy).But is it enough to justify The Who's entire discography being included here?In therms of artisitc expression they were of undeniable importance in the late 60's,then again the slightest sign of proto-prog is very remote in albums like A Qucik One or Sell Out,although they were very 'progressive' in the sense of being mind-opening and technically controversial at the time.

In foirst place, remember I was againstt The Who being added when suggested, but once added, I had yto be honest and accept that at least two albums had some Prog Relation.

And according to Prog Archives, one album here = All the discography here.

Remember Miles Davis, the site added albums from 1945, almost 20 years before the first ssigns of Proto Prog appeared.

Kind of Blue from 1958, when there was no Prog was the most popular album of one week, sounds contradictory, but that's how the site acts, and we have to accept it.

Iván

Gustavo Froes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 18:38
Well,I guess the main problem with the 'prog-related' sub-genre(and probably the reason why it's so polemic in the site) is not knowing exactly what specific element in one's music makes it worth the tag.I agree about some clear prog  references in Quadrophenia(not so much for Tommy).But is it enough to justify The Who's entire discography being included here?In therms of artisitc expression they were of undeniable importance in the late 60's,then again the slightest sign of proto-prog is very remote in albums like A Qucik One or Sell Out,although they were very 'progressive' in the sense of being mind-opening and technically controversial at the time.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 08:52
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Ivan makes a subtle and far too often overlooked distinction here which I endorse i.e. why should flawed prog be held in higher regard than very good plain vanilla rock music ? For me, both Quadrophenia and Tommy sound like a band clearly overreaching themselves, and although I applaud their ambition, daring and innovation, (isolated parts of both records are legitimately successful prog creations) it seems self evident that only Townshend would have had the requisite vision, stamina and ability to sustain such material further into the Who's future. Daltry, Moon and Entwistle just appear inhibited and uncomfortable on the proggier output. For this reason the routinely dismissed By Numbers is probably my favourite Who album and why ? because Townshend had reconciled himself to both his own and his collaborators limitations and proceeded thereafter to 'just' produce excellent rock music. (As if that wasn't sufficient ?)

Pete Townshend is a brilliant songwriter first and a progressive instrumental composer second.

Good point. Clap

I get really confused when some people say "Why do X band that is so good is not here?"

They seem to believe that being in Prog Archives is like winning an Emmy and that only Prog bands are good.

For God's sake, I won't even dare top compare "Starcastle" with "The Who", "Fleetwood Mac" or even "Boston" in quality, the three mentioned are better than a clone band that brought nothing new and only lived at the shadow of Yes.....But Starcastle are Prog and the others I don't believe so.

Lets put things in it's place, great, good, average,. mediocre, bad and terrible Progressive Rock bands belong here....Excellent non Prog bands, no matter how great they are, don't belong here, because Prog Archives is not a certificate of quality, but a Progressive Rock database.

Iván

BTW: I believe the case of The Who is borderline, even when I don't agree with their inclusion, despite they are among my all time favourite bands, at least Tommy and Quadrophenia have some clear Prog elements.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>